Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Rant at Prosecutors
Has Roots in Growing Narrative
Feb 6, 2022 1:20 PM CST
Trump Rant at Prosecutors Has Roots in Growing Narrative
'White replacement theory' is driving a movement
- Looking out at a sea of faces at a Texas fairground, most of them white, former President Donald Trump seethed about his legal troubles and blamed them on malicious prosecutors. "These prosecutors are vicious, horrible people. They're racists and they're very sick, they're mentally sick,"...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
Governor Slams Tweet Offering
$500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Nov 19, 2021 1:38 PM CST
Governor Slams Tweet Offering $500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Moms for Liberty group offers reward for educators breaking state law on racism discussions
- Last week, New Hampshire's Department of Education announced it had set up an online portal where parents could lodge discrimination complaints against teachers. Now, the state's governor is slamming a local conservative group's response to that announcement, reports the AP . New Hampshire has a new law on...
Newsom Signs Bill to Allow
Giving Family Its Land Back
Sep 30, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Newsom Signs Bill to Allow Giving Family Its Land Back
California city seized Black resort property in the 1920s
Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a law Thursday to permit the return of a piece of California beachfront to the family it was taken from almost 100 years ago. Several descendants of the Black couple who built a resort on the land attended the ceremony, and the governor apologized to...
Nobel Peace Prize for Black
Lives Matter? Nomination Is In
Jan 30, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Nobel Peace Prize for Black Lives Matter? Nomination Is In
Norwegian MP praises movement for inspiring fight for racial justice worldwide
- On Saturday, in an online ceremony in Stockholm, the $100,000 Olof Palme human rights award will be bestowed upon the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, recognizing the BLM movement for its promotion of "peaceful civil disobedience against police brutality and racial violence," organizers say, per the...
's Person of the Year
Comes Down to These 4
Dec 10, 2020 10:40 AM CST
's Person of the Year Comes Down to These 4
Recipient to be named Thursday on NBC
- For the fifth straight year, Donald Trump is on the short list for
's Person of the Year. The president is one of four finalists revealed Wednesday on the
show . The person "who affected the news or our lives the most, for better or worse" in...
Sep 3, 2020 8:40 AM CDT
Lawsuit Filed Over Century-Old 'Massacre in Slow Motion'
105-year-old leads plaintiffs in demanding reparations for destroying 'Black Wall Street'
- Lessie Benningfield "Mother" Randle was just a child when the Greenwood area of Tulsa, Okla., (aka "Black Wall Street") was attacked by a white mob and burned down in the spring of 1921, killing an estimated 300 Black Americans. Now a lawsuit led by Randle, 105—who...
Coming to NFL Games: the
Black National Anthem
Jul 3, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Coming to NFL Games: the Black National Anthem
'Lift Every Voice and Sing' will be performed before 'Star-Spangled Banner' during Week 1
- The NFL isn't dropping the national anthem, but it is, at least for a week, adding the song known as the Black national anthem. "Lift Every Voice and Sing" will be performed before every kickoff during the opening week of the NFL season, a source tells outlets including...
CEO to Take
Jun 17, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
America's 'Painful' Times Inspire One CEO to Take Action
Reed Hastings and wife Patty Quillin donate $120M
- The top guy at Netflix and his wife just made a major donation to black colleges and say they hope others will do the same, NBC News reports. Company CEO Reed Hastings and Patty Quillin said Wednesday they're giving $120 million to two historically black colleges and the United...
Jun 12, 2020 6:18 AM CDT
Workers Slam Starbucks' 'Hypocritical' Ban
Company won't let employees wear 'Black Lives Matter' clothing, accessories
- Last week, Starbucks made its pinned tweet one with a timely message: "Black lives matter. We are committed to being a part of change." This week, per the Hill , some are calling the company's stance a disingenuous one in light of its recent enforcement of a dress...
