Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Humpback Whale Leaps,
Comes Down on Boat
May 19, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Humpback Whale Leaps, Comes Down on Boat
It happened in Mexico on Saturday
- Getting up close and personal with nature proved dangerous in Mexico's Sea of Cortez on Saturday, when a boat that apparently got too close to a humpback whale ended up nearly being taken down by the creature. 9News reports that tourists on nearby boats in Topolobampo Bay off Sinaloa,...
May 7, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Report: DOD 'Vehemently' Objected to Passage in Esper Book
Pentagon didn't want ex-defense secretary to write about Trump wanting to fire missiles into Mexico
The Defense Department vetted all relevant claims Mark Esper made in his upcoming memoir, but it apparently wasn't thrilled with some of them. In fact, sources tell CNN Business that Pentagon officials were "vehemently" against the former defense secretary writing about then-President Trump suggesting in 2020 that...
'Crime Scene' of 150 Skulls
Was Actually Coldest of Cases
Apr 28, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
'Crime Scene' of 150 Skulls Was Actually Coldest of Cases
Remains found in Mexican cave in 2012 date from AD 900
- When Mexican police found a pile of about 150 skulls in a cave near the Guatemalan border, they thought they were looking at a crime scene, and took the bones to the state capital. It turns out it was a very cold case. It took a decade of tests and...
Woman Gets Stuck
Climbing Border Wall, Dies
Apr 15, 2022 1:40 AM CDT
Woman Gets Stuck Climbing Border Wall, Dies
She was upside down for a significant amount of time, authorities say
- A 32-year-old woman attempting to climb over a border wall from Mexico into Douglas, Arizona, was killed Monday when she got stuck upside down. The unidentified woman got over the wall and was using a harness to go down the other side, but her foot and leg got tangled and...
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers
Block Bridges in Protest
Apr 13, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers Block Bridges in Protest
This time it's Mexican truckers, upset over Texas governor's inspections order that's slowing traffic
- There's a new trucker protest underway, this time along the US southern border. Reuters reports that big-rig drivers from Mexico have been blocking bridges leading in and out of Texas for days, a protest against Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's recent mandate that officials carry out vehicle safety inspections...
QAnon Believer Texted Wife
Day He Allegedly Killed Kids
Apr 8, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
QAnon Believer Texted Wife Day He Allegedly Killed Kids
Wife said Matthew Coleman grew 'significantly more paranoid' before murders: affidavit
- California surfing instructor Matthew Coleman, accused of stabbing his two young children to death with a spearfishing gun on the belief that they had "serpent DNA," grew more and more paranoid as he went down the QAnon rabbit hole, court documents allege. Wife Abby Coleman told investigators that...
Gunmen Kill 20 at Cockfight
Mar 29, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Gunmen Kill 20 at Cockfight
Police say Mexico City assailants used a fish-and-chips van for camouflage
Police investigating a mass shooting in Mexico's Michoacan state that left 20 people dead say the gunmen staged their ambush by hiding in a fish-and-chips van, reports the BBC . The assailants drove to a ranch that was home to an illegal cockfighting ring in a food van that...
Mar 21, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
Gunman Kills Indigenous Rights Activist
Nearly 100 rights leaders have been killed in Mexico in less than 4 years
- Armed assailants killed lawyer and Indigenous rights activist Patricia Rivera Reyes, Mexican authorities announced Monday. The prosecutors' office in the northern border state of Baja California said three masked intruders burst into a home in the border city of Tijuana where a festivity was being held Saturday night. The intruders...
He Arrived in Cabo
for Spring Break.
Hours Later, He
Mar 11, 2022 2:47 PM CST
He Arrived in Cabo for Spring Break. Hours Later, He Was Dead
Arizona State University's Aiden Nevarez, 18, fell 20 feet over a hotel short wall
- The Arizona State University community is mourning one of its own, a college freshman who died while celebrating spring break in Mexico, just hours after arriving at his hotel. Two friends of 18-year-old Aiden Nevarez who were with him on the trip told 12 News that they and Nevarez had...
