X

Video May Show Suspect in Boston

FBI says no arrests have been made
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 17, 2013 12:38 PM CDT
Updated Apr 17, 2013 2:11 PM CDT
Boston Suspect Reportedly IDed
Investigators comb through the post finish line area of the Boston Marathon at Boylston Street, two days after two bombs exploded just before the finish line, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, in Boston.   (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

(Newser) – Authorities have spotted a possible suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing, sources tell CNN. The breakthrough comes based on analysis of security camera footage from a Lord & Taylor store near the site of the second explosion. Other outlets echoed the news, and some, including AP, initially reported that a suspect was in custody. The FBI, however, released a statement insisting that "contrary to widespread reporting" no arrest has been made. It urged the media to check its information more thoroughly. CNN also reported that an arrest had been made, but the network later backtracked.

story continues below

"The video showed clearly at the site of the second explosion an individual showing up and placing a black bag," John King said on CNN. One of the network's sources say authorities haven't identified the man in the video. In another development, authorities have recovered a piece of circuit board that they believe was part of one of the devices. They also found the lid of a pressure cooker that may have been part of a device, apparently blasted all the way to a nearby roof. More should become clear about the progress on the case at a federal news conference later today. (Read more Boston Marathon bombing stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X