Responding to Saturday Night Live's swipe that she is "complicit" in her father's presidency, Ivanka Trump tells CBS News, "If being complicit is wanting to ... be a force for good and to make a positive impact, then I’m complicit." In an interview with Gayle King taped Tuesday, the assistant to the president says she simply wants "to be a force for good and to make a positive impact." More noteworthy quotes, per CNN:
- On assuming her new role: "I realized that having one foot in and one foot out wouldn't work. And the reality is that it all happened very organically for me."
- On that "complicit" label: "I don't know that the critics who may say that of me, if they found themselves in this very unique and unprecedented situation that I am now in, would do any differently than I am doing."
- On why she doesn’t speak out on issues like gay rights: "I would say not to conflate lack of public denouncement with silence … I think most of the impact I have, over time most people will not actually know about."
- But wait: "For me, this isn't about promoting my viewpoints. I wasn't elected by the American people to be president."
- On why Kushner's lack of political experience shouldn't matter: "Jared is incredibly smart, very talented, has enormous capacity. He is humble in the recognition of what he doesn't know. And is tremendously secure in his ability to seek informed viewpoints."
(Watch the Saturday Night Live
ad for a fake Ivanka perfume called "Complicit."