Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
but Not Trump
Jun 2, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
FEC Fines Enquirer Owner Over Payment but Not Trump
Company that was run by David Pecker to pay $187K in McDougal case
- The Federal Election Commission has fined the publisher of the National Enquirer over its involvement in a payment made to keep Karen McDougal, a former Playboy model who said she had an affair with Donald Trump, to keep quiet about the relationship during the 2016 presidential campaign. The $150,000...
Now, He's Out
Aug 22, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Helped Bury Stories. Now, He's Out
Parent company American Media Inc. is being taken over by logistics firm Accelerate360
- David Pecker is stepping down as CEO of the
's parent, ending a reign that saw the company entangled in a campaign finance scandal that sent President Trump's personal lawyer to jail. Pecker's company, American Media Inc., is being taken over by Accelerate360, a logistics firm...
Bezos Hit With Lawsuit
From Girlfriend's Brother
Feb 3, 2020 8:53 AM CST
Bezos Hit With Lawsuit From Girlfriend's Brother
Michael Sanchez sues for defamation
- Jeff Bezos and girlfriend Lauren Sanchez made it red-carpet official last month, but February brings a new set of headlines tied to their union. It emerged late Sunday that Sanchez's brother, Michael Sanchez, on Friday sued the Amazon founder for defamation. He alleges that Bezos and his security consultant,...
Who Says She Had
Affair With Trump,
Sues Fox News
Dec 5, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Karen McDougal, Who Says She Had Affair With Trump, Sues Fox News
Tucker Carlson defamed her by referring to extortion, lawsuit says
- Karen McDougal, the former Playboy model who says she had an affair with Donald Trump before he was president, filed a defamation suit Thursday against Fox News. McDougal received $150,000 that Michael Cohen, Trump's lawyer, has said came from him. In December 2018, Fox host Tucker Carlson said...
NBC Exec Comes Out Fighting
After Farrow Accusations
Oct 15, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
NBC Exec Comes Out Fighting After Farrow Accusations
Network's president says ex-employee has 'an ax to grind'
- Ronan Farrow's name is spread across headlines Tuesday as his new expose hits bookshelves. From
Catch and Kill
, CNN pulls the claim that
Editor-in-Chief Dylan Howard directed staffers to shred "a Trump-related document" held in a safe as reporters investigated the tabloid's "catch and...
Here's Who Bought
Apr 18, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Here's Who Bought
Along with the rest of American Media's tabloid business
is being sold to the former head of the airport newsstand company Hudson News, the AP reports. Tabloid owner American Media says it is selling the supermarket weekly to James Cohen. The deal comes after a rocky year for the tabloid in which it was caught up...
Hedge Fund Boss
Wants to Offload
Apr 11, 2019 4:23 AM CDT
Report: 'Disgusted' Hedge Fund Boss Wants to Offload
Parent company is seeking bids for tabloid
- With a possible lawsuit from Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos looming, the parent company of the
is seeking to offload the troubled tabloid. American Media says it is considering a sale so that it can focus on other parts of its business, the AP reports. "We feel the...
Bezos' Security Honcho
Finished His Probe.
Here's What He Found
Mar 31, 2019 7:22 AM CDT
Bezos' Security Honcho Finished His Probe. Here's What He Found
Gavin de Becker fingers Saudi Arabia
- In a lengthy piece posted to the Daily Beast , Jeff Bezos' investigator, Gavin de Becker, reveals what his investigation into the
publication of a story about Bezos' relationship with Lauren Sanchez turned up: that the Saudis accessed his boss' phone and "gained private information" from it....
for the Bezos Texts:
Mar 19, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Paid Mightily for the Bezos Texts:
American Media boss was outraged by upfront payment, sources say
- The brother of Jeff Bezos' girlfriend provided the
with racy texts the Amazon founder sent to Lauren Sanchez and was handsomely rewarded for doing so, sources tell the
Wall Street Journal.
The insiders say David Pecker, CEO of
parent company American Media Inc. and an associate of...
Brother of Bezos
Mistress Speaks Out
Feb 15, 2019 3:38 AM CST
Brother of Bezos Mistress Speaks Out
Michael Sanchez says affair is a 'legendary romance'
- Yet another twist in the Bezos-Sanchez saga: Michael Sanchez, brother of Lauren Sanchez, has hinted that he leaked explicit texts between his sister and Jeff Bezos to the
—but not explicit photos. He tells
that he did not supply the "d--- pics" the tabloid's...
