Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Powerball Has a $754M Winner
Feb 7, 2023 12:00 PM CST
Powerball Has a $754M Winner
Ticket was sold in Seattle suburb
- A single winning ticket for a $754.6 million Powerball jackpot was sold at a department store in a Seattle suburb, Washington state lottery officials said Tuesday. The winning numbers drawn Monday night were 5,11, 22, 23, 69, and the Powerball 7. The winning ticket was bought Sunday at...
He Asks Cousin for a Favor,
She Steals His Lottery Payout
Jan 23, 2023 2:39 PM CST
He Asks Cousin for a Favor, She Steals His Lottery Payout
Amador Argueta of Houston collected more than $500K, told cousin it was worth only $20K
- It's a strange tale of family thievery and the lottery. A 34-year-old Houston woman will go to prison after she admitted trying to dupe her cousin and steal his lottery jackpot, reports Fox News . Back in 2020, an unnamed man in New York's Nassau County won a $1...
Finally, We Have
a Mega Millions Winner
Jan 14, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Finally, We Have a Mega Millions Winner
Winning ticket for estimated $1.35B grand prize was sold in Maine
- Maine scored its first Mega Millions jackpot—and someone beat the ill fortune of Friday the 13th—when a ticket purchased in the state matched the winning numbers for the lottery's estimated $1.35 billion grand prize. The lucky combination of numbers drawn late Friday night were: 30, 43,...
It's Now 23
for Mega Millions
Jan 4, 2023 8:13 AM CST
It's Now 23 Straight Misses for Mega Millions
$785M prize was not claimed on Tuesday
- And the pot keeps growing. The first Mega Millions drawing of 2023 returned no winner, as has been the case for the 22 drawings before it. CNN reports that means the next drawing, on Friday, will be for a jackpot that's estimated at $940 million. Should someone win and...
Woman Wins $175K
at Office Gift Exchange
Dec 19, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Woman Wins $175K at Office Gift Exchange
Kentucky woman's first choice at the white elephant gift exchange was a $25 gift card
- A Kentucky woman was disappointed when somebody "stole" a $25 TJ Maxx gift card from her during a holiday party gift exchange game, but she ended up with a gift worth 7,000 times more. Lori Janes, an office manager at a dental center in Louisville, chose $25 in...
$2.04B Powerball Winner Won't
Pay State Tax on Jackpot
Nov 14, 2022 5:55 PM CST
$2.04B Powerball Winner Won't Pay State Tax on Jackpot
Unlike 36 other states, California doesn't tax lottery winnings
- California is one of the highest-taxed states but whoever won the $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot last week is probably glad they don't live elsewhere. Unlike 36 other states, California doesn't charge state income tax on lottery winnings, which is "like winning a second $123 million jackpot"...
A Single Winning
Powerball Ticket Was Sold
Nov 8, 2022 12:29 PM CST
A Single Winning Powerball Ticket Was Sold
Record $2.04B jackpot goes to someone who picked up a ticket in California
- Someone who bought a Powerball ticket in California has won a record $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot after more than three months without anyone hitting the top prize. California Lottery officials tweeted that the winning ticket was sold at Joe’s Service Center on West Woodbury Road in Altadena, which...
$2.04B by the Time
Numbers Were Drawn
Nov 8, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Powerball Hit $2.04B by the Time Numbers Were Drawn
It's not yet clear if there was a winner
- After an overnight delay, Powerball numbers were drawn Tuesday morning after 9am Eastern time, CNN reports. The already record-high jackpot had reached $2.04 billion by the time the drawing took place. Winning numbers: 10-33-41-47-56, with a Powerball of 10. It's not yet clear if there was a winner.
