Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ohio Runner's Ear
Nearly Severed by Deer
Oct 12, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Ohio Runner's Ear Nearly Severed by Deer
Rebecca Heasley was participating in a local race
- An Ohio woman who was running a two-hour "Space Race" on Oct. 1 ended up having a frighteningly out-of-this-world experience. As Rebecca Heasley of Willowick explains, she initially thought she was hit by another runner who got too close to her. Then she saw blood on her hands. A...
His Win Came as
to the Announcer
Jul 20, 2022 1:16 PM CDT
His Win Came as a Shock—Especially to the Announcer
Geoff Wightman called World Athletics Championship as son Jake Wightman won gold
- Elite athletes often have their parents cheering them on in the audience at championship events, but for one UK runner at the World Athletics Championship in Eugene, Ore., his dad's appearance was extra special. In what the
describes as "Britain's most surprising gold medal" in the...
Most Decorated US Runner
Is Making This Her Last Season
Apr 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Most Decorated US Runner Is Making This Her Last Season
It 'isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy,' Allyson Felix says
- Allyson Felix, who closed the Tokyo Games last year with more Olympic medals than any US track and field athlete in history, says she'll retire after the 2022 season. "This season isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy," Felix said in...
Michigan Teen Ran a Dazzling
Race. Then He Shouted
in case you missed it
Nov 14, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Michigan Teen Ran a Dazzling Race. Then He Shouted
Garrett Winter set a personal record then was disqualified for swearing
- Garrett Winter's Saturday occupied two ends of the spectrum: the highest high and the lowest low. The Michigan senior came in second in the 5K at the state finals with a time of 15:27.89, a full 22 seconds shorter than the best such race he had ever...
Oct 15, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
'Prime Suspect' in Olympian's Murder Arrested
Emmanuel Rotich, husband of runner Agnes Tirop, was detained in Mombasa, Kenya
The husband of a Kenyan long-distance runner who competed in the Tokyo Olympics and was found murdered this week has been arrested. The BBC reports that Emmanuel Rotich was detained in Mombasa on Thursday, a day after 25-year-old Agnes Tirop was found dead in her bed, as he was...
I Was So Hungry
I Stole Food
Oct 13, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Runner Sues Coach, Nike: I Was So Hungry I Stole Food
Mary Cain says she was so underfed she stole Clif Bars
- In 2015, Newser summarized a
New York Times Magazine
profile of Mary Cain. Our headline: " This Teen Runner May Be the Best Ever, Someday ." That's not what happened, and now Cain is suing. On Monday, the now-25-year-old filed a $20 million lawsuit against her former distance running...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
After Relay Fail, a Big Name
Dresses Down Men's Team
Aug 5, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
After Relay Fail, a Big Name Dresses Down Men's Team
Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis calls 4x100m race in Tokyo a 'clown show,' 'total embarrassment'
- The US men's relay team was already disappointed they came in sixth in a preliminary 4x100m heat Thursday in Tokyo, losing their chance to take a spot in the finals. Making things worse: a scathing critique from track and field star Carl Lewis, who said online that the team...
Tragic End to Search
for Distance Runner
Jul 21, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Tragic End to Search for Distance Runner
Fred Zalokar found dead in Yosemite National Park
- After decades as an endurance athlete, Fred Zalokar's final journey was in Yosemite National Park. The 61-year-old, who was well known in the world of endurance sports, was found dead Tuesday, two days after he was reported missing, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle.
The Reno resident had planned an...
Before Her First Olympics,
a Positive Test for Pot
Jul 2, 2021 8:57 AM CDT
Before Her First Olympics, a Positive Test for Pot
It's now not clear if 21-year-old sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson will compete in Tokyo Games
- A breakout track star set to head to her first Olympics is now in competition limbo after she tested positive for marijuana. In news first reported by the
in Jamaica, US sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson has had her win at last month's 100-meter race at the US Olympic...
Teen Beat 2 Usain Bolt Records.
Now He's Bound for Olympics
Jun 28, 2021 11:44 AM CDT
Teen Beat 2 Usain Bolt Records. Now He's Bound for Olympics
Meet 17-year-old Erriyon Knighton, who's headed to Tokyo for 200-meter competition
- Over the weekend, Erriyon Knighton became the youngest male to make the US Olympic track and field team in nearly 60 years, and he also now has two big record-busters under his belt to boot. The Athletic reports that on Sunday, the 17-year-old came in third place in the finals...
