Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Chinese Defector: I'll Wait
'Months' in Airport If I Have to
Sep 26, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Chinese Defector: I'll Wait 'Months' in Airport If I Have to
Tiananmen Square critic Chen Siming says he feels safe in Taiwan, though he wants to go to US
- A Chinese dissident known for his commemorations of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre is currently holed up in a Taiwan airport, pleading for asylum from the United States, or Canada if the US won't take him. Chen Siming has been hunkered down since Friday at Taoyuan International Airport near...
Court Hands Biden
Big Win on Border
Aug 4, 2023 4:14 AM CDT
Court Hands Biden Administration a Big Win on Border
Asylum restrictions can stay in place for now, court rules
- An appeals court Thursday allowed a rule restricting asylum at the southern border to temporarily stay in place. The decision is a major win for the Biden administration, which had argued that the rule was integral to its efforts to maintain order along the US-Mexico border, the AP reports. The...
Jul 7, 2023 5:06 PM CDT
Immigration Clash Brings Down Dutch Government
Parties in Mark Rutte's coalition can't agree on steps to limit number of people seeking asylum
- Mark Rutte, the Netherlands' longest-serving prime minister, announced his resignation, and that of his Cabinet members, on Friday. His ruling coalition was undone by its inability to reach agreement on how to limit the number of immigrants seeking asylum in the country,
the New York Times
reports. "It is...
There May Be a Border 'Crisis'
as Pandemic-Era Rule Expires
May 11, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
There May Be a Border 'Crisis' as Pandemic-Era Rule Expires
Influx of asylum-seekers is expected at US-Mexico border
- Media outlets are warning of an impending "border crisis" (and the president himself is predicting some "chaos" ) as Title 42, the pandemic-era border policy that allowed officials to quickly expel migrants to Mexico, comes to an end. The BBC reports that's happening at 11:59pm Eastern...
White House Mirrors Trump-Era
Attempt to Limit Asylum
Feb 22, 2023 2:00 AM CST
White House Mirrors Trump-Era Attempt to Limit Asylum
The measure is expected to take effect when pandemic-era Title 42 expires
- The Biden administration said Tuesday that it will generally deny asylum to migrants who show up at the US southern border without first seeking protection in a country they passed through, mirroring an attempt by the Trump administration that never took effect because it was blocked in court, the AP...
Hundreds of Child
Are Missing in UK
Jan 25, 2023 1:09 PM CST
Hundreds of Child Asylum-Seekers Are Missing in UK
Lawmakers fear they've been seized by traffickers, demand investigation
- Hundreds of child asylum-seekers have disappeared from government-approved accommodations in Britain within the last two years, Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick said Tuesday. The unaccompanied minors were housed in contracted hotels as the usual asylum accommodation system was overwhelmed . "Out of the 4,600 unaccompanied children that have been accommodated...
Border Policy in
Dec 27, 2022 5:00 PM CST
SCOTUS Leaves Border Policy in Place Indefinitely
Court extends pandemic-era limits
- The Supreme Court is keeping pandemic-era limits on immigration in place indefinitely, dashing hopes of immigration advocates who had been anticipating their end this week. In a ruling Tuesday, the Supreme Court extended a temporary stay that Chief Justice John Roberts issued last week. Under the court’s order, the...
Asks SCOTUS to
Dec 21, 2022 12:04 AM CST
White House Asks SCOTUS to Lift Trump-Era Border Policy
High court had previously temporarily blocked the lifting of the asylum restrictions
- The Biden administration on Tuesday asked the Supreme Court to lift Trump-era asylum restrictions—but not necessarily on Wednesday, when they were originally set to expire before the high court temporarily blocked that from happening. A coalition of conservative states is seeking to keep the Title 42 border policy in...
Chess Prodigy, 12,
Is Granted Asylum
Dec 15, 2022 12:37 PM CST
Chess Prodigy, 12, Is Granted Asylum
Nigerian Tani Adewumi, 12, can now travel globally for chess competitions
- In 2019, 8-year-old Tanitoluwa "Tani" Adewumi defeated 73 of the best players in his age group at a New York state chess championship, breaking a record by doing so. Now, three years later, he "just won his biggest match" ever, per NPR : The now-12-year-old Nigerian boy and his...
