Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pollution Has Unexpected
Effect on Green Sea Turtles
Nov 27, 2023 11:48 AM CST
Pollution Has Unexpected Effect on Green Sea Turtles
Researchers say it's helping create too many females
- For male green sea turtles, it's the second part of a double whammy they could ill afford. A new study suggests that ocean pollution is contributing to a serious gender imbalance—way too many females are being born and way too few males, reports Science Alert . As the
Trans Teen, Family
'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
Oct 22, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Trans Teen, Family 'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
'New Yorker' piece dives into how laws in Tennessee, and in South in general, have affected LGBTQ youth
- Tennessee has passed nearly 20 anti-LGBTQ+ laws since 2015, among the highest in the nation, per the Human Rights Campaign. For Kristen Chapman, that number is more than just a statistic—it proved to be the death knell for her family's future in the Volunteer State, as her 17-year-daughter,...
Man Accuses 9-Year-Old Girl
of Being Boy at Track Meet
Jun 14, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Man Accuses 9-Year-Old Girl of Being Boy at Track Meet
'Let's keep calling out transphobia,' says BC premier after grandparents banned from future events
- A Canadian school's track-and-field meet turned distressing for one young athlete after an attendee accused her of being a boy. The incident, first reported in Castanet , took place Thursday at Kelowna's Apple Bowl Stadium, where Heidi Starr's 9-year-daughter was preparing to compete in the meet's fourth...
Dads Like Me' on
May 22, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Pol Predicts 'Violence From Dads Like Me' on All-Gender Bathrooms
Illinois state Sen. Neil Anderson: I'd 'beat the living piss' out of men in unisex bathrooms with my child
- An Illinois lawmaker is making headlines for his reaction to a bill that would greenlight mixed-gender bathrooms in his state. On Thursday, Illinois senators debated HB 1286 , which would allow for the creation of public multi-occupancy restrooms that individuals of any gender can use. Per the
, these bathrooms...
Florida Extends 'Don't Say Gay'
to All Grades in Public Schools
Apr 19, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Florida Extends 'Don't Say Gay' to All Grades in Public Schools
Educators in grades 4 to 12 banned from teaching about sexual orientation or gender identity
- Florida's Board of Education has extended the rule critics call "Don't Say Gay" to cover all grades in public schools. The amended rule says teachers in grades 4 to 12 "shall not intentionally provide classroom instruction" on sexual orientation or gender identity, the
God May Not Be Called 'He'
Forever in Church of England
Feb 9, 2023 8:57 AM CST
God May Not Be Called 'He' Forever in Church of England
Church says it's mulling using gender-neutral pronouns, though such a change isn't imminent
- There may be a big change coming on how the Church of England refers to God, though worshippers shouldn't necessarily expect that change anytime soon. The centuries-old religious institution is considering using gender-neutral language, including pronouns, when referring to God in prayers—what Reuters calls "the latest attempt...
Virgin Atlantic's Uniform Update
Lets Crew Show 'True Identity'
Sep 28, 2022 11:24 AM CDT
Virgin Atlantic's Uniform Update Lets Crew Show 'True Identity'
Virgin Atlantic introduces gender-neutral skirts/trousers
- Airlines are known for their often-rigid rules around the uniforms their crew members wear, often leading to complaints that the garb is impractical, uncomfortable, and outdated. Virgin Atlantic is now attempting to remedy the "outdated" part by releasing a new policy that gets rid of "gendered uniform" requirements...
Man Pleads Guilty to
Sep 18, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Man Pleads Guilty to Threatening Merriam-Webster
Jeremy Hanson was reportedly upset by changes involving gender identity
A California man has pleaded guilty to sending repeated death threats to Merriam-Webster in October of last year because he was upset with its definitions on gender identity. His actions caused the company to shut down its offices for five days. The US Attorney’s Office for the District...
28 Arrested in Viral
Video of Men Beating
Women in Restaurant
Aug 30, 2022 1:57 AM CDT
28 Arrested in Viral Video of Men Beating Women in Restaurant
Footage of women brutally attacked put gender-based violence back in spotlight
Twenty-eight people have been charged in the June assault on multiple women at a restaurant in China that sparked outrage regarding violence against women in the country. Authorities say the incident and charges are connected to gang activity in the area, the
reports. Authorities had previously said...