AMI Lawyer Says Bezos
Threat 'Wasn't a Crime'
Feb 11, 2019 12:21 AM CST
AMI Lawyer Says Bezos Threat 'Wasn't a Crime'
He says Amazon CEO knows who source was
committed neither extortion nor blackmail by threatening to publish intimate photos of Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, an attorney for the head of the tabloid's parent company said Sunday. Elkan Abramowitz, an attorney for American Media Inc. chief executive David Pecker, said on Sunday a "reliable...
Bezos' Blackmail Claims
Get a Response From AMI
Feb 8, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Bezos' Blackmail Claims Get a Response From AMI
And more on the Amazon founder's allegations of blackmail
- Jeff Bezos was made an offer he couldn't refuse and refused it, very publicly, on Thursday, by way of a Medium blog post that outlined
parent company American Media Inc.'s (AMI) alleged attempt to blackmail him with sexual photos. AMI responded Friday morning with a...
Ronan Farrow Says AMI
Tried to Blackmail Him
Feb 8, 2019 1:08 AM CST
Ronan Farrow Says AMI Tried to Blackmail Him
Jeff Bezos wasn't the only one, he says
- Hours after Jeff Bezos accused the
's parent company of blackmail , Ronan Farrow said American Media Inc. had done the same thing to him and at least one other journalist. Farrow tweeted Thursday night that after breaking stories on the
r's "catch and kill" arrangement with...
Jeff Bezos Accuses Owner
Feb 7, 2019 6:19 PM CST
Jeff Bezos Accuses Owner of
He says David Pecker's American Media is threatening him over photos and texts
- Jeff Bezos has just put up a remarkable blog post on Medium in which he accuses the publisher of the
of "extortion and blackmail." The Amazon CEO says that instead of giving in, he's going public with the threats—even publishing the letters sent to...
After Racy Texts Leak,
Bezos Launches Investigation
Feb 1, 2019 6:00 AM CST
After Racy Texts Leak, Bezos Launches Investigation
'Strong leads point to political motives'
- The world's richest man doesn't know how his racy text messages to Lauren Sanchez ended up in the
—but he can afford to hire private investigators to find out. Gavin de Becker, longtime security chief for Jeff Bezos, is leading the privately funded investigation. He...
Cops to Hush-Money Payment
Dec 12, 2018 3:58 PM CST
Publisher Cops to Hush-Money Payment
American Media won't be prosecuted, signs plea deal
- The US attorney's office in New York says it won't prosecute the
's parent company over its efforts to suppress an embarrassing story about Donald Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign, the AP reports. The agreement was announced Wednesday shortly after former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen...
New Report on Hush Payments
Could Be Bad News for Trump
Nov 9, 2018 1:50 PM CST
New Report on Hush Payments Could Be Bad News for Trump
'WSJ' says he was directly involved at 'nearly every step' in arranging payments to women
Wall Street Journal
is out with an investigative report on President Trump asserting that he played a direct role in arranging hush-money payments to women alleging affairs with him, despite two years of denials. Trump "was involved in or briefed on nearly every step of the agreements,"...
Had 20 Years
of Buried Trump Stories
Aug 30, 2018 1:07 PM CDT
Had 20 Years of Buried Trump Stories
President tried to buy them all, says the 'New York Times'
- Last week, the AP reported that the
kept unpublished stories about Donald Trump locked away in safe . Now the
New York Times
adds a coda: Trump tried to buy everything in that safe, stories going back about 20 years. The newspaper reports that Trump discussed the strategy with...
Ex-Doorman Can Talk About
Trump's 'Illegitimate Child'
Aug 25, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
Ex-Doorman Can Talk About Trump's 'Illegitimate Child'
Dino Sajudin is freed from his 'catch-and-kill' contract
- The former doorman who claimed President Trump had an illegitimate child with a housekeeper is now legally allowed to talk about it, CNN reports. AMI, the
's parent company, has relieved Dino Sajudin from a so-called "catch-and-kill" contract that gave him $30,000 but threatened a $1...
Trump Stories in a Safe
Aug 24, 2018 5:43 AM CDT
Stashed Trump Stories in a Safe
They were moved before the inauguration, sources say
kept a safe containing documents on hush money payments and other damaging stories it killed as part of its cozy relationship with Donald Trump leading up to the 2016 presidential election, people familiar with the arrangement tell the AP . The detail came amid reports that federal prosecutors...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
Trapped in Car, Woman Dies at Edge of Niagara Falls
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.