Jimmy Kimmel received generally good marks as host of the White House Correspondents' Dinner last night, tweaking both parties without going for the jugular. And both Kimmel and the president dinged Mitt Romney—not in attendance—a few times. Among the top lines of the night, as per Politico:
- "It doesn't matter if you're black, like President Obama, or white, like President Obama, or red, like President Obama's agenda," said Kimmel.
- "I talked to a guy who was a huge supporter of ObamaCare and a guy who said it was a disaster and it should be killed immediately, which was interesting because I never met Mitt Romney before."
- To New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie: "I think you're misunderstanding New Jersey's slogan. It's not the Olive Garden state."
- To Obama, on a darker note: "Remember when the country rallied around you in hopes of a better tomorrow? That was hilarious."
- "Four years ago, I was locked in a brutal primary battle with Hillary Clinton," said Obama. "Four years later, she won't stop drunk-texting me from Cartagena."
- "Anyway, it’s great to be here this evening in the vast, magnificent Hilton ballroom—or what Mitt Romney would call a little fixer-upper."
- "Look at this party. We’ve got men in tuxes, women in gowns, fine wine, first-class entertainment. I was just relieved to learn this was not a GSA conference."
- "I have a lot more material prepared," said Obama to end his speech, "but I have to get the Secret Service home in time for their new curfew."
Click for more zingers from Obama
. (Read more Mitt Romney