Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We're Getting a Meteor
Shower Thursday Night
Nov 17, 2022 4:10 PM CST
We're Getting a Meteor Shower Thursday Night
It's time for the Leonids to return, and it may be stronger than usual
- It's time for the annual Leonid meteor shower. Skywatchers who venture out between midnight and dawn Thursday night into Friday morning should get a treat, reports
. For those who can't make it, Friday night into Saturday morning also should provide an opportunity. The Leonids typically offer...
Aug 12, 2022 9:57 AM CDT
This Year's Perseid Meteor Shower Is Peaking
Moon permitting, of course
- It's that time of year again, when the Perseid meteor shower puts on one of the most popular sky shows of the year. This year, the Perseids became active in mid-July and will continue to be so through August 24, reports Space.com . But the peak is happening right...
If You're Up Late
This Week, the
Sky Has a Treat
Aug 10, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
If You're Up Late This Week, the Sky Has a Treat
Perseid meteor shower peaks Tuesday-Wednesday
- A familiar traveler has returned, and it should make for some nice sky-watching this week. The Perseid meteor shower peaks Tuesday and Wednesday nights, reports CNET . For the best viewing, NASA recommends getting outside around 2am local time, and it says the pre-dawn hours of Wednesday in particular will be...
Get Ready for 2 New
Jul 27, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
Get Ready for 2 New Meteor Showers
Weather permitting, you could catch a glimpse of the Delta Aquariids, Alpha Capricornids this week
- When the door for one sky show closes, another one opens—and with the comet Neowise starting to fade, two sets of meteor showers are ready to fill that slot. If the weather holds up, space enthusiasts should be able to catch a glimpse this week of both the Delta...
Skies Will Light Up
for Cinco de Mayo
May 3, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Skies Will Light Up for Cinco de Mayo
We'll get a meteor shower courtesy of Halley's Comet
- This Cinco de Mayo brings the perfect excuse to take your margarita outside, lie down, and lift your eyes skyward: CBS News reports that there will be a meteor shower peaking in the early hours of Tuesday, May 5, courtesy of the Earth passing through the debris trail left by...
Earth Day Gets a
Apr 21, 2020 7:47 AM CDT
Earth Day Gets a Celestial Welcome
Annual Lyrid meteor shower, one of oldest known on Earth, will peak overnight
- One of Earth's oldest known meteor showers will usher in Earth Day 2020. The annual Lyrid meteor shower, first recorded some 2,700 years ago in China, will peak around 10pm local time Tuesday until about 5am Wednesday, which is Earth Day. Up to 20 meteors will be visible...
Geminids Are Here,
if the Moon Cooperates
Dec 13, 2019 8:55 AM CST
Geminids Are Here, if the Moon Cooperates
Lunar brightness doesn't have to totally foil your meteor gazing this weekend
- This year has been a major letdown for fans of shooting stars, Space.com notes—not because there haven't been any, but because the moon has been mucking things up, shining a little too brightly right around the time of some of 2019's major meteor events. Now, what...
Nov 17, 2019 8:43 AM CST
Coming to Tonight's Sky: The Leonids
Meteor shower will peak overnight, but look out for that moon
- If you've been over
Dancing With the Stars
for at least a dozen years, the home of the actual stars is offering you some alternative Sunday night entertainment. The Leonid meteor shower—so named because it appears to originate in the constellation Leo—will peak overnight, clocking in at...
in St. Louis
Nov 12, 2019 6:29 AM CST
Videos Capture Apparent Meteor in St. Louis
Fireball and boom startle residents
- Mercury wasn't the only treat for sky watchers Monday. A fireball streaked through the night sky in the St. Louis area, accompanied by a loud boom, reports the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
. The apparent meteor zipped by about 8:45pm, and videos immediately began flooding social media. It's likely...
Big Meteor Shower
Is About to Peak
Aug 12, 2019 8:58 AM CDT
Big Meteor Shower Is About to Peak
Look up late Monday into Tuesday for the Perseids
- One of the best meteor showers of the year peaks Monday night into Tuesday morning. The Perseids are back to put on their annual August show, though a nearly full moon might cut down on the number of shooting stars visible, reports Accuweather . Sky watchers will have the best luck...
