Chewing Gum Likely Killed Sleeping Basketball Player

Shanice Clark, 21, was found unresponsive Sunday morning
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jan 20, 2015 3:51 PM CST
Chewing Gum Likely Killed Sleeping Basketball Player

A western Pennsylvania university student and basketball player likely inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep before being found dead in her dormitory over the weekend. The Washington County coroner's office says 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive about 3am Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania. University officials say they are "deeply saddened" by the death of the 6-foot senior forward, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.

California borough police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicates that the death appears to be accidental. An autopsy was conducted yesterday. Although the coroner didn't immediately release the results, police say medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping. (More chewing gum stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.