Veterans Day is coming up on Wednesday, and in a nod to it, Parade lists 13 celebrities who've served in the military. Here are 6 standouts, along with some details from Military.com about their service:
- Chuck Norris: Air Force, 1958-1962. The champion martial artist was first exposed to the martial arts while stationed in Korea.
- Clint Eastwood: Army, 1951-1953. He was drafted during the Korean War and, thanks to the GI Bill, studied drama in college after he was discharged.
- Drew Carey: Marine Corps Reserves, 1980-1986. The crew-cut hairstyle and horn-rimmed glasses he's known is a look that stretches back to his days of service.
- Ice-T: Army, 1971-1975. "When I had my daughter I was like, man, I'm going to go to jail, I got to do something, and I went to an enlistment office. Next thing you know, I'm in the military, four years infantry."
Click for the complete list
- Montel Williams: Marine Corps and Navy, 1974-1996. After high school he became a Marine, but he went on to attend the Naval Academy Preparatory School and the US Naval Academy at Annapolis; he was the "first black enlisted Marine" to graduate from both.
- Morgan Freeman: Air Force, 1955-1959. He was so enthralled with the idea of being a fighter pilot that he declined a scholarship that would have had him study drama at Jackson State University. He later realized what his true passion was.
—including one woman. (Read more Chuck Norris