Runner Who Blamed Burrito
Won't Be in US Olympic Trials
Jun 18, 2021 7:56 AM CDT
Runner Who Blamed Burrito Won't Be in US Olympic Trials
US authorities do U-turn in Shelby Houlihan case
- US authorities, under pressure from world anti-doping authorities, have done a U-turn on allowing runner Shelby Houlihan to compete in Olympic trials starting Friday. USA Track and Field had initially said it would allow the 28-year-old, who blames a burrito for a positive anabolic steroids test, to compete for a...
Jun 15, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
Suspended Shelby Houlihan Blames Steroid on Burrito
Olympic runner is out of the Tokyo Olympics after flunking drug test
- Shelby Houlihan says her mistake wasn't taking a performance-enhancing substance. It was grabbing a burrito from an "authentic Mexican food truck" near her home in Oregon 10 hours before providing a sample for a drug test. The test results came back positive, and the US Olympic runner now...
Is a Big First
Apr 7, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Man's 2.8K-Mile, 14-Month Run Is a Big First
Don Muchow, an Ironman with diabetes, ran from California's Disneyland to Florida's Disney World
- It was an endurance run that was supposed to take just under 100 days. It ended up taking 14 months, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, but Don Muchow's ultramarathon from California to Florida is still a big first. Per WESH , the 59-year-old Texas man is said to be the...
Sep 1, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
Runners Should Stop Focusing on Mileage
Researchers say it presents an incomplete picture in terms of injury risk and training
- GPS devices make it easier than ever for runners to gauge that all-important number: the number of miles clocked. But in a new paper , researchers make the case that tracking mileage by itself presents too misleading of a picture. To better prevent injury and to improve training, runners need to...
Time Too Good
to Be True
Jul 10, 2020 6:58 AM CDT
Runner's 200-Meter Time Too Good to Be True
Sprinter Noah Lyles gets disappointing news
- What the
calls a "farcical ending" to an elite running event must've felt as crushing as it did absurd to the sprinter at the center of it all. On Thursday, 22-year-old Noah Lyles was a contender in the 200-meter race in the Inspiration Games, in which 30...
That 6-Foot Rule May Not
Work for Runners
Apr 16, 2020 4:05 PM CDT
That 6-Foot Rule May Not Work for Runners
Studies suggest respiratory droplets travel much farther
- The 6 feet of separation touted by the CDC might not be enough to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, particularly among runners. A new study described in the
New York Times
suggests air carries respiratory droplets up to 30 feet behind runners and up to 15 feet behind fast...
He Celebrated His 'Win'
Before Finishing. Big Mistake
Jan 2, 2020 8:01 AM CST
He Celebrated His 'Win' Before Finishing. Big Mistake
Kibiwott Kandie sweeps past Jacob Kiplimo in road race after Kiplimo starts celebrating
- A New Year's Eve road race in Brazil offered what Yahoo Sport Australia deems an "electrifying finish"—though the competitor who came in second likely isn't looking at it that way. That's because 19-year-old Olympic runner Jacob Kiplimo pulled what
calls a "...
Reporter After Being Groped
on Live TV: 'You Violated Me'
Dec 9, 2019 7:47 AM CST
Reporter After Being Groped on Live TV: 'You Violated Me'
Man in bridge run smacked Alexandrea Bozarjian's behind as he ran past
- A reporter covering a race this weekend in Georgia got an unexpected, and unwelcome, greeting from one of the runners, and she and race organizers made clear they weren't happy about it. NBC News reports WSAV's Alexandrea Bozarjian was on the Talmadge Bridge in Savannah on Saturday, reporting...
More Nike Athletes Speak
Out on Weight 'Obsession'
Nov 8, 2019 9:10 AM CST
More Nike Athletes Speak Out on Weight 'Obsession'
Amy Yoder Begley says she was told she had 'the biggest butt on the starting line'
- Nike says it had no prior knowledge of elite runner Mary Cain's claims that she developed osteoporosis, broke five bones, missed her period for three years, and began having suicidal thoughts as Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar pushed her to lose weight, per the
. But it says it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.