Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Museum to Review Its
of Human Bones
Oct 16, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Museum to Review Its Controversial Collection of Human Bones
New York natural history museum acknowledges remains may have been collected unethically
- A New York City museum with a controversial, and massive, collection of human bones says it will make big changes to the way it handles the remains. The American Museum of Natural History's collection of 12,000 human remains is notable because of how recent some of those remains...
Cops: He Had 'My Dead Friends'
as Apartment Decorations
Jul 14, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
Cops: He Had 'My Dead Friends' as Apartment Decorations
Kentucky's James Nott allegedly sold human remains on Facebook
- One man tied up in a nationwide network of traffickers in human remains was located Tuesday in a Kentucky apartment decorated with human spinal cords, femur and hip bones, and 40 skulls, one of which was found on the bed where he slept, according to court documents. "The skulls...
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast
Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Jan 17, 2023 11:39 AM CST
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Gold miner John Reeves says mammoth bones were dumped in East River in the 1940s
- Ask people what you might find buried in the muck at the bottom of New York City's East River and they'd likely say "mob boss" before thinking of mammoth bones. But several groups of treasure hunters have taken to the waterway in recent weeks after hearing a...
Oct 28, 2022 10:28 AM CDT
Russia Swipes Potemkin's Remains From Ukraine
Bones of Prince Grigory Potemkin stolen from Kherson church for their own 'protection': official
- Russia has held a grip on the southern Ukrainian region of Kherson and its capital of the same name since the earliest days of the war. Kherson is also one of the four regions that were illegally annexed by Russia earlier this month. But Ukrainian forces have been pushing hard...
Dog Uncovers Bones of
Man Killed in 2020
Jan 9, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Dog Uncovers Bones of Man Killed in 2020
Remains ID'd as those of Chanceler "CJ" James McCall
- The remains of a young man who was reportedly murdered a year ago were uncovered by chance last month after a dog did what dogs do best: sniffed out a bone. Per
, a Morgan County, Georgia man called police in December after his dog came home with what looked...
We Don't Use Our Thumbs
the Way Neanderthals Did
Nov 27, 2020 9:51 AM CST
We Don't Use Our Thumbs the Way Neanderthals Did
Fossils suggest they regularly gripped handled tools
- If you happen to travel back in time and encounter an angry Neanderthal, be sure to request a thumb war, rather than a full-blown one. According to new research, Neanderthals' hands were different than our own, with a thumb that stuck out at a wider angle than what you see...
Structure Made of Mammoth
Bones Baffles Scientists
in case you missed it
Mar 22, 2020 6:42 AM CDT
Structure Made of Mammoth Bones Baffles Scientists
It was built 25K years ago in what is now Russia, and 'it does boggle my mind,' says researcher
- Archaeologists have found plenty of structures made of mammoth bones across Eastern Europe over the years, but none quite like this one. Previously discovered ones were fairly small, suggesting they were used as dwellings. But this is not only older than the rest—figure about 25,000 years old—it'...
It Was Set to Be
a Dump. Then,
of Its Kind'
Nov 7, 2019 9:30 AM CST
It Was Set to Be a Dump. Then, 'Largest Find of Its Kind'
Human-built pits in Mexico believed to be first known woolly mammoth traps
- Humans were hunting woolly mammoths with traps some 15,000 years ago, according to a first-of-its-kind discovery. Archaeologists working the site of a planned garbage dump in Tultepec, Mexico, say they've found two pits used to capture the animals, as well as 824 bones from at least 14 mammoths—...
'Church of Bones' Has
Issue With Our Selfie Habits
Oct 16, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
'Church of Bones' Has Issue With Our Selfie Habits
And it has spurred a photo-policy change
- The Sedlec Ossuary chapel is adorned with signs asking guests to be respectful. But it's also adorned with bones from more than 40,000 skeletons, which have apparently proved to be too hard to resist in our Instagram age. CNN reports the chapel, located in the Czech Republic town...
Experts Have Different Take on
Epstein's Broken Neck Bones
Aug 16, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
Experts Have Different Take on Epstein's Broken Neck Bones
'Actually suggests much more strongly that it was hanging'
- Jeffrey Epstein's autopsy appears to have created more questions than answers , but one reporter says the conspiracy theories may be unnecessary. Writing for CNN Business , Oliver Darcy notes the
story that set the internet abuzz reported on Epstein's post-mortem, which found "multiple breaks in his...
