Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Book a 'Slap in
the Face' to
Apr 1, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
Trump's Photo Book a 'Slap in the Face' to WH Photographer
Trump was to write foreword for Shealah Craighead's book; then he put out his own
- Since the Reagan presidency, official White House photographers have capped off their stints at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue with a photo book, sometimes complete with a foreword from their former bosses. But when it came time for Donald Trump to leave the Oval Office, "the plan by his chief photographer,...
200 Naked People Weren't
at Dead Sea for a Swim
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
200 Naked People Weren't at Dead Sea for a Swim
Painted and nude, they were part of US artist Spencer Tunick's latest installation on climate change
- It's not uncommon to see people in their swim trunks along the shores of the Dead Sea. What is uncommon is hundreds of naked people in white body paint congregating there, but the hordes that gathered over the weekend weren't there to take a dip in the famous...
We Know How That Utah
Dec 1, 2020 11:34 AM CST
We Know How That Utah Monolith Disappeared
4 guys dismantled it at night, a photographer tells the 'New York Times'
- So where will a monolith turn up next? First, one popped up in the Utah desert, only to vanish . Then another turned up in Romania , but now it's gone, too. While nobody seems to know exactly what's going on, the
New York Times
has at least shed light...
'I Am Truly
Sep 17, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
'I Am Truly Sorry': Teen Admits He Helped Kill Photographer
Jaden Churchheus takes bended knee in an Ohio court
- An Ohio teenager admitted Wednesday to his role in killing a photographer by mistake,
reports. Jaden Churchheus, 17, said in court that he and another teen pushed a log off a cliff that killed Victoria Schafer as she snapped photos in Hocking Hills State Park. "That day at...
Model From 'Blurred Lines'
Video Makes Big Accusation
Sep 17, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Model From 'Blurred Lines' Video Makes Big Accusation
Emily Ratajkowski says photographer Jonathan Leder sexually assaulted her in 2012
- Model and actress Emily Ratajkowski has penned an essay for
magazine, in which she claims she was sexually assaulted by photographer Jonathan Leder in 2012, before making it big. Ratajkowski, who came to stardom in Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" music video, had met with Leder at...
NBA to Photog
Aug 16, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
NBA to Photog Who Posted Harris Meme: You're Fired
Bill Baptist apologized, but it was too late
- An NBA photographer is out of a job after sharing a sexist meme that apparently mocked Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, CNN reports. The photog, Bill Baptist, posted a faux logo for the Democratic ticket that read, "Joe and the Hoe." Former WNBA Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes...
She First Saw the
Beatles in 1960.
Then, 'My Whole
May 16, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
She First Saw the Beatles in 1960. Then, 'My Whole Life Changed'
Astrid Kirchherr, who took iconic black-and-white photos of the Fab Four, is dead at 81
- Astrid Kirchherr, the German photographer who shot some of the earliest and most striking images of the Beatles and helped shape their trendsetting visual style, has died at age 81. She died Wednesday in her native Hamburg, days before her 82nd birthday. Her death was first announced by Beatles historian...
Peter Beard Found Dead
Apr 20, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
Wildlife Photographer Peter Beard Found Dead
'He died where he lived: in nature'
- Artist, adventurer, and celebrated wildlife photographer Peter Beard has been found dead in woods near his cliff-side home at the tip of Long Island nearly a month after his family reported him missing. He was 82. "He died where he lived: in nature,” his family said in a...
She Was Killed by
a Falling Log. Now,
for 2 Teens
Nov 8, 2019 11:56 AM CST
She Was Killed by a Falling Log. Now, Murder Charges for 2 Teens
Jaden Churchheus and Jordan Buckley, both 16, will be tried as adults in death of Victoria Schafer
- Two Ohio teens have been charged with murder after a photographer was killed in September by a log pushed off a cliff. CBS News reports Jaden Churchheus and Jordan Buckley, both 16, are accused in the death of 44-year-old mom of four Victoria Schafer, who was taking senior pictures on...
Teens Charged With
Murder in Photog's Death
Oct 26, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Teens Charged With Murder in Photog's Death
Jaden Churchheus and Jordan Buckley, 16, apparently showed a 'lack of remorse'
- Two Ohio teens accused of killing a photographer with a 74-pound log will be tried as adults, Cleveland.com reports. Jaden Churchheus and Jordan Buckley, 16, apparently shoved the log off a cliff last month, killing 44-year-old Victoria Schafer as she took photos of high school students near Old Man’...
