Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
University of Virginia
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jury: Time for Yeardley
Love's Killer to Pay Up
May 3, 2022 6:26 AM CDT
Jury: Time for Yeardley Love's Killer to Pay Up
George Huguely must pay $15M to mom, sister of slain UVA lacrosse player in wrongful death case
- Sharon Love had already seen her daughter's killer put behind bars for more than two decades. On Monday, the mother of murdered University of Virginia lacrosse player Yeardley Love received financial compensation as well. The
reports that Sharon Love and her other daughter, Lexie Love Hodges, were...
Murder Is Now
Focus of Civil Trial
Apr 24, 2022 8:32 AM CDT
Lacrosse Star's Murder Is Now Focus of Civil Trial
University of Virginia's Yeardley Love was killed by George Huguely
- A decade ago, University of Virginia lacrosse player George Huguely V was convicted of second-degree murder after a sensational criminal trial in the killing of his on-again, off-again girlfriend, Yeardley Love, a member of the UVA women's lacrosse team. With Huguely now about halfway through his 23-year prison sentence,...
Virginia School Drops 238
Students Over Vax Status
Aug 21, 2021 9:54 AM CDT
Virginia School Drops 238 Students Over Vax Status
University of Virginia has an A average for vaccinations so far, though
- The University of Virginia has disenrolled students who haven’t proved they’ve gotten vaccinated and haven’t responded to repeated messages reminding them to get the shot. There were 238 students on the roll for fall, but only 49 had actually registered for classes, the
reports. Some of...
Reference to Slavery in
UVa Logo Is Edited Out
in case you missed it
Jun 21, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Reference to Slavery in UVa Logo Is Edited Out
Sword handles undergo edit to remove reference to walls that hid slaves
- The University of Virginia has altered its new athletics logo, revealed less than two months ago, over references to the school's history of slavery. The longstanding logo features a large "V" over crossed sabres, and in that April update, new detailing that was meant to "mimic the...
Coach of National
Champs Declines Raise
Sep 17, 2019 12:36 PM CDT
Coach of National Champs Declines Raise
Move by University of Virginia's Tony Bennett is making waves
- University of Virginia men's basketball coach Tony Bennett has declined a pay raise offered by the school and instead asked school officials for additional compensation for his staff and program improvement, the AP reports. University officials said in a news release Monday that Bennett did sign a one-year contract...
Latest Team to
Turn Down WH
Invite: 'Difficult, If
Apr 27, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Latest Team to Turn Down WH Invite: 'Difficult, If Not Impossible'
Tony Bennett, coach of Virginia Cavaliers, says it's a scheduling issue
- The Virginia Cavaliers won their first-ever NCAA men's basketball championship in early April by beating Texas Tech, and like many victors, the University of Virginia men's basketball team may have had a chance to visit the White House—except the team's coach says they're not going,...
Watch the Crazy Finish
That Decides Final Four Game
Apr 7, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Watch the Crazy Finish That Decides Final Four Game
Virginia beats Auburn with 3 free throws, will play Texas Tech for championship
- The University of Virginia will play Texas Tech in Monday's NCAA title game thanks to a crazy finish in Virginia's game against Auburn. (See the video .) With his team trailing 62-60, Virginia's Kyle Guy put up a last-second 3-point shot. He missed, but a foul...
UVA to Richard
Away Till 2022
Oct 27, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
UVA to Richard Spencer: Stay Away Till 2022
White nationalist, 9 others banned from campus for 4 years
- If Richard Spencer wants to try to stir up any trouble in Charlottesville , he's going to have to do it anywhere other than the University of Virginia, at least for the next four years. That's because, per the
, the UVA grad and noted white nationalist has...
White Supremacist Rally
Organizer Banned From UVA
Apr 28, 2018 11:07 AM CDT
White Supremacist Rally Organizer Banned From UVA
Jason Kessler is accused of hateful cyber-threats and bullying
- The University of Virginia has issued a no-trespass warning to the organizer of last summer’s deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, reports the
New York Times
. The warning effectively bans Jason Kessler from the campus for up to four years, per the
. The move follows reports that...
University of Virginia
Got Money From KKK.
Here's How It's Using It
Sep 14, 2017 6:38 PM CDT
University of Virginia Got Money From KKK. Here's How It's Using It
'I hope any remaining members of the KKK will appreciate the irony'
- In 1921, the Ku Klux Klan pledged $1,000 to the University of Virginia. That amount, in today's dollars, would be about $12,400, and with that in mind, the university is allocating an equivalent amount, $12,500, to the Charlottesville Patient Support Fund, which will be used to...
