Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Another Train Flies Off the
Tracks in Fiery Accident
Mar 30, 2023 8:07 AM CDT
Another Train Flies Off the Tracks in Fiery Accident
BNSF train carrying ethanol, corn syrup derails in Raymond, Minnesota; local homes evacuated
- A train hauling ethanol and corn syrup derailed and caught fire in Minnesota early Thursday, and nearby residents were ordered to evacuate their homes, authorities said. The AP reports that a BNSF train derailed in the town of Raymond, roughly 100 miles west of Minneapolis, at about 1am, according to...
Biden to End Summer
Ban on 15% Ethanol Gas
Apr 12, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Biden to End Summer Ban on 15% Ethanol Gas
New strategy to lower gas prices to be announced Tuesday
- President Biden on Tuesday will announce plans to allow the sale of gasoline containing 15% ethanol this summer in a bid to further lower prices at the pump , according to reports. Most gasoline sold contains up to 10% ethanol. The 15% ethanol blend, E15, costs 10 cents less per gallon...
'Years of Hard Drinking'
Feb 9, 2022 9:02 AM CST
'Years of Hard Drinking' Led to
'Chronic ethanol use' is official wording used by coroner's office regarding Anthony Johnson
The autopsy report is in on
star Anthony "AJ" Johnson, who was found lifeless in a Los Angeles store in September. Although the coroner's office deemed the manner of death natural, the cause was attributed to "chronic ethanol use"—meaning Johnson died "from...
What Critics Say About
Aug 21, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
What Critics Say About Ethan Hawke's
It's a 'brilliantly internalized performance,' says one
- Before there was Tesla the company, there was Tesla the man. Nikola Tesla, to be precise, and a new film—called
—about the pioneering scientist is generally drawing praise for Ethan Hawke's portrayal. See the trailer . The overall score on Rotten Tomatoes is 59%. Examples of what critics...
FDA: These Hand Sanitizers
Have Possibly Fatal Ingredient
Jul 11, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
FDA: These Hand Sanitizers Have Possibly Fatal Ingredient
These products apparently contain methanol, which you don't want to absorb or ingest
- Using hand sanitizer? Might be good to check that label. The Food and Drug Administration is adding more hand sanitizers to its list of products to avoid because they contain methanol—which is toxic when ingested or absorbed by the skin,
reports. The FDA is telling Americans to...
FDA 'Roadblock' Slows
Hand Sanitizer Production
Mar 27, 2020 3:07 AM CDT
FDA 'Roadblock' Slows Hand Sanitizer Production
Ethanol industry want rules to be relaxed
- As hospitals and nursing homes desperately search for hand sanitizer amid the coronavirus outbreak, federal regulators are preventing ethanol producers from providing millions of gallons of alcohol that could be transformed into the germ-killing mixture. The US Food and Drug Administration's roadblock has been frustrating the health care and...
Mar 10, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
Misguided Virus Remedy Proves Fatal
At least 27 die in Iran after drinking industrial alcohol to keep themselves 'safe' from disease
- They feared contracting the novel coronavirus; they died from a supposed remedy instead. Local news agencies in Iran say at least 27 people died of alcohol poisoning in the Khuzestan and Alborz provinces after swallowing booze they thought would fend off COVID-19, reports ABC News . Bloomberg notes that similar deaths...
He Got Drunk
He Drank, but
Because He Ate
Oct 24, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
He Got Drunk Not Because He Drank, but Because He Ate
Man suffered from auto-brewery syndrome, which converted carbs to ethanol
- For years after taking antibiotics in 2011 for a thumb injury, a previously active and healthy man says he suffered from depression, "brain fog," memory loss, and aggressiveness. Then, after a DWI arrest, those around him, including medical staff and cops, became convinced he was a secret drinker—...
Aug 20, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
Chemists Discover Why Water Improves Whisky
How much is largely a matter of personal taste
- Whisky connoisseurs have long claimed that whisky tastes better with a splash of water, or on the rocks with ice cubes. And while that will always, ultimately, be a matter of taste, scientists in Sweden have decided to study how the addition of water chemically alters the drink. They report...
Scientists: We Can
in case you missed it
Apr 13, 2014 7:00 PM CDT
Scientists: We Can Make Ethanol Without Corn
New process should be significantly more efficient, too
- Could ethanol someday essentially be produced out of thin air? A group of scientists has published research in
detailing a new method of making ethanol out of carbon monoxide gas, instead of corn or sugarcane, Reuters reports. Researchers saturated water with the gas, then zapped it with a novel...
