Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Says Nation
Must 'Address the Hate'
May 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Biden Says Nation Must 'Address the Hate'
President addresses Buffalo shooting at ceremony for fallen officers
- President Biden on Sunday condemned the mass shooting in Buffalo, calling the killer a "hate-filled soul" while acknowledging the wearying effect of such crimes on the nation. "We must all work together to address the hate that remains a stain on the soul of America," the president...
Takes First Steps on
May 12, 2022 7:17 PM CDT
Administration Takes First Steps on Formula Shortage
Biden meets with companies about increasing supply
- The Biden administration told the nation what it's doing to eliminate the shortage of infant formula on Thursday, but officials had few answers about when their actions will make a difference. Among the efforts that the administration conceded are less than major, President Biden met with representatives of manufacturers...
Pelosi Makes Unannounced
Trip to Meet Zelensky
May 1, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
Pelosi Makes Unannounced Trip to Meet Zelensky
Congressional delegation travels to Kyiv, Ukraine
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made an unannounced trip to Ukraine on Saturday to meet with President Volodymyr Zelensky and demonstrate that he had the support of the US Congress, per the AP . Pelosi is the most senior American lawmaker to visit Ukraine since Russia's war began more than two...
Nancy Pelosi Tests Positive
Apr 7, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Nancy Pelosi Tests Positive
House speaker, 82, has no COVID symptoms, says spokesperson
- Add Nancy Pelosi's name to the list of DC bigwigs who've tested positive for COVID-19. "After testing negative this week, Speaker Pelosi received a positive test result for COVID-19 and is currently asymptomatic," tweeted spokesman Drew Hammill on Thursday. He added that Pelosi, who's vaccinated...
Trump: I Regret Not
Marching to the Capitol
Apr 7, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Trump: I Regret Not Marching to the Capitol
Former president blames Nancy Pelosi for not containing the day's violence
- Donald Trump tells the
he wanted to march to the Capitol with his supporters on Jan. 6, 2021, but Secret Service wouldn't allow it. "I would have gone there in a minute," he says in the interview. Trump criticized the violence that ensued and, as...
Says He'll Resign
Mar 26, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Convicted Congressman Says He'll Resign
GOP's Ken Fortenberry was found guilty of lying to federal officials
: Republican Rep. Jeff Fortenberry announced Saturday that he's resigning from Congress, two days after his conviction in federal court. "Due to the difficulties of my current circumstances, I can no longer serve you effectively," he said in a statement, KETV reports. The nine-term Nebraska congressman's...
Takes New COVID Money
From Spending Package
Mar 10, 2022 1:26 AM CST
Democratic Uprising Takes New COVID Money From Spending Package
Bill to keep government running has $13B for Ukraine's fight
The House approved a massive spending bill Wednesday night that would rush $13.6 billion in US aid to battered Ukraine and its European allies, after top Democrats were forced to abruptly drop their plan to include fresh funds to battle COVID-19. Senate approval was assured by week’s...
Pelosi Has Theory
Feb 13, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Pelosi Has Theory About Midterms
Speaker contradicts Manchin on his Build Back Better argument
- History shows the political party holding the White House nearly always loses congressional seats in midterm elections. But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that recent history gives her hope about Democrats' prospects this year,
reports. "One of the reasons that, in part, the president’s party loses...
Nancy Pelosi Says
She Isn't Retiring
Jan 25, 2022 8:37 PM CST
Nancy Pelosi Says She Isn't Retiring
'This election is crucial,' she says
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Tuesday she will seek reelection, ending speculation that she would retire as Democrats face the threat of losing control of Congress in the 2022 midterms. "While we have made progress, much more needs to be done to improve people’s lives,” the 81-year-old...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
He Arrived in DC Too Late for
the Riot. He Still Got 28 Months
Dec 14, 2021 4:17 PM CST
He Arrived in DC Too Late for the Riot. He Still Got 28 Months
Cleveland Meredith threatened to shoot Nancy Pelosi on live TV
- A Georgia man whose family says he fell "hook, line, and sinker" for the QAnon conspiracy theory has been sentenced to 28 months in prison for threatening to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Authorities say Cleveland Meredith Jr. drove from Colorado, where he had been on a skiing vacation...