Sep 6, 2017 10:35 AM CDT
Charlottesville Concert Lineup Released
Dave Matthews Band, Justin Timberlake, Ariana Grande among performers
- Dave Matthews Band will take the stage in their hometown for a concert to benefit the victims of violence in Charlottesville, Va. The Sept. 24 concert at the University of Virginia will be the only live performance of the year for the band, which was first to suggest such a...
ESPN Pulls Announcer From
UVa Game Due to His Name
Aug 23, 2017 8:21 AM CDT
ESPN Pulls Announcer From UVa Game Due to His Name
Commentator Robert Lee's moniker too similar to Confederate general's: network
- ESPN may have been trying to nip a future hubbub in the bud, but, as CNN notes, it just created a whole new controversy. Asian-American announcer Robert Lee was slated to call the University of Virginia's home-opening football game against William and Mary on Sept. 2, but the ESPN...
White Nationalists March
on University of Virginia
Aug 12, 2017 10:22 AM CDT
White Nationalists March on University of Virginia
Officials are worried about violence at neo-Nazi rally Saturday
- Neo-Nazis, white nationalists, and other members of the alt-right clashed with counter-protesters Friday night at the University of Virginia ahead of what the Southern Poverty Law Center says could be the "largest hate-gathering of its kind in decades in the United States," CNN reports. Images from Charlottesville, Virginia,...
to Settle Rape Story Lawsuit
Jun 14, 2017 4:00 AM CDT
Pays $1.65M to Settle Rape Story Lawsuit
UVa frat plans to make donation to sex assault prevention
magazine has agreed to pay $1.65 million to settle a defamation lawsuit filed by a University of Virginia fraternity over a debunked story about a gang-rape, the fraternity said Tuesday. The settlement closes the final chapter of a lengthy legal saga sparked by the 2014 story "...
Dec 1, 2016 5:21 PM CST
Need Sleep? Go Online
Study says new online therapy program is helping sleepless subjects
- A 70-year-old Californian who'd suffered from longtime insomnia had tapped into almost every remedy to no avail—until she tried out a new online therapy that has her "sleeping much better now," she tells the
New York Times
. The automated program, called SHUTi , is an online adaptation...
UVa Staff, Students
to President: Stop
Nov 15, 2016 8:43 AM CST
UVa Staff, Students to President: Stop Quoting Jefferson
Teresa Sullivan was trying to unite community after election, but quote backfired
- "Never put off to tomorrow what you can do today" was one of Thomas Jefferson's "canons of conduct," and so faculty and students at the college he founded, the University of Virginia, wasted little time in responding to an email from the school's president that...
UVa Dean Awarded $3M
Nov 8, 2016 12:03 AM CST
UVa Dean Awarded $3M Over
She said discredited story ruined her life
- A University of Virginia administrator who says she was falsely portrayed as the villain in
now-discredited gang rape story has been awarded $3 million by a federal jury. The jury decided to award former associate dean Nicole Eramo $2 million from journalist Sabrina Rubin Erdely and $1...
Dean With College Rape Story
Nov 4, 2016 1:22 PM CDT
Defamed Dean With College Rape Story
The magazine was found guilty over its discredited article on Friday
- A federal jury found
magazine, its publisher, and a reporter defamed a University of Virginia administrator in a discredited story about gang rape at a fraternity house, multiple news outlets including the
report. University of Virginia administrator Nicole Eramo claimed the 2014 article portrayed her as...
Woman at Center of UVa Rape
Controversy Stands by Story
Oct 24, 2016 6:52 PM CDT
Woman at Center of UVa Rape Controversy Stands by Story
Jurors watch 'Jackie's' taped deposition
- The woman at the center of a now-retracted 2014
article about campus rape is not retracting the account she gave to the reporter, the
reports. Jackie, as she's called to protect her identity , says in her first public statements in nearly two years that she...
Stand in Rape Story Case
Oct 22, 2016 11:04 AM CDT
Reporter Takes Stand in Rape Story Case
Sabrina Erdely says 'Jackie' was completely convincing as a rape victim
reporter currently being sued for defamation over a discredited and retracted story of gang rape at the University of Virginia took the stand this week to convince jurors that her source was utterly convincing, Charlottesville Newsplex reports. According to the
, Sabrina Erdely not only found...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pete Rose on Sex Misconduct Claims: '55 Years Ago, Babe'
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Top US General Vowed to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Trump: FBI Has Raided 'My Beautiful Home'
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.