Oct 12, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
2 Teenagers Arrested in Woman's Odd Death
Ohio state photographer Victoria Schafer was killed by a falling log
- Last month, an Ohio state photographer was killed by a falling log . Now two teens have been arrested for allegedly forcing that log over a cliff, the
Dayton Daily News
reports. Victoria Schafer died Sept. 2 when the 80-pound log hit her near Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills...
He Took an
Iconic Pic, Then
Hid the Film
in the Toilet
Sep 13, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
He Took an Iconic Pic, Then Hid the Film in the Toilet
Charlie Cole snapped one of the historic shots in China's Tiananmen Square in June 1989
- As Charlie Cole stood on a hotel balcony overlooking Tiananmen Square on June 5, 1989, a a stunning sight unfolded before his eyes. A man on the street below defiantly placed himself directly in front of a line of Chinese military tanks sent to disrupt the pro-democracy protests there, and...
A 'Giant of Photography' Is Dead
Sep 10, 2019 11:39 AM CDT
A 'Giant of Photography' Is Dead
Robert Frank is considered one of the 20th century's greatest photographers
- Robert Frank, a giant of 20th century photography whose seminal book
captured singular, candid moments of the 1950s and helped free picture-taking from the boundaries of clean lighting and linear composition, has died. He was 94, the AP reports. Frank died Monday on Cape Breton Island in Nova...
Says He 'Felt
Jun 19, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Photographer Says He 'Felt Journalistic Duty'
Gunman had just opened fire at courthouse
Dallas Morning News
sent photographer Tom Fox downtown to take a photo of a fraud defendant when she arrived at the federal courthouse Monday morning. He got something better, the
New York Times
reports: A man in the middle of a shooting rampage, in tactical gear, carrying a military-style,...
Hostage Last Seen in Video
2 Years Ago May Be Alive
Feb 5, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Hostage Last Seen in Video 2 Years Ago May Be Alive
John Cantlie was kidnapped in 2012
- In November 2012, British war photographer John Cantlie and American journalist James Foley were kidnapped in Syria and held by ISIS. In August 2014, Foley was beheaded. Now comes word that the British government believes Cantlie is still alive more than six years later, and still being held by ISIS....
Photojournalist Aired Abuses
in China. Now He's Missing
Nov 30, 2018 9:30 AM CST
Photojournalist Aired Abuses in China. Now He's Missing
Wife says Lu Guang was last heard from on Nov. 3
- A renowned photojournalist whose images have shed light on the challenges of China's economic rise hasn't been heard from in almost a month and is believed to be in state custody. Lu Guang, a first-place winner at the 2004 World Press Photo awards, had been meeting with photographers...
This Image of Trump Volunteer
Aug 31, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
This Image of Trump Volunteer Angers Journalists
Man is seen blocking camera of photographer trying to capture image of protester
- A volunteer member of the advance team for President Trump blocked a photojournalist's camera as he tried to take a photo of a protester during a campaign rally in Indiana, per the AP . A photo taken by Associated Press photographer Evan Vucci on Thursday in Evansville shows the volunteer...
Maybe We Made 'a Mistake'
Jul 28, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Starving-Bear Photographer: Maybe We Made 'a Mistake'
Cristina Mittermeier mulls her incredibly famous footage
- An estimated 2.5 billion people saw the image: a starving polar bear struggling across an Arctic landscape. "The mission was a success, but there was a problem: We had lost control of the narrative," writes Cristina Mittermeier in
. Accompanied by a photographic team, she snapped...
'She Died Doing What She
Loved With the One She Loved'
Jun 8, 2018 6:47 AM CDT
'She Died Doing What She Loved With the One She Loved'
Urban explorer mourned following Philadelphia drowning
- An urban explorer and photographer known for her images of abandoned spaces is being mourned as a "queen" of her Philadelphia community days after she died doing what she loved. Rebecca Bunting, 30, was taking photos inside a storm drain with her boyfriend Saturday when she was swept away...
Man Who Won a Pulitzer
With This Photo Dies at 104
Feb 20, 2018 12:15 AM CST
Man Who Won a Pulitzer With This Photo Dies at 104
Max Desfor joined the AP as a messenger in 1933
- Former Associated Press photographer Max Desfor, whose photo of hundreds of Korean War refugees crawling across a damaged bridge in 1950 helped win him a Pulitzer Prize, died Monday. He was 104. Desfor died at his apartment in Silver Spring, Md., where he'd been living in his retirement, said...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.