Jul 29, 2019 4:48 PM CDT
Tonight Only: Double Meteor Shower Will Be Visible
Viewing conditions will be especially good in the eastern US
- Two concurrent but separate meteor showers should be visible late Monday night, for a total of 20 to 25 meteors per hour. Viewing conditions are good now because the Southern Delta Aquariids and the alpha Capricornids are both active, and the waning crescent moon will only be 6% full, Space....
Tonight's Meteor Shower
Could Be Worth a Peek
Jan 3, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Tonight's Meteor Shower Could Be Worth a Peek
With luck, North Americans could see 30 to 40 per hour
- The Quadrantid meteor shower occurring annually in the first week of January is one of the few to produce more than 100 meteors per hour. Excited? Curb your enthusiasm. The display, set to peak around 10pm EST or 7pm PST on Thursday, is also one of the shortest-lived displays—"...
We Won't Have
a Winter Solstice
Like This Till 2029
Dec 21, 2018 11:10 AM CST
We Won't Have a Winter Solstice Like This Till 2029
And the last time we did was 2010
- Today might feel like a long day, with America waiting to see if a shutdown comes to pass at midnight. But scientifically speaking, it's the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. That's because it's winter solstice, a day on which most of the US...
Get Ready, Night Owls:
Leonids Return This Weekend
Nov 16, 2018 8:48 AM CST
Get Ready, Night Owls: Leonids Return This Weekend
Peak viewing time is before dawn on Sunday
- It's time again for the Leonids, the meteor shower repeated annually in mid-November. It comes as Earth passes through a trail of debris left by the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle, which orbits the sun once every 33 years. Earth will pass through the thickest part of debris at 7pm EST Saturday,...
Show Headed Our Way
Oct 20, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
'Fireball-Like' Sky Show Headed Our Way
The Orionids are peaking Saturday night after midnight
- The Orionids are back, and MLive.com says this weekend's celestial display will be "beautiful" and "fireball-like." Per Vox , the meteor shower will peak overnight Saturday into Sunday, blasting about 15 to 20 meteors per hour through the night sky. It will be easiest to see...
The October Sky
Show You've Been
Waiting For Is Here
Oct 20, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
The October Sky Show You've Been Waiting For Is Here
Orionid meteor shower is Friday, Saturday night, visible from anywhere on Earth (except Antarctica)
wants you to "count your lucky stars" this weekend—literally. That's because what it's deeming "one of the year's best sky shows" is set to take place: the Orionid meteor shower, scheduled to peak on Friday and Saturday nights, with the best...
What to Expect From
Aug 10, 2017 6:10 PM CDT
What to Expect From This Weekend's Perseid Meteor Shower
NASA debunks a rumor
- Last year's Perseid meteor shower was an extravaganza . Don't expect the same this year. While astronomers are expecting a decent 150 meteors per hour during peak hours between midnight and dawn on Aug. 12 and 13—a little less than the 200 per hour visible in 2016—NASA'...
Expect a Deluge
Aug 11, 2016 8:34 AM CDT
Thursday Night's Meteor Shower: Expect a Deluge
160 to 200 meteors expected per hour
- Never watched the Perseid meteor shower? This is the year to do it. Though Earth spins through the same ancient comet debris each August, Jupiter's gravity has pulled debris closer to Earth this year, meaning Earthlings will witness twice as many shooting stars as normal, or about 160 to...
How to Watch the
May 3, 2016 2:03 PM CDT
How to Watch the Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower This Week
You're either going to want to go to bed very early or very, very late
- The Eta Aquarids meteor shower happens when Earth passes through the debris left behind by Halley's Comet, and it's peaking this week, the
New York Times
reports. The Weather Network reports that most everyone will have a good view of the shower Thursday and Friday. About 10 to...
Nov 17, 2015 8:52 AM CST
Leonid Meteor Shower Returns
Peak time for viewing is midnight across the US
- Get ready to tune your eyes on the sky: The annual Leonid meteor shower will hit its peak overnight on Tuesday, sending shooting stars above the eastern horizon around midnight local time on both coasts. Unfortunately, clouds will cover much of the skies across the US, but those in areas...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.