Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
You Won't See Will Smith
at the Oscars for 10 Years
Apr 8, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
You Won't See Will Smith at the Oscars for 10 Years
But academy's board does not strip him of his award
- This year's Oscar for best actor will remain in the hands of Will Smith. The board of governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced its punishment Friday for his infamous slap of Chris Rock , and it does not involve stripping him of his statuette. Instead,...
Chris Rock's Brother:
Here's What Should
Happen to Will Smith
Apr 5, 2022 1:31 AM CDT
Chris Rock's Brother: Here's What Should Happen to Will Smith
Kenny Rock wants Smith's Oscar taken away, among other things
- As far as Chris Rock's brother is concerned, the Academy Award Will Smith won shortly after slapping Rock onstage at the Oscars should be revoked, and Smith should be banned from attending future ceremonies. "I might have looked at it differently had he initially apologized when he got...
Will Smith Projects Slow Down
Apr 4, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Will Smith Projects Slow Down
Interest in making a biopic of the actor has faded since the Oscars
- The long-term fallout from Will Smith's slap of Chris Rock at the Academy Awards isn't known yet, but immediate effects are surfacing. Producers have slowed, if not stopped, a couple of his next jobs, per the
. One film,
Fast and Loose
, lost its director before the...
Will Smith Resigns
Apr 1, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Will Smith Resigns From Academy
Board says disciplinary process will continue
- Facing an investigation and a disciplinary hearing over his assault of comedian Chris Rock on the Oscars stage, actor Will Smith has resigned as a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In a statement issued Friday, Smith apologized for his behavior Sunday and said he'll...
Chris Rock Was 'Dismissive'
of LAPD Arresting Will Smith
Apr 1, 2022 12:06 AM CDT
Chris Rock Was 'Dismissive' of LAPD Arresting Will Smith
Meanwhile, Smith's apology call to Academy leadership is causing yet more controversy
- After the Oscars slap heard 'round the world, Los Angeles Police Department officers approached Chris Rock and made it clear they would arrest Will Smith if that's what he wanted, according to an Academy Awards producer who sat down for an interview with
Good Morning America
Near the Slap:
Mar 31, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Famed Director Was Seated Near the Slap: His View
Pedro Almodovar blasts Will Smith for talking like a 'cult leader' in his acceptance speech
- Director Pedro Almodovar attended the Academy Awards this year and wrote an Oscar-night diary for IndieWire . It would be interesting reading for movie fans in any year as he talks about his run-ins with celebs including Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, and Al Pacino, and carps about the cold temperature in...
What Chris Rock Said
at His Show in Boston Tonight
Mar 30, 2022 8:49 PM CDT
What Chris Rock Said at His Show in Boston Tonight
Comedian didn't fully address the Oscars incident, but said he will eventually
- Chris Rock took the stage for the first time since Will Smith slapped him in the face on live television at the Academy Awards, and he told a sold-out crowd at Boston's Wilbur theater that he's "still kind of processing what happened," and that while he...
Will Smith Refused
to Leave Ceremony
Mar 30, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
Academy Says Will Smith Refused to Leave Ceremony
Board of governors condemns 'deeply shocking, traumatic event'
This story has been updated with new developments
. Will Smith remained sitting in the front row at the Oscars after he slapped Chris Rock on Sunday night, but he was no longer a welcome guest, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says. The Academy said Wednesday that...
'I Was Wrong,' Will Smith
Tells Chris Rock in Post
Mar 29, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
'I Was Wrong,' Will Smith Tells Chris Rock in Post
Support and backlash are circulating after Oscar-winning actor slapped comedian onstage
This file has been updated to include Will Smith's online post Monday
. Will Smith has written a public apology to Chris Rock for slapping him Sunday night during the Academy Awards ceremony,
reports. "I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris," says the Instagram...
Oscar Ratings Climb
to Second-Worst Ever
Mar 28, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
Oscar Ratings Climb to Second-Worst Ever
Audience grew 59% over last year's, early Nielsen numbers show
- One thing that improved this year for the Oscars was the TV ratings. Preliminary Nielsen data show 15.4 million people watched Sunday night's ceremony, up 56% from last year's 9.85 million. Even with that jump, though, the show's performance ranks as historically poor—last year'...