Attack on Chair
Gets Him Booted
Feb 23, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Tennis Star's Attack on Chair Gets Him Booted From Tourney
No. 3 Alexander Zverev smashed the umpire's seat with his racket at Mexican Open
- German tennis star Alexander Zverev is out of the Mexican Open—and not because of a loss. Zverev, ranked third in the world in men's singles, defeated Jenson Brooksby of the US 3-6 7-6 (10) 6-2 in a singles match early Tuesday, before heading into a men's doubles...
US Relents on Avocados
Feb 18, 2022 1:02 PM CST
US Relents on Avocados From Mexico
Temporary ban threatened to result in higher prices
- The US is lifting a ban on inspections of Mexican avocados, freeing the way for exports to resume. Ambassador Ken Salazar said in a statement the decision came after Mexico and the United States agreed “to enact the measures that ensure the safety" of agricultural inspectors who are in...
'Startled' Flock of Birds
Slams Into the Ground
Feb 16, 2022 12:16 PM CST
'Startled' Flock of Birds Slams Into the Ground
Mexico incident left dozens of dead birds in street
- Hundreds of blackbirds suddenly plunge from the sky and slam into buildings or the ground in a grim video captured by a security camera in Mexico. Most of the flock of yellow-headed blackbirds flew off afterwards, but dozens remained on the ground, dead or injured, CBS reports. Experts believe the...
In Surprise Move,
Feb 14, 2022 12:36 AM CST
In Surprise Move, US Suspends Avocado Imports
After inspector in Mexico receives a threat
- Mexico has acknowledged that the US government has suspended all imports of Mexican avocados after a US plant safety inspector in Mexico received a threat, the AP reports. The surprise, temporary suspension was confirmed late Saturday on the eve of the Super Bowl, the biggest sales opportunity of the year...
He Spent 4 Years on Run,
Will Spend Far More in Prison
Feb 11, 2022 7:40 AM CST
He Spent 4 Years on Run, Will Spend Far More in Prison
California multimillionaire Peter Chadwick pleaded guilty to second-degree murder
: A wealthy California man who spent years on the run after killing his wife has been sentenced to 15 years to life—and he won't be getting credit for the more than two years he spent in county jail awaiting trial after Mexico sent him back to the...
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Jan 18, 2022 9:05 AM CST
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
AP confirms what was an open secret among family
- For decades renowned Colombian author Gabriel García Márquez kept the public from knowing about an intimate aspect of his life: He had a daughter with a Mexican writer, with whom he had an extramarital affair in the early 1990s. The closely guarded secret was published by Colombian newspaper...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
Outside Mexico Governor's
Office, a Horrifying Discovery
Jan 7, 2022 6:55 AM CST
Outside Mexico Governor's Office, a Horrifying Discovery
10 bodies found packed in SUV
- A report of a suspicious vehicle outside the office of a Mexican state governor before dawn on Thursday was the first sign of a trouble. It was not the last. Inside the vehicle, left in a public square still decorated with a Christmas tree, were the bodies of 10 murder...
May Be Latest
Victim of Femicide
Dec 17, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Mexican Singer May Be Latest Victim of Femicide
Tania Mendoza shot dead Tuesday at son's soccer practice
- A Mexican singer and actress was fatally shot Tuesday evening while waiting to pick up her 11-year-old son from soccer practice. Tania Mendoza was waiting with other parents outside a sporting complex in Cuernavaca, Morelos state, when two armed men arrived on a motorbike, per the BBC . One stepped off...
'One Of the Most Important'
Mexican Artists Dies at 81
Dec 12, 2021 2:30 PM CST
'One Of the Most Important' Mexican Artists Dies at 81
Vicente Fernández, revered Mexican singer, was known for mastery of mariachi and ranchera music
- Vicente Fernández, a beloved Mexican singer who was awarded three Grammys and nine Latin Grammys and inspired a new generation of performers, including his son Alejandro Fernández Jr., died on Sunday. He was 81 years old. Fernández was known for hits such as
Horrific Mexico Crash
Leaves 53 Dead
Dec 10, 2021 12:42 AM CST
Horrific Mexico Crash Leaves 53 Dead
Another 54 injured as freight truck smuggling migrants appears to lose control
- Rescue workers rushing to a highway accident found a horrific scene of death and injury after a freight truck jammed with as many as 200 migrants tipped over and crashed into the base of a steel pedestrian bridge in southern Mexico. The migrants inside the cargo trailer were flipped, tossed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.