Quiet, Dirty Toll
Nov 12, 2013 7:32 AM CST
Inside Ethanol's Quiet, Dirty Toll on Environment
Industry fumes over AP report
- President Obama, and President Bush before him, fought hard to make ethanol a central part of American energy. But an AP investigation finds that the program as it stands may be doing far more environmental harm than good. The effort to grow corn for fuel has meant the destruction of...
Biofuel Demand Takes
Big Toll on US Prairies
Feb 20, 2013 2:10 PM CST
Biofuel Demand Takes Big Toll on US Prairies
Grasslands destroyed at fastest rate since 1930s, says study
- The push for biofuels—spurred by ethanol mandates and government subsidies—is taking a serious toll on the American landscape, a study finds. Grasslands are being plowed up faster than at any time since the 1930s, say researchers from South Dakota State University, with 1.3 million acres turned into...
The Ticket to
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 29, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
The Ticket to Healthy Snacks: Animal Feed?
The ingredient smells bad, but packs a nutritious punch
- Milk, sugar, flour, eggs ... and pulverized corn kernels typically fed to farm animals. If that doesn't whet your appetite, then consider the health benefits of that final ingredient, known as "dried distillers' grain," or DDG. The substance is left over in the process of turning corn into...
Ethanol's Long Joyride
Runs Out of Gas
Jun 12, 2012 8:23 AM CDT
Ethanol's Long Joyride Runs Out of Gas
Fuel additive faces first decline in 15 years
- After 15 years of growth, ethanol production will fall this year and be flat next year, shocking an industry that has only known boom times for many years, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Driven by government mandates, production of the corn-based fuel additive tripled from 2005 to 2011, reaching nearly...
Senate Reverses, Votes
to Cut Ethanol Subsidies
Jun 16, 2011 5:31 PM CDT
Senate Reverses, Votes to Cut Ethanol Subsidies
Shift could endanger $5 billion annually for farm states
- The Senate voted today to repeal tax credits for producing ethanol, a vote that budget cutters hope will demonstrate a growing appetite in Congress to end special interest tax breaks to help reduce government borrowing. The Senate voted 73-27 to repeal the $5 billion annual subsidy, just two days after...
I'm Skipping Iowa
Jun 5, 2011 3:40 PM CDT
Jon Huntsman: I'm Skipping Iowa
He's not a big fan of ethanol, writing of Buckeye State
- Jon Huntsman won't be taking his toys to the sandbox in Iowa: The possible presidential candidate says that he's definitely not going to compete in the Hawkeye State, reports ABC News. “I'm not competing in Iowa for a reason. I don't believe in subsidies that...
Apr 26, 2011 1:19 AM CDT
Ethanol Group Paid Gingrich $300K
Former House speaker was lobbying coalition's highest-paid consultant
- Newt Gingrich earned more than $300,000 acting as a consultant to a coalition of ethanol lobbying groups in 2009, according to IRS records. The possible GOP 2012 candidate—who declared "I am not a lobbyist for ethanol" during a spat with
Wall Street Journal
editors over his support...
Four Loko Recycled
Into Fuel Ethanol
Jan 7, 2011 3:08 PM CST
Four Loko Recycled Into Fuel Ethanol
Widely banned drink proves useful after all
- With Four Loko banned in many states and being voluntarily pulled from shelves in others, there's quite a few cans of the stuff lying around in warehouses around the US. What to do with it all? Wholesalers from a number of southern states have been converting their excess stock into...
Al Gore: I Was
Nov 23, 2010 8:50 AM CST
Al Gore: I Was Wrong About Corn-Based Ethanol
Corn-based fuel does little to help environment, he admits
- Al Gore regrets supporting subsidies for corn-based ethanol when he was in office, he revealed during a speech in Athens yesterday, confessing that he’d done it more to bolster his presidential ambitions than to help the planet. “First generation ethanol I think was a mistake,” Gore said,...
Meet the First Car
Made by a 3-D Printer
Nov 1, 2010 1:14 PM CDT
Meet the First Car Made by a 3-D Printer
Urbee combines eco-friendliness with innovative look
- Saving the planet just got a lot better-looking: The hybrid Urbee is the first-ever car made using 3-D printers. The firms Stratasys and Kor Ecologic created the vehicle, whose whole exterior is printed by additive manufacturing—printing layer on top of layer until, essentially, a car appears—a method that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
Fate of Thousands of Convicts May Lie in This One Word
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.