Not Want to
Return to US
Sep 27, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
'Fat Leonard' Really Does Not Want to Return to US
Fugitive seeks asylum in Venezuela, according to anonymous law enforcement official
- The fugitive defense contractor nicknamed “Fat Leonard" who orchestrated a huge bribery scheme involving dozens of US Navy officials, has requested asylum in Venezuela, a law enforcement official said Monday, nearly a week after he was captured in the South American country. Leonard Glenn Francis slipped away from house...
SCOTUS to Biden:
'Remain in Mexico' Policy
Aug 25, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Biden: Reinstate Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy
High court refuses to block lower court ruling
- The Supreme Court says the Biden administration likely violated federal law in trying to end a Trump-era program that forces people to wait in Mexico while seeking asylum in the US. With three liberal justices in dissent, the high court on Tuesday refused to block a lower court ruling ordering...
by Barr, Sessions
Jun 16, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Garland Tosses Asylum Opinions by Barr, Sessions
Immigration judge should drop the old rules, attorney general says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland moved Wednesday to undo a pair of immigration decisions by Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr. The opinions by Garland's predecessors put limits on who could qualify for asylum by claiming to be a persecuted member of a "particular social group," the Hill reports,...
Migrants Made to 'Remain in
Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Feb 12, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Migrants Made to 'Remain in Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Biden administration rolls back Trump DHS program, will start letting asylum-seekers trickle in
- Starting next Friday, asylum-seekers languishing south of the border will start to see a respite. Under the Trump administration, Central American migrants trying to cross into the US from Mexico were made to "Remain in Mexico"—Trump's name for the Migrant Protection Protocols program , set up in...
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Oct 19, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Court won't look at the case until 2021, though—meaning it may be moot if Biden is elected
- The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to review a Trump administration policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings. As is typical, the court didn't comment in announcing it would hear the case. Because the court's calendar is already full through the end of the...
Canada Court Invalidates
Asylum Agreement With US
Jul 23, 2020 1:10 AM CDT
Canada Court Invalidates Asylum Agreement With US
But decision is delayed for 6 months
- A Canadian court Wednesday invalidated the country’s Safe Third Country Agreement with the United States, ruling elements of the law violate Canadian constitutional guarantees of life, liberty and security, the AP reports. But Federal Court Justice Ann Marie McDonald delayed the implementation of her decision for six months to...
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Continue
Mar 11, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Continue
SCOTUS allows controversial policy to stay in place for now
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it would allow the Trump administration to continue enforcing a policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings, despite lower court rulings that the policy probably is illegal, the AP reports. The justices' order, over a dissenting vote by Justice Sonia...
Trump Loses on
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy in Court
Feb 28, 2020 1:56 PM CST
Trump Loses on 'Remain in Mexico' Policy in Court
Nearly 60K people have been returned to wait for asylum hearings
- A federal appeals court on Friday temporarily halted a Trump administration policy to make asylum seekers wait in Mexico while their cases wind through US immigration courts. The same court decided to keep another major change on hold, one that denies asylum to anyone who enters the US illegally from...
The US Deported Them.
138 Are Now Dead
Feb 5, 2020 7:11 AM CST
The US Deported Them. 138 Are Now Dead
Human Rights Watch documents cases of murdered Salvadorans
- The report is called "Deported to Danger," and for at least 138 Salvadorans, danger is putting it too mildly. In its report released Wednesday, Human Rights Watch says that's the number of migrants and asylum seekers that were murdered after the US deported them back to El...
Trump Pact With Honduras
'Seals Off' Central America
Sep 26, 2019 5:18 AM CDT
Trump Pact With Honduras 'Seals Off' Central America
Administration signs deal to send asylum seekers to country
- The Trump administration signed a deal Wednesday with a third Central American country that would effectively seal off the region, preventing asylum-seekers traveling through from entering the United States, the AP reports. The latest agreement, signed on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, paves the way to send asylum-seekers...
France Dismisses Snowden's
Latest Asylum Request
Sep 19, 2019 1:52 AM CDT
France Dismisses Snowden's Latest Asylum Request
It's 'not the time,' foreign minister says
- France's foreign minister says "it's not the time" to grant a new asylum request from former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, the AP reports. Snowden has been living in Russia to escape US prosecution after leaking classified documents detailing government surveillance programs. Asking France again for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.