Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 3, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Greenpeace Stages Sit-In on Rishi Sunak's Roof
Activists against oil drilling draped UK PM's country home in Richmond in black fabric
- Greenpeace demonstrators draped the country estate of British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in black fabric Thursday to protest his plan to expand oil and gas drilling in the North Sea. Video posted by the group showed a crew dressed in bright red jumpsuits, helmets, and safety harnesses carrying ladders and...
NJ's Ban on
Now the Last
of Its Kind
Jun 28, 2023 3:11 PM CDT
NJ's Ban on Self-Serve Gas Now the Last of Its Kind
Some want to see it fall, just like Oregon's
- New Jersey is about to be the only state in the country where you're not allowed to pump your own gas. Last week, Oregon's Senate voted 16-9 to overturn a ban on self-serve gas that's been in place since 1951. As Quartz reports, half of the state'...
California Was Just Booted as
State With Most Expensive Gas
Jun 22, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
California Was Just Booted as State With Most Expensive Gas
The price per gallon in Washington now averages nearly $4.95
- There's a new "winner" in the contest of who has the highest gas prices in America, displacing California for the dubious honor: Washington state, where the average price per gallon of regular gas as of AAA's Thursday morning report was just a tad under $4.95. That'...
Gas Is on the Path to
Less Than $3 per Gallon
Aug 16, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Gas Is on the Path to Less Than $3 per Gallon
Though experts warn that's not a guarantee
- For 62 days straight, the average national price for a gallon of gas has fallen, reaching $3.96 on Monday. That's around a 21% drop—$1.06 per gallon—since the $5.02-a-gallon high reached on June 14, reports CNN Business . In nearly 30 states, a gallon now costs...
Gas Prices Likely
to Keep Falling
Aug 3, 2022 1:16 PM CDT
Gas Prices Likely to Keep Falling
Expert predicts national average price to drop below $4 a gallon within a couple weeks
- The average cost of a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline fell for the 50th straight day Wednesday, dropping three cents to $4.16. That's a 17% decline from the record high of $5.02 on June 14, according to the Oil Price Information Service. Prices remain above $5 per...
As Russia Cuts
Gas Flow, One
It's in 'Crisis'
Jun 23, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
As Russia Cuts Gas Flow, One Nation Says It's in 'Crisis'
Germany says storage targets for winter are at risk as Russia reduces energy deliveries to EU nations
- Germany activated the second phase of its three-stage emergency plan for natural gas supplies Thursday, warning that Europe's biggest economy faces a "crisis" and that storage targets for the winter are at risk. The government said the decision follows cuts Russia made to natural gas flows starting last...
Gas Prices Hit
a Nationwide First
Jun 11, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Gas Prices Hit a Nationwide First
Average cost per gallon in the US is now $5, according to AAA
- The nationwide average price for a gallon of gasoline has topped $5 for the first time ever. Auto club AAA said the average price on Saturday was $5.00. Motorists in some parts of the country, especially California, are paying far above that. The national average price has jumped 19...
Pain at the Pump
Sees a New Jump
Jun 6, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Pain at the Pump Sees a New Jump
Gas prices have spiked 25 cents in just one week
- At least 10 states now claim an average gas price of more than $5 per gallon, and some of them can trace this dubious honor back to a surge over the past few days. According to AAA, the country's average increased to $4.87 a gallon on Monday, which...
OPEC Alliance Agrees
to Boost Oil Production
Jun 2, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
OPEC Alliance Agrees to Boost Oil Production
Move by group that includes Russia may bring modest relief to sky-high prices
- The OPEC oil cartel and allied countries including Russia will raise production by 648,000 barrels per day in July and August, offering modest relief for a global economy suffering from soaring energy prices and inflation. The decision Thursday steps up the pace by the alliance, known as OPEC Plus,...
Pay Gas Company
in Rubles. Russia
May 21, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Gazprom has cut off supply of gas to Nordic nation
- Things were already tense between Russia and Finland after the latter nation applied for NATO membership this week, and a new move by the former isn't going to alleviate that tension. Due to crippling sanctions against its central bank because of its invasion of Ukraine, Russia has asked customers...
Russia's Gas Move:
Less a Fatal Blow,
More a Warning
Apr 27, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Russia's Gas Move: Less a Fatal Blow, More a Warning
If Germany's supply is cut off, that's a different story
- Russia says it remains a reliable energy supplier—despite its decision to cut off natural gas supplies to Poland and Bulgaria , a move that prompted EU chief Ursula von der Leyen to denounce Russia's "unreliability" on this front, reports the BBC . It's not the only word being...
