Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Result in Death Threats
Apr 24, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Merriam-Webster Definitions Result in Death Threats
Authorities charge California man who they say was angry over references to gender identity
- A California man is accused of sending repeated death threats to Merriam-Webster because he was upset with their definitions on gender identity. Authorities say 34-year-old Jeremy Hanson of Rossmoor made the threats anonymously through the company's "contact us" page online and in its comments section, reports CNN . An...
in a Big First
Oct 27, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
'X' Marks US Passport in a Big First
United States has issued one with 'X' gender designation instead of 'male' or 'female'
- The US has issued its first passport with an "X" gender designation—a milestone in the recognition of the rights of people who don't identify as male or female—and expects to be able to offer the option more broadly next year, the State Department said Wednesday. The...
League Said She Was Too
Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
in case you missed it
May 29, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
League Said She Was Too Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
National Women's Soccer League can now sign Olivia Moultrie, 15
- A federal judge has overruled the National Women's Soccer League, at least temporarily, finding its rule barring players under 18 is a form of gender discrimination. Olivia Moultrie—a 15-year-old who debuted with the Portland Thorns' under-19 team at age 14 and signed a nine-year endorsement deal with Nike...
May 19, 2021 6:24 AM CDT
Demi Lovato Changes Their Pronouns
Singer reveals they are non-binary
- Singer Demi Lovato made a big announcement Wednesday, revealing they are non-binary and are changing their pronouns to they/them. In a tweet , they said they'd been "living for those on the other side of the cameras." But "over the past year and a half, I've...
Bill Would Bar Stores From
Having 'Boys' and 'Girls' Toys
Mar 9, 2021 4:32 PM CST
Bill Would Bar Stores From Having 'Boys' and 'Girls' Toys
California lawmakers say the practice is outdated
- A California lawmaker said that when she was a child, she sometimes was steered away from playing with Lincoln Logs because they were thought by adults to be for boys. The issue is more than fun; such activities can develop spatial ability, notes the
Los Angeles Times
. That can help...
Greene Mocks Colleague's
Trans Flag With 'Gender' Sign
Feb 25, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Greene Mocks Colleague's Trans Flag With 'Gender' Sign
Congresswoman goes after House neighbor Marie Newman, whose daughter is transgender
- Rep. Marie Newman, a freshman Democratic congresswoman from Illinois, has been going to bat to get an LGBTQ rights bill known as the Equality Act passed. Newman has shared that her daughter, "the strongest, bravest person I know," identifies as transgender. So Newman wasn't pleased when Georgia...
Till Age 18
Oct 27, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Emily Ratajkowski Won't 'Know' Baby's Gender Till Age 18
Supermodel announces pregnancy, says she won't impose an identity on her soon-to-arrive child
- Emily Ratajkowski's "pumpkin spice" hair is making headlines , but that isn't the biggest news of the week for her. In an essay for
, the 29-year-old supermodel reveals she's pregnant, but if you're tempted to ask if she's having a boy or a girl,...
Trump on Language Change
In SEALs Ethos: 'Ridiculous'
Oct 2, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Trump on Language Change In SEALs Ethos: 'Ridiculous'
President claims he's going to overturn alterations that get rid of words like 'brotherhood'
- Although no women have yet qualified to become Navy SEALs, the elite US combat unit recently changed the language in its official guiding beliefs in anticipation that female service members may one day join its ranks. As reported earlier this week by American Military News , the ethos and creeds of...
Seen Across Species,
the Ladies Have It
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
In Phenomenon Seen Across Species, the Ladies Have It
Female mammals typically live longer, likely owing to genetics
- It's not just in human populations that females tend to live longer than males. The same trend has been seen in mammals such as elephants, lions, and orcas, according to a new study. Indeed, demographic data for 134 populations of 101 mammalian species shows females outlive males in 60%...
Only Girl on School
She Scored Twice
Mar 5, 2020 12:48 PM CST
Fans Mocked Only Girl on School Hockey Team. She Scored Twice
Fans yelled insults about Alyssa Wruble, put up a 'gender reveal' sign
- With two older brothers, a longtime love of ice hockey, and a competitive streak that enables her to brush off low-key trash-talking during games, Pennsylvania teen Alyssa Wruble knows what it is to be tough. As the only girl on Northampton Area High School's varsity team, the 17-year-old tells...