but With a Caveat
Jun 11, 2020 1:13 PM CDT
Mayor Says He's 'Pro-Black,' but With a Caveat
NJ's Sal Bonaccorso takes heat for 'all the good black people that I know in my life' remark
- A New Jersey mayor perhaps thought his words would smooth things over at an anti-discrimination rally over the weekend, but his speech just ended up earning him backlash. Mayor Sal Bonaccorso showed up at a gathering of between 50 to 100 people in Clark Township on Saturday, where he wasn'...
to Drew Brees:
'I Can't Let This Slide'
Jun 4, 2020 6:50 AM CDT
Teammate to Drew Brees: 'I Can't Let This Slide'
Saints quarterback had spoken out against 'disrespecting the flag'
- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees told Yahoo Finance on Wednesday that he would not support protesting players kneeling during the national anthem this season. "I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America,” Brees said in response to a question about...
Mar 30, 2020 7:25 PM CDT
Democrats Want Racial Data Collected in Pandemic
Lack of information impairs efforts to address disparities in care, lawmakers say
- Democratic lawmakers are calling out an apparent lack of racial data that they say is needed to monitor and address disparities in the national response to the coronavirus outbreak. In a letter sent Friday to Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Rep. Ayanna Pressley, both...
Oct 25, 2019 4:07 PM CDT
Trump Tells Black College He Knows Unfairness
South Carolina event involved criminal justice reform
- Addressing the treatment of black Americans in the criminal justice system, President Trump told an audience at a historically black college on Friday that he's had his "own experience" with unfair treatment. Days after calling the impeachment inquiry " a lynching ," Trump said in a speech at...
David Brooks Changes
His Mind on Reparations
Mar 8, 2019 2:50 PM CST
David Brooks Changes His Mind on Reparations
'Times' columnist thinks they might be the only way to heal the race divide
- Five years ago, one of the most prominent black pundits, Ta-Nehisi Coates, made the case that the US should pay reparations to African-Americans over slavery. At the time,
New York Times
columnist David Brooks, who is white, was skeptical. "What about the recent African immigrants?" he recalls thinking. "...
Race Debate Rages After Halsey
Tweet About Hotel Shampoo
Apr 30, 2018 7:00 PM CDT
Race Debate Rages After Halsey Tweet About Hotel Shampoo
The singer said hotels only have 'white people shampoo'
- A singer has sparked a race debate with a complaint about the type of shampoo provided by most hotels. Taking to Twitter , Halsey asserted that the haircare products that hotel chains give to guests are useless for people of color, per the
. “I’ve been traveling for...
Have Made Most
Jan 9, 2018 11:31 AM CST
These States Have Made Most Racial Progress
Wyoming, Texas, and Georgia are the top 3
- Black History Month is fast approaching, and while much progress has been made since Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech, discrimination, segregation, and systemic racism still remain. WalletHub wanted to acknowledge the US states that have made strides in both current integration and racial...
White Parents Fight Dress Code
They Say Targets Black Girls
Jul 19, 2017 4:19 PM CDT
White Parents Fight Dress Code They Say Targets Black Girls
'When our daughters walk with us, they have our white privilege'
- When twins Mya and Deanna Cook got permission to get braided hair extensions last spring, their white parents Aaron and Colleen Cook say it was in part to let their adopted daughters celebrate their black heritage. But it didn't take long for the 16-year-old students at Mystic Valley Regional...
Sep 5, 2016 10:35 AM CDT
Obama on Kaepernick: 'Tough Thing' for Service Members
But president says he supports NFL player's 'active citizenry'
- Everyone is weighing in on the Colin Kaepernick controversy , from the cops who say they may stop providing security at 49ers games to the female soccer player who took a knee in support of Kaepernick at her own game Sunday. Now a more high-profile defender is speaking up: President Obama,...
of 'Racial Terror':
700 Newly Found
Feb 10, 2015 8:58 AM CST
South's History of 'Racial Terror': 700 Newly Found Lynchings
Equal Justice Initiative documents 3,959 'racial terror lynchings' over 73 years
- Lest we forget: The Equal Justice Initiative today released a report that documents 3,959 "racial terror lynchings" throughout 12 Southern states over the 1877 to 1950 period. That's "at least 700 more lynchings of black people in these states than previously reported," reports the EJI...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.