At Gas Pumps, 'Dire Situation'
May Be Here Awhile
Mar 8, 2022 12:48 PM CST
At Gas Pumps, 'Dire Situation' May Be Here Awhile
Russia's invasion of Ukraine sent US into 'hyper-supply crunch;' it's not expected to improve soon
- We haven't seen gas prices this high in the US since 2008, with Russia's invasion of Ukraine being a primary driver. AAA reports that the average cost of a gallon of gas was $4.17 as of Tuesday morning, per CNN Business . That's a 10-cents-per-gallon increase just...
For Drivers in 2 States, Big
Change Looms at Gas Pump
Mar 6, 2022 1:45 PM CST
For Drivers in 2 States, Big Change Looms at Gas Pump
New Jersey, Oregon may finally allow drivers to pump their own gas
- Out-of-state drivers heading through New Jersey or Oregon likely encounter a surprise when they stop for gas: In those states, drivers (mostly) still can't pump their own. Now, however, both states are considering legislation to finally allow the practice, reports the Hill . Rising gas prices and a tight labor...
US Sees an Unwanted
First on Gas Prices
Mar 4, 2022 12:17 AM CST
US Sees an Unwanted First on Gas Prices
For first time, average price of a gallon goes over $5 in one city
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine has pushed gas prices sky-high. For the first time in any US city, the average price of a gallon of gas hit $5 in San Francisco on Thursday. The rest of California, the state where gas is the priciest at a current average of $4....
Gas Situation in the UK
Is a Little Crazy Right Now
Sep 27, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Gas Situation in the UK Is a Little Crazy Right Now
Shortage of truck drivers so severe that troops may have to fill in
- Lines of cars formed at British gas stations for a fourth day on Monday, as the government mulled sending in the army to help ease the supply disruptions triggered by a shortage of truck drivers. As unions called for emergency workers to be given priority for fuel supplies, Petrol Retailers...
Woman Catches on Fire in
Latest Gas-Hoarding Mishap
May 15, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Woman Catches on Fire in Latest Gas-Hoarding Mishap
Jessica Gale Patterson crashed car that she was stashing gas in: SC deputies
- The chaotic aftermath of the gas shortage in the South brought about by the Colonial Pipeline hacking continues. On Tuesday a brawl ensued at a North Carolina gas station backed up with long lines, while on Wednesday a Hummer burst into flames in Florida after its driver filled up several...
in Double Murder:
Gas-Filled Yoga Ball
Aug 23, 2018 7:51 AM CDT
Alleged Weapon in Double Murder: Gas-Filled Yoga Ball
Hong Kong professor accused of killing wife and daughter via carbon monoxide leak
- He told co-workers he was going to kill rabbits, and he told police that he only meant to get rid of rats—but prosecutors say a Hong Kong professor used a rather odd weapon to instead murder his wife and teen daughter. That alleged weapon: a yoga ball filled with...
Oregonians Can Now Pump
Own Gas, Do Not Like It
Jan 4, 2018 3:00 AM CST
Oregonians Can Now Pump Own Gas, Do Not Like It
'This is a service only qualified people should perform'
- Change can be a scary thing—but the rest of America isn't overflowing with sympathy for Oregonians freaking out about the fact that they're now allowed to pump their own gas. The state partially lifted its ban on self-service gas on Jan. 1, allowing people in rural counties...
Why This Scene May Cease
to Exist in California After 2040
Sep 29, 2017 1:14 PM CDT
Why This Scene May Cease to Exist in California After 2040
Assemblyman wants to ban sales of cars fueled by gas, diesel by that deadline
- If Phil Ting has his way, California girls will soon be cruising down Highway One and never having to stop for gas. When the state Legislature returns at the start of 2018, the Dem assemblyman says he'll introduce a bill that would ban the sale of new cars fueled...
Suspect in Gas
Sep 17, 2017 4:15 PM CDT
Suspect in Gas Station Robbery Forgot One Important Item
Sean Harris busted after running out of gas on an Indiana highway
- Authorities say an Indiana man who robbed a gas station made off with food, drinks, and cigarettes. What he didn't steal was gas, the AP notes. The
Northwest Indiana Times
reports that a state trooper arrested 33-year-old Sean Harris on Wednesday after finding him stranded by the side of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
Taylor Swift Hits a 10-Figure Milestone
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.