Today under the heading of "Why, God, why?": Burger King has introduced a new menu item called the Whopperito. As you might expect, it's made up of the Whopper ingredients (beef, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, onions) but inside a tortilla instead of on a bun. Grub Grade spotted an ad for the Whopperito at a Pennsylvania Burger King, and it's not yet clear whether the product will get a wider release. Some reactions:
- Consumerist's headline: "The End Is Nigh: Burger King Is Testing Something Called The Whopperito"
- Most reactions on Twitter are along the lines of "WTF?!" Sample: "There's nothing in the world I want less than a 'Whopperito.'"
- But one Twitter user points out: "dont act like yall are too good to eat a whopperito yall would f---in do it ironically and enjoy it but never admit it."
- How does it actually taste? A Grub Grade commenter writes, "It has spicy cheese sauce instead of actual cheese. The whole thing is too 'wet'—the cheese sauce mixed with the vegetables ... is a lot of moisture. The proportion of burger to the rest of the ingredients is way off and the cheese sauce is too spicy. And it’s hard to get all of the ingredients in one bite. I won’t order it again."
- As Consumerist points out, a Twitter user actually described something he called a "Whopperito" back in 2012: It involved getting a Whopper from Burger King and a Burrito Grande from Taco Bell, "and fold the whopper into the burrito. Whopperito."
(Read more Burger King