The nominees for this year's Oscars are out, and David Fincher’s Mank leads the way with 10 nods, per the AP. Also of note: For the first time, two women—Chloé Zhao and Emerald Fennell—were nominated for best director. This year's show will be telecast on April 25. Nominees in the big categories:
- Best picture: The Father, Judas and the Black Messiah, Mank, Minari, Nomadland, Promising Young Woman, Sound of Metal, and The Trial of the Chicago 7.
- Best actress: Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman; Frances McDormand, Nomadland; Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom; Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman; Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday.
- Best actor: Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom; Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal; Anthony Hopkins, The Father; Gary Oldman, Mank; Steven Yeun, Minari.
- Best director: Chloé Zhao, Nomadland; Lee Isaac Chung, Minari; David Fincher, Mank; Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman; Thomas Vinterberg, Another Round.
- Best supporting actress: Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm; Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy; Olivia Colman, The Father; Amanda Seyfried, Mank; Yuh-Jung Youn, Minari.
- Best supporting actor: Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7; Leslie Odom Jr., One Night in Miami; Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah; Paul Raci, Sound of Metal; LaKeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah.
- Best documentary: Collective, Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution, The Mole Agent, My Octopus Teacher, and Time.
- Best original screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah, Shaka King and Will Berson; Minari, Lee Isaac Chung; Promising Young Woman, Emerald Fennell; Sound of Metal, Darius Marder and Abraham Marder; Trial of the Chicago 7, Aaron Sorkin.
- Best animated feature: Onward, Over the Moon, A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon, Soul, and Wolfwalkers.
(Read more Academy Awards