Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Pacific Northwest Isn't
Ready for This Tsunami
Feb 13, 2022 3:00 PM CST
The Pacific Northwest Isn't Ready for This Tsunami
The evacuation options just aren't there for tens of thousands of people
- "It’s going to dwarf the scale of any disaster we have ever had. We know it’s coming." So Chris Goldfinger of Oregon State University tells the
New York Times
. He's talking about a massive—think magnitude 9.0—quake along the Cascadia fault off the...
10 Costliest Natural Disasters
in the World for 2021
Dec 27, 2021 12:01 PM CST
10 Costliest Natural Disasters in the World for 2021
Hurricane Ida in the US caused the most damage
- The cost of weather disasters keeps going up. The UK charity Christian Aid is out with its annual snapshot, one that ranks the 10 worst such disasters of the year worldwide and pegs their total cost at more than $170 billion, reports the
. The figure, up from $150 billion...
Another Body Found After
Nov 21, 2021 8:45 AM CST
Another Body Found After Devastating Landslide
Drivers swept to their deaths off Canada highway
- The British Columbia Coroners Service has confirmed the discovery of three more bodies near the village of Pemberton, bringing to four the number of people who died in a landslide caused by heavy rains that swept vehicles off the road. The search continues for a fifth body, chief coroner Lisa...
Mudslide Levels Japan Town
With Dozens Feared Dead
Jul 4, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Mudslide Levels Japan Town With Dozens Feared Dead
At least two were confirmed dead late Saturday
- A gush of mud that swept away homes and cars in a resort town southwest of Tokyo left at least two people dead and about 20 missing, officials said Sunday. Ten people were rescued and as many as 80 homes buried in Atami, where hundreds of firefighters, military troops and...
26 Missing After
Their Homes Slid Away
Dec 30, 2020 8:44 AM CST
26 Missing After Their Homes Slid Away
Homes toppled into a deep ravine in landslide in Ask, Norway, early Wednesday
- Twenty-six people are unaccounted for in a Norwegian town following a landslide early Wednesday. At least 10 people were injured when the landslide struck around 4am in the town of Ask in the Gjerdrum municipality, some 15 miles northeast of Oslo, per the Local . The landslide took out a road...
This State Is Knee-Deep
in Trouble ... Again
Oct 10, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
This State Is Knee-Deep in Trouble ... Again
Hurricane Delta adds insult to injury in Louisiana
- The day after Hurricane Delta blew through besieged southern Louisiana, residents started the routine again: dodging overturned cars, trudging through knee-deep water to flooded homes with ruined floors and no power, and pledging to rebuild after the storm, the AP reports. Delta made landfall Friday evening near the coastal Louisiana...
Bank Warns of
Worse Than Pandemic
in case you missed it
Jun 21, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Bank Warns of Potential Disasters Worse Than Pandemic
Deutsche Bank says there is a 1 in 3 chance of a worse catastrophe in the next decade
- Financial markets are starting to rebound from the coronavirus pandemic amid promising signs from world economies—but Deutsche Bank doesn't pay its analysts to be optimists. In a report issued Tuesday, those analysts warned that there is a one-in-three chance of an event even more devastating than the pandemic...
Soldiers, Firefighters Among
28 Dead in Avalanches
Feb 5, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Soldiers, Firefighters Among 28 Dead in Avalanches
Rescuers were searching for 2 people missing in earlier avalanche when another struck
- One disaster has followed another in eastern Turkey, where rescuers are among at least 28 people killed in two avalanches. The first struck late Tuesday in an alpine area of Van province, burying a snow plow and a minibus, reports the AP . The bus operator was reportedly trapped for 25...
You've Seen His Crosses After
Tragedies. It Has Taken Its Toll
Dec 27, 2019 9:54 AM CST
You've Seen His Crosses After Tragedies. It Has Taken Its Toll
Greg Zanis retires from 23-year-old project honoring victims of national tragedies, after 27K crosses
- An Illinois carpenter who's made tens of thousands of white crosses for victims of tragedies in the US—e.g., mass shootings , terror attacks, natural disasters—is finally turning in his hammer after more than two decades. Greg Zanis, who says he's built close to 27,000 crosses...
15 Years Later, Tsunami's
Toll Remains Mind-Boggling
Dec 26, 2019 10:10 AM CST
15 Years Later, Tsunami's Toll Remains Mind-Boggling
Survivors mark anniversary of disaster that claimed 230K lives in Indonesia, other nations
- "It still haunts me." The line from 28-year-old Thai resident Suwanne Maliwan to Reuters expresses a common sentiment Thursday, the 15th anniversary of the Indian Ocean tsunami that claimed 230,000 lives. Maliwan, for instance, lost both her parents and five other relatives. "Sometimes I dream that...