Felon to Be Released
Due to Gender Change
Feb 1, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Felon to Be Released Due to Gender Change
Josie Smith will be released due to lack of male hormones
- It's all in the hormones, apparently. A convicted sex criminal won't be serving a full prison sentence in Iowa after changing gender identity from male to female, KYouTV reports. Joseph Matthew Smith—now Josie Smith—was sent to prison in December 2015 after molesting up to 15 children,...
Dec 28, 2019 12:30 PM CST
Paul Haggis Must Face 'Hate Crime' Accusation
Haleigh Breest's accusation against him can stand, court rules
- A movie director's alleged rape of a colleague is now an alleged hate crime. On Thursday, a New York appeals court ruled that accuser Haleigh Breest can proceed with her claim that Paul Haggis perpetrated a gender-motivated hate crime when he allegedly raped her in 2013, per the
How 'Social Norms' Are
Stressing Out Husbands
Nov 20, 2019 5:51 PM CST
How 'Social Norms' Are Stressing Out Husbands
In America, women's pay is affecting men's mental health: study
- American husbands don't mind their wives making money—but over 40% of their combined income? Then it's time for the man cave. So says a new study that measured male stress in roughly 6,000 US couples over a 15-year stretch, CBS News reports. Husbands in the study...
M-W in Fighting Mode
on One of Its New Words
Sep 18, 2019 7:25 AM CDT
M-W in Fighting Mode on One of Its New Words
'They' can now be used as a singular, gender nonbinary pronoun, per Merriam-Webster
- "Deep state," "dad joke," and "escape room" may seem ubiquitous in our modern vernacular, but now they're officially part of it. Merriam-Webster has announced the addition of more than 500 words, terms, and new meanings, an etymological evolution it calls "a happy fact...
A New Role Awaits
Men in Coal Country
Sep 15, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
A New Role Awaits Men in Coal Country
In one Kentucky county, it's women who bring home the bacon
- Welcome to Letcher County in Kentucky, where coal's decline is changing time-honored gender roles. As men struggle to find work, women are entering a field in need of people—health care—and bringing home relatively small but still invaluable paychecks, the
New York Times
reports. "The mines have...
Colorado School Shooter
Reveals His Motive
Jun 22, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Colorado School Shooter Reveals His Motive
Alec McKinney says he targeted kids over gender taunts
- A high school student charged in a classmate's death during a Colorado school shooting told police that he planned the attack for weeks and intended to target classmates who repeatedly mocked his gender identity, the AP reports. Written summaries of police interviews with the two suspected shooters portray 16-year-old...
Mar 18, 2019 4:11 PM CDT
Sam Smith: I'm Non-Binary
Singer reveals he is 'not male or female'
- Sam Smith is "not male or female," the English singer revealed in a recent Instagram interview with Jameela Jamil . "I think I flow somewhere in between. It's all on the spectrum," he says, per the BBC and
. "I've always had a...
New 'Challenge' for Dems?
Jan 19, 2019 5:00 PM CST
Female Candidates: New 'Challenge' for Dems?
Gender-equality groups are thrilled, but it's not clear who to support
- Advocates for gender equality are reckoning with what one called a "wonderful challenge"—four or more women running for president in 2020, the AP reports. To many activists, that means a field more reflective of a party that counts women as a crucial voting bloc. But the prospect...
Parents Complain About
Survey Sent to Fifth Graders
Oct 13, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Parents Complain About Survey Sent to Fifth Graders
It asked about their sexual history and gender identity
- A survey that asked fifth-grade students in Vermont about their sexual history, preference, and gender identity has drawn complaints from parents, the AP reports. The survey sent to Windsor Elementary School students was conducted by WISE, a nonprofit domestic violence prevention and advocacy group, WPTZ-TV reported. A notice was sent...
In Women's Heart Attacks,
a Doctor's Gender Matters
Aug 7, 2018 5:06 PM CDT
In Women's Heart Attacks, a Doctor's Gender Matters
Chance of death is greater with male doctor: study
- Women suffering from a heart attack seem to have a better chance of survival if they're treated by a female doctor, according to a new study in
. Using data on 582,000 heart attack patients admitted to Florida emergency rooms from 1991 to 2010, researchers found that women...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
Gunmaker Is a No-Show at NRA Convention
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.