For you weary souls feeling bludgeoned by the whole Duck Dynasty saga, the New York Post is doggedly determined to make you think about something else, something you probably never wanted to scar your retinas with again: Eliot Spitzer's romantic life. Specifically, the affair that the somehow-still-married disgraced former governor—last seen failing to secure the Democratic nod for NYC comptroller—may or may not be carrying on with a former aide 23 years his junior. It seems the Post has recently taken to staking out the New York apartment of "tall, dark-haired beauty" Lis Smith, currently Bill de Blasio's communications director. The sum total of its less-than-shocking expose:
- Spitzer arrived at Smith's apartment Wednesday at 10pm wearing "a white hoodie and a grin." He left the next morning at 5:45am "with bags under his eyes." One can reasonably infer that the Post paid someone to stand across the street for 7 hours and 45 minutes in New York in December for this bit of reconnaissance.
- Spitzer showed up the next night around 10pm, and the pair emerged an hour later to have "a candlelit dinner" at a "cozy French eatery" 20 feet from Smith's door. As they left, "Smith gave Spitzer a flirtatious look over her shoulder before the couple disappeared back into her walkup." He once again left the next morning.
- The manager of aforementioned cozy eatery says they're regulars, amusingly adding: "The first time I saw Spitzer, I didn’t know if he was Eliot Spitzer or Anthony Weiner. Those two are like the same exact guy." Yes. No.
- From Team Spitzer: "Lis Smith is a friend of Eliot’s, and he holds her in high regard."
- The Post has photos of those eye bags.
(Read more Eliot Spitzer