Nancy Pelosi is turning a President Trump taunt into a bragging point. Trump tweeted a photo of Pelosi standing during an Oval Office meeting and pointing a finger toward Trump. "Nervous Nancy's unhinged meltdown!" he wrote in the caption. Pelosi, however, loves the image, which shows her standing alone at a table packed with men as she speaks. As Business Insider notes, Pelosi has turned the official White House photo into her Twitter cover image. Details:
- The meeting: The photo comes from Wednesday's volatile meeting between congressional leaders and Trump. Democrats left early, and Pelosi said afterward that Trump had a "meltdown" over criticism of his Syrian decision. However, Trump responded on Twitter that it was Pelosi who had the "total meltdown," adding, "Pray for her, she is a very sick person."
- Reaction: Meghan McCain is among those siding with Pelosi in regard to the photo. "What is this thing everywhere where tough women who don’t put up with s--- are 'unhinged'?!" she writes. "Nancy looks like a bad b---- in control of a room entirely filled with men!"
- On the right: McCain is a frequent critic of Trump, but the Washington Post notes that even some conservatives are siding with Pelosi as well on this. "That would happen to be a woman standing up and asserting herself at a table full of men," writes Amanda Carpenter, a former aide to Ted Cruz and former Sen. Jim DeMint. "I understand such a scene may cause a meltdown but I assure you it's not on Speaker Pelosi's behalf." She also expressed amazement that a Republican president somehow caused her to defend Pelosi.
- Republicans: House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who was also present at the meeting, called Pelosi's behavior "unbecoming," per the Washington Post. "Unfortunately, the speaker tries to make everything political," McCarthy said. "Her whole focus has to be on impeachment."
- More from meeting: The New York Times has details on the meeting itself. Among the exchanges: "I hate ISIS more than you do," Trump told Pelosi, who responded, "You don't know that." At another point, Pelosi told Trump that "all roads with you lead to Putin." He called her a "third-grade politician" (though some outlets have it as "third-rate").
- Schumer, too: The AP notes that Chuck Schumer also got into it with Trump. "Is your plan to rely on the Syrians and the Turks?" Trump replied, "Our plan is to keep the American people safe." Pelosi said: "That's not a plan. That's a goal."
(Read more Nancy Pelosi