Pelosi Says Paid Leave
Is Back in Spending Bill
Nov 3, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Pelosi Says Paid Leave Is Back in Spending Bill
Not so fast, says Joe Manchin
- Paid family and medical leave is back in the House's version of the Democrats' domestic spending bill, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday—but since Sen. Joe Manchin hasn't changed his position, the odds of it making it into the final bill may be slim. The paid leave...
Pelosi Says Democrats Almost
Have a Spending Bill Deal
Oct 24, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Pelosi Says Democrats Almost Have a Spending Bill Deal
Biden meets with Manchin in Delaware
- Asked Sunday when congressional Democrats will reach an agreement on President Biden's social safety net legislation, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said it could be any time now. "I think we are pretty much there now," Pelosi said on CNN's
State of the Union
. "We have...
Biden Will Try to Break
Oct 1, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Biden Will Try to Break Logjam Himself
And Bernie Sanders is ticked at two fellow Democratic senators who remain holdouts
- The shutdown has been averted , at least temporarily. Now the focus is solely on whether Democrats can reach a compromise on legislation crucial to President Biden's agenda. Toward that end, Biden himself will travel to Capitol Hill to meet with House Democrats later Friday afternoon, reports the Hill and...
House Bill Guarantees
Women's Right to Abortion
Sep 24, 2021 12:29 PM CDT
House Bill Guarantees Women's Right to Abortion
But measure to codify Roe v. Wade is almost certain to fail in the Senate
- The House on Friday passed a bill that would guarantee women can have abortions if they choose, though the legislation will likely end up being only a symbolic victory for advocates. As NPR reports, the measure is doomed to near-certain failure in the Senate, where it needs not only the...
Pelosi's New Problem:
9 Fellow Democrats
Aug 13, 2021 3:44 PM CDT
Pelosi's New Problem: 9 Fellow Democrats
She's given an ultimatum over budget and infrastructure measures
- A group of nine Democratic House members has told Speaker Nancy Pelosi they won't vote for the $3.5 trillion budget until the chamber takes up the Senate's infrastructure bill. "We will not consider voting for a budget resolution until the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act...
Pelosi: House Will Hold Off
on Infrastructure Bill Vote
Aug 11, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Pelosi: House Will Hold Off on Infrastructure Bill Vote
House Dems will wait until larger $3.5T package has also cleared Senate
- A $1 trillion infrastructure passed the Senate with bipartisan support Tuesday—but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is resisting pressure from moderate Democrats to bring it up for a vote immediately. Sources tell the Hill that during a call with House Democrats on Wednesday, Pelosi said she was sticking to her...
Aug 5, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Lawmaker Suing Pelosi Over Mask Policy Gets COVID
South Carolina's Ralph Norman tested positive despite being vaccinated
- Rep. Ralph Norman, one of the three congressional Republicans suing Speaker Nancy Pelosi over fines for not wearing masks during a vote on the House floor, has contracted a breakthrough case of COVID-19, per the AP . Norman, who has said he has been fully vaccinated since February, tweeted that he...
Aug 2, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
McCarthy's Gavel Joke Sparks Calls for Resignation
He was speaking at a fundraiser about the possibility of GOP retaking House in 2022
- The Kevin McCarthy-Nancy Pelosi feud has taken on an aggressive tenor: Speaking at a Tennessee Republican Party fundraiser Saturday night, the House minority leader addressed the possibility that he may become Speaker of the House after the midterm elections. "I want you to watch Nancy Pelosi hand me that...
Jul 26, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
Republicans Seething Over Pelosi's Move
They want House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy to punish 2 Republicans named to Jan. 6 panel
- The special House panel set up to investigate the Capitol riot will start hearing testimony on Tuesday, but it's still not clear whether the final makeup of the panel is set. As of Tuesday morning, seven Democrats and two Republicans were on board after political sniping between Nancy Pelosi...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.