New Data Sheds
Light on Adults
Who Say They're
Jun 9, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
New Data Sheds Light on Adults Who Say They're Transgender
More than 5% of those surveyed between ages of 18 and 29 identify as trans or nonbinary, per Pew
- According to new data from the Pew Research Center , more people than ever before say they identify as or know someone who's transgender (meaning their gender doesn't match the sex they were assigned at birth) or nonbinary, meaning someone who doesn't identify within the confines of just...
in a Big First
Oct 27, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
'X' Marks US Passport in a Big First
United States has issued one with 'X' gender designation instead of 'male' or 'female'
- The US has issued its first passport with an "X" gender designation—a milestone in the recognition of the rights of people who don't identify as male or female—and expects to be able to offer the option more broadly next year, the State Department said Wednesday. The...
League Said She Was Too
Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
in case you missed it
May 29, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
League Said She Was Too Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
National Women's Soccer League can now sign Olivia Moultrie, 15
- A federal judge has overruled the National Women's Soccer League, at least temporarily, finding its rule barring players under 18 is a form of gender discrimination. Olivia Moultrie—a 15-year-old who debuted with the Portland Thorns' under-19 team at age 14 and signed a nine-year endorsement deal with Nike...
May 19, 2021 6:24 AM CDT
Demi Lovato Changes Their Pronouns
Singer reveals they are non-binary
- Singer Demi Lovato made a big announcement Wednesday, revealing they are non-binary and are changing their pronouns to they/them. In a tweet , they said they'd been "living for those on the other side of the cameras." But "over the past year and a half, I've...
Bill Would Bar Stores From
Having 'Boys' and 'Girls' Toys
Mar 9, 2021 4:32 PM CST
Bill Would Bar Stores From Having 'Boys' and 'Girls' Toys
California lawmakers say the practice is outdated
- A California lawmaker said that when she was a child, she sometimes was steered away from playing with Lincoln Logs because they were thought by adults to be for boys. The issue is more than fun; such activities can develop spatial ability, notes the
Los Angeles Times
. That can help...
Greene Mocks Colleague's
Trans Flag With 'Gender' Sign
Feb 25, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Greene Mocks Colleague's Trans Flag With 'Gender' Sign
Congresswoman goes after House neighbor Marie Newman, whose daughter is transgender
- Rep. Marie Newman, a freshman Democratic congresswoman from Illinois, has been going to bat to get an LGBTQ rights bill known as the Equality Act passed. Newman has shared that her daughter, "the strongest, bravest person I know," identifies as transgender. So Newman wasn't pleased when Georgia...
Till Age 18
Oct 27, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Emily Ratajkowski Won't 'Know' Baby's Gender Till Age 18
Supermodel announces pregnancy, says she won't impose an identity on her soon-to-arrive child
- Emily Ratajkowski's "pumpkin spice" hair is making headlines , but that isn't the biggest news of the week for her. In an essay for
, the 29-year-old supermodel reveals she's pregnant, but if you're tempted to ask if she's having a boy or a girl,...
Trump on Language Change
In SEALs Ethos: 'Ridiculous'
Oct 2, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Trump on Language Change In SEALs Ethos: 'Ridiculous'
President claims he's going to overturn alterations that get rid of words like 'brotherhood'
- Although no women have yet qualified to become Navy SEALs, the elite US combat unit recently changed the language in its official guiding beliefs in anticipation that female service members may one day join its ranks. As reported earlier this week by American Military News , the ethos and creeds of...
Seen Across Species,
the Ladies Have It
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
In Phenomenon Seen Across Species, the Ladies Have It
Female mammals typically live longer, likely owing to genetics
- It's not just in human populations that females tend to live longer than males. The same trend has been seen in mammals such as elephants, lions, and orcas, according to a new study. Indeed, demographic data for 134 populations of 101 mammalian species shows females outlive males in 60%...
Only Girl on School
She Scored Twice
Mar 5, 2020 12:48 PM CST
Fans Mocked Only Girl on School Hockey Team. She Scored Twice
Fans yelled insults about Alyssa Wruble, put up a 'gender reveal' sign
- With two older brothers, a longtime love of ice hockey, and a competitive streak that enables her to brush off low-key trash-talking during games, Pennsylvania teen Alyssa Wruble knows what it is to be tough. As the only girl on Northampton Area High School's varsity team, the 17-year-old tells...
Felon to Be Released
Due to Gender Change
Feb 1, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Felon to Be Released Due to Gender Change
Josie Smith will be released due to lack of male hormones
- It's all in the hormones, apparently. A convicted sex criminal won't be serving a full prison sentence in Iowa after changing gender identity from male to female, KYouTV reports. Joseph Matthew Smith—now Josie Smith—was sent to prison in December 2015 after molesting up to 15 children,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.