Wealthiest Join Blog to Back Protests

They're the fabled 'one percent'
By Matt Cantor,  Newser Staff
Posted Oct 14, 2011 1:40 PM CDT
We Are the 1 Percent Blog Features Rich People Supporting the Protests
A screen shot of the 'We Are the 1 Percent' blog.   (Tumblr)

(Newser) – The Occupy Wall Street protesters say they are the 99%—and now members of the other 1% are coming to their aid. A new Tumblr blog called "We Are the 1 Percent" features statements of support from people who say their wealth has made their lives easy. "I haven't worked any harder than they have," notes one post. "I stand with the 99 percent, and I want this system to change."

story continues below

"Some people work 3 jobs just to survive. I got $3 million just for being born. We need a radical redistribution of wealth," says another one-percenter. The posts echo the "We Are the 99 Percent" blog, which is filled with posts by people struggling in the economy. Both sites share the same goal, notes Good: battling income inequality in the US. (And for an opposing view, don't forget the We Are the 53% blog.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.