Comedians Speak Out
Against Will Smith Slap
Mar 28, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Comedians Speak Out Against Will Smith Slap
'What you saw on TV was a guy with real issues,' says Howard Stern
- Chris Rock isn't pressing charges after being slapped by Will Smith at the Oscars on Sunday night—but if the case went to a jury of the two men's celebrity peers, it would likely be very difficult to reach a verdict. Some, especially comedians, slammed Smith's behavior...
Mar 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Tim Cook Just Dunked on Netflix, Amazon
Oscar win for his platform's 'CODA' gives him bragging rights ahead of older rivals
won the Oscar for best picture on Sunday, it handed a huge victory to Tim Cook and his Apple+ streaming platform. After all, Cook "triumphed just two and a half years after formally entering the film and TV business," writes Matthew Belloni at Puck . He trumped...
Here Are Your Oscar Winners
Mar 28, 2022 3:03 AM CDT
Here Are Your Oscar Winners
Apple TV+ drama 'CODA' wins best picture
- After a movie year often light on crowds, the Academy Awards named an unabashed crowd-pleaser, the deaf family drama
, best picture Sunday, handing Hollywood’s top award to a streaming service for the first time. Sian Heder’s
which first premiered at a virtual Sundance Film Festival in...
Shows Up to Oscars
Stewart in Shorts
Mar 28, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Timothee Chalamet Shows Up to Oscars Shirtless, Kristen Stewart in Shorts
Check out the best, worst, and weirdest red carpet looks
- Timothee Chalamet showed up shirtless, Kristen Stewart showed up in shorts, and a bunch of other Academy Awards attendees showed up looking just as glamorous as one might expect to walk the Oscars red carpet Sunday night. Scroll through our gallery for some of the looks selected by
Will Smith Slaps
Chris Rock at Oscars
Mar 27, 2022 10:37 PM CDT
Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock at Oscars
After joke about Jada Pinkett Smith
- A 94th Academy Awards that steadily maintained a buoyant spirit was rocked by an unbelievable exchange after Will Smith took offense to a joke made by Chris Rock about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. After Rock joked to Pinkett Smith that he was looking forward to a sequel to
8 Oscars Have
Mar 27, 2022 6:54 PM CDT
8 Oscars Have Already Been Handed Out
'Dune' wins 4 before the Academy Awards ceremony officially begins
- Denis Villeneuve's science-fiction epic
has won four Academy Awards, even if the broadcast hasn't begun yet. The 94th Academy Awards got underway Sunday off-camera, with the first eight awards on the night being handed out at the Dolby Theatre before the ABC telecast started at 8pm Eastern...
I Can't Believe
I'm Still the
in case you missed it
Mar 27, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
Halle Berry: I Can't Believe I'm Still the Only One
She became first Black woman to win top Oscar 20 years ago, says it's 'heartbreaking' there isn't a 2nd
- After the Oscars are handed out on Sunday, it's a sure bet that Halle Berry will remain the only Black woman to have won the best actress award. As CNN notes, no Black women are nominated this year. Berry won her Oscar for
in 2002, and...
Beyonce, Billie Eilish
Will Sing Nominated
Songs at Oscars
Mar 22, 2022 7:37 PM CDT
Beyonce, Billie Eilish Will Sing Nominated Songs at Oscars
They'll be joined by Reba McEntire, Sebastián Yatra
- Beyonce, Billie Eilish, and other nominees for best original song will perform at Sunday's Oscars, the show's producers announced Tuesday. Beyonce will perform her nominated song "Be Alive" from
, and Eilish and her brother and co-writer Finneas will perform "No Time to Die"
Film Titans Say Oscars Format
Will Cause 'Irreparable Damage'
Mar 11, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Film Titans Say Oscars Format Will Cause 'Irreparable Damage'
Open letter slams decision to present 8 of the 23 awards off-air
There have been grumblings on #FilmTwitter about the Academy's decision to hand out eight of its 23 awards before the Oscars telecast. An open letter sent to Academy President David Rubin makes clear some heavy hitters also object, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The missive issued Wednesday and...
After SAG Awards
Win, Oscar Buzz
Mar 1, 2022 7:55 AM CST
After SAG Awards Win, Oscar Buzz Spikes for Will Smith
'King Richard' role may earn him first Academy Award; same for Jessica Chastain for Tammy Faye biopic
- It's not a guarantee that if you win a Screen Actors Guild Award you'll also be taking home an Academy Award, but your odds do shoot up. That's why there's now Oscar buzz around Will Smith and Jessica Chastain, who both took home the top acting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.