FEMA Struck by
a 'Major Privacy Incident'
Mar 23, 2019 9:10 AM CDT
FEMA Struck by a 'Major Privacy Incident'
Agency disclosed sensitive data of more than 2M disaster survivors, per DHS IG report
- Survivors may still be picking up the pieces after the natural disasters that have swept across the country over the past couple of years, and now they have a new issue to contend with: the possibility of identity theft thanks to what the Federal Emergency Management Agency is calling a...
22 Tornadoes Smash Illinois
Dec 2, 2018 3:39 PM CST
22 Tornadoes Smash Illinois
Twister 'nightmare' appears in sync with recent study
- Central Illinois is reeling after a Saturday rash of at least 22 tornadoes crushed houses, tore up trees, and took down power lines, CNN reports. It "feels like I woke up to a nightmare," says a man in Taylorville, the hardest-hit town. Officials say 21 people were hospitalized...
'This Was a Big One'
Dec 1, 2018 11:15 AM CST
Anchorage Quake: 'This Was a Big One'
Amazing that there were no fatalities
- Lost power, cracked buildings, crumbled chimneys, broken water pipes—the 7.0 earthquake that rocked Anchorage Friday morning was, by one standard at least, its worst in 54 years. "I think it's safe to say that, not measured in magnitude or location but in terms of how strong...
Searches Intensify After
Another Body Turns Up
Oct 13, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Searches Intensify After Another Body Turns Up
Rescuers continue to seek survivors in Mexico Beach, Fla.
- Rescuers intensified efforts Saturday to find survivors who might be trapped amid the ruins of a small Florida Panhandle community nearly obliterated by Hurricane Michael, where one body has already been recovered, tempers are flaring, and power could be out for weeks, the AP reports. Crews with dogs went door-to-door...
Florence: 7 Dead,
Nearly 1M in the Dark
Sep 15, 2018 3:05 PM CDT
Florence: 7 Dead, Nearly 1M in the Dark
By the numbers, it's pretty grim
- How do you measure a disaster like Florence? In sum, the storm is turning out to be every bit as devastating as forecasters expected, and it's far from done, with trillions of gallons of rain in the forecast, hundreds of people needing rescue, nearly a million power outages and...
In Case You Missed It
Apr 7, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
History's Deadliest Natural Disaster Killed Millions
LiveScience lists the worst ones on record
- "The single-most powerful explosive event ever witnessed" took place somewhere between 1645 BC and 1500 BC, when the volcano Thera erupted on what's now the island of Santorini. LiveScience reports its power has been likened to that of an 1883 eruption in Indonesia that could be heard 3,...
Extreme Weather Seen
as Major 2018 Risk
Jan 17, 2018 7:22 AM CST
Extreme Weather Seen as Major 2018 Risk
World Economic Forum ranks them ahead of global forum
- Humans are "pushing systems to the brink, from extinction-level rates of biodiversity loss to mounting concerns about the possibility of new wars," according to the World Economic Forum . On the upside, a stronger economic outlook means global leaders will have "a golden opportunity" to address some of...
We Spent More Money Than
Ever on Weather Disasters
Jan 8, 2018 12:43 PM CST
We Spent More Money Than Ever on Weather Disasters
Credit 3 hurricanes, wildfires, hail, flooding, tornadoes, and drought in 2017
- With three strong hurricanes, wildfires, hail, flooding, tornadoes, and drought, the United States tallied a record high bill last year for weather disasters: $306 billion. The US had 16 disasters last year with damage exceeding a billion dollars, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Monday. That ties 2011 for...
In Sierra Leone,
'Sounds of Wailing,
Aug 16, 2017 12:08 PM CDT
In Sierra Leone, 'Sounds of Wailing, Mourning Everywhere'
Nearly 400 bodies recovered after mudslide
- "We have been through 10 years of war, then Ebola, and now this. Have mercy on Sierra Leone, Father," a bishop prayed Wednesday during a vigil in the country's capital of Freetown, where reports suggest 400 people are dead and another 600 are missing as a result...
These 10 Cities
Better Hope They
Avoid a Hurricane
Jul 7, 2017 11:53 AM CDT
These 10 Cities Better Hope They Avoid a Hurricane
The damage would be brutal: 24/7 Wall St.
- Florida may be the place to go for sunshine, but it's the place to escape if a hurricane hits. The state is home to a number of the US cities that are "vulnerable to the greatest damage" at the hands of a hurricane, reports 24/7 Wall St , which...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.