T-Rex Puts On Spectacular but Unintended Show

Giant animatronic dinosaur goes up in flames at theme park in Colorado
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Mar 23, 2018 7:00 AM CDT

(Newser) – The co-owner of a dinosaur-themed park in southern Colorado thinks an electrical malfunction caused a life-size animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex to burst into flames. Zach Reynolds says the T-Rex at the Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience in Canon City smoldered for about 10 minutes before it caught fire Thursday morning, per the AP. Visitors watched as the inferno spread through the dinosaur, which appeared at times to be breathing flames.

story continues below

The 24-foot-tall T-Rex, which moved and made sounds, was one of 16 dinosaurs that line the park's Wild Walk exhibit. Reynolds says it was a total loss, but at least "it made for some spectacular imagery along the way." He hopes to have a replacement T-Rex installed by the summer.

(Read more Tyrannosaurus rex stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.