Vatican Missing-Girl Mystery
Deepens as Bones Are Found
Jul 13, 2019 2:13 PM CDT
Vatican Missing-Girl Mystery Deepens as Bones Are Found
Emanuela Orlandi disappeared in 1983
- The mystery of the 1983 disappearance of the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee took yet another twist Saturday following excavations this week at a Vatican City cemetery, the AP reports. The Vatican said it had discovered two sets of bones under a stone slab that will be formally opened...
This 'Pointless' Bone Vanished
From Humans. Now It's Back
in case you missed it
Apr 27, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
This 'Pointless' Bone Vanished From Humans. Now It's Back
Scientists thought evolution had taken its toll on knee's fabella, but it's making a comeback
- One hundred years ago, just 11% of humans had a fabella, a tiny bone embedded in the tendon behind the knee. Last year, the percentage of people worldwide with that bone spiked to 39%, and scientists are trying to figure out why a bone that doctors generally think is "...
Collector Had 'Staggering'
Number of Human Bones
Feb 27, 2019 4:07 PM CST
Collector Had 'Staggering' Number of Human Bones
2K bones represent 500 humans, likely Native Americans
- It was a collection "unlike anything we'd ever seen." That's how the head of the FBI's art crime unit describes some 42,000 artifacts discovered in the rural Indiana home of Don Miller during a 2014 raid . Almost five years later, Tim Carpenter of the...
Dad Who Vanished in 1961
Might Never Have Left Home
Nov 2, 2018 6:48 AM CDT
Dad Who Vanished in 1961 Might Never Have Left Home
Family suspects bones buried in basement belong to George Carroll
- Throughout childhood, brothers Steven and Michael Carroll were told their father "went out and just never came back." It turns out he might never have left the family's Lake Grove, NY, home after all. Steven Carroll's adult sons were digging in the basement on the eve...
35-Year Mystery Stirs
as Vatican Finds Bones
Oct 31, 2018 8:27 AM CDT
35-Year Mystery Stirs as Vatican Finds Bones
Emanuela Orlandi's family hopes to 'bring her home'
- The discovery of human bones at a property next to the Vatican's embassy to Italy has renewed hope of solving a 35-year-old disappearance, which some claim involves the Vatican itself. Rome's chief prosecutor is working to identify the bones found during renovation work at the Vatican property in...
How a Student's Diligence
Helped Solve 1975 Mystery
Jul 19, 2018 10:43 AM CDT
How a Student's Diligence Helped Solve 1975 Mystery
A cemetery index entry of 'Unknown Female White Bones' bothered her too much to ignore
- For 40 years, the skeleton with a bullet hole in its left temple carried the title of "Unknown White Female Bones." No longer , thanks to an Ohio college student and the Californian forensic artist she inspired. The
has new details on the case: Christina Scates, 23,...
As WWII Ships
Were Cut Up,
Were Tossed in Sea
Feb 27, 2018 11:50 AM CST
As WWII Ships Were Cut Up, Human Remains Were Tossed in Sea
Bones found based on information from port workers
- Indonesian authorities have started to recover the bones of World War II sailors whose metal coffins were reportedly ripped apart by salvagers hoping to make a buck. Following reports that the bones of sailors were dumped in a shallow mass grave in Indonesia, officials have begun excavating three sites, including...
Rat-Chewed Skeleton in
Wall Suggests Fatal Misstep
Jan 24, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Rat-Chewed Skeleton in Wall Suggests Fatal Misstep
Remains identified as those of Houston homeowner Mary Cerruti
- A years-old mystery in Texas has been solved—at least in part. Three years after Houston resident Mary Cerruti seemingly disappeared, authorities have confirmed it was her skeleton discovered in the wall of her former home by new tenants last March, alongside a pair of glasses that resembled those Cerruti...
Prehistoric Women Had
Muscular Arms to Die For
Nov 30, 2017 10:49 AM CST
Prehistoric Women Had Muscular Arms to Die For
Stronger than those of today's elite female rowers
- Pummeling grains for up to five hours a day gave prehistoric women the kind of muscular arms a girl only dreams of today. That's according to researchers at Cambridge University, who used CT scans to compare the upper arm and shinbones of 83 modern women with those of 94...
They Ate Their Friend.
Then They Made Art
Aug 10, 2017 9:37 AM CDT
They Ate Their Friend. Then They Made Art
15K-year-old human radial bone shows signs of ritual cannibalism
- The radius and the ulna bones of the forearm were separated at the joint, cleaned, and chewed. But that was only the start of a cannibalistic ritual taking place in England some 15,000 years ago, scientists say after analyzing a bone with unusual markings found in a cave in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.