She Won $100K Lottery,
Hit Even Bigger on Way Home
Nov 6, 2022 1:25 PM CST
She Won $100K Lottery, Hit Even Bigger on Way Home
Delaware woman won another $300K prize same day she claimed first prize
- It's not Powerball money , but it's a pretty remarkable lottery story nonetheless. A 70-year-old Delaware woman won a $100,000 prize from a scratch-off ticket, then won another $300,000 on the way home from claiming that prize, reports CNN . The unidentified woman struck first with an "...
After Powerball Drawing,
You're Still Not a Billionaire
Nov 6, 2022 6:05 AM CST
After Powerball Drawing, You're Still Not a Billionaire
Nobody had a winning ticket, pushing the record jackpot on Monday to $1.9B and counting
- In another universe, you might have played the Powerball Saturday and picked the numbers 28, 45, 53, 56, 69 with a Powerball of 20. However, that bit of luck did not happen for you or anyone else who played the record $1.6 billion lottery, reports Fox Business . For the...
Is Now a Record
Nov 4, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Powerball Jackpot Is Now a Record
Drawing Saturday night will be for $1.6B
- The Powerball jackpot is now a mind-boggling $1.6 billion, which the AP notes is the biggest lottery prize ever. The next drawing is Saturday night. For the record, a lucky winner who opts for the cash payout would get about $782 million. Also for the record, your odds of...
Just Keeps Swelling
Nov 1, 2022 5:19 AM CDT
Powerball Jackpot Just Keeps Swelling
No, you didn't win Monday night; next drawing is Wednesday night
- There were no big treats from the Halloween night Powerball drawing, as none of the tickets sold matched all six numbers, the AP reports. The lack of a winner means the next drawing Wednesday night will be for a massive $1.2 billion jackpot. The winning numbers drawn Monday were:...
How Does a
Oct 31, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
How Does a $1B Powerball Prize Sound?
Because that's the updated estimate for Monday's drawing after no one won on Saturday
- If you thought you'd be hurling virtual daggers at some lucky stranger who won the $825 million Powerball drawing held over the weekend, put them away until at least Tuesday morning. That's because no one won the Saturday jackpot, meaning the kitty for Monday night's drawing has...
Airline Gets Creative in Getting
Travelers to Take Middle Seat
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 29, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Airline Gets Creative in Getting Travelers to Take Middle Seat
Virgin Australia launches $147K lottery, with prizes each week for those who sit in least desirable spots
- Is there ever anyone who actually
the middle seat during a flight? If there is, we haven't met them, but that may soon change thanks to some coaxing on the matter by Virgin Australia. Per a recent social media poll offered by the airline, a paltry 0.6%...
You Might Want to Grab a
Ticket for Saturday's Powerball
Oct 29, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
You Might Want to Grab a Ticket for Saturday's Powerball
Prize is set for $825M, which will be 2nd-largest ever for the game if someone wins
- If you're feeling particularly lucky this weekend, you may want to pick up a Powerball ticket. CNN reports that officials from the Multi-State Lottery Association have bumped up the prize for Saturday night's drawing in Tallahassee, Fla., from a paltry $800 million to $825 million (cash value: $410....
His $30M in Lottery Wins
Came With a Big Catch
Oct 23, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
His $30M in Lottery Wins Came With a Big Catch
'Atlantic' tells the troubled tale of Michigan's Viktor Gjonaj, now broke and in jail
- Talk to Viktor Gjonaj, and he'll swear he cracked the lottery system. Starting in 2017, the Michigan real estate broker began collecting pot after pot from daily drawings in the state lottery—nearly $30 million in all, recounts Jeff Maysh in the
. His "system" is a complicated...
The Odds of This Lottery
Outcome Are Just Insane
Oct 4, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
The Odds of This Lottery Outcome Are Just Insane
433 to share jackpot in Philippines after Saturday's unusual draw
- Individuals who purchased winning tickets for a $4 million lottery jackpot in the Philippines will have to settle for less than $10,000 each following Saturday's controversial draw. A total of 433 people selected the winning combination in the Grand Lotto lottery, which was highly unusual. The six numbers—...
Winners of $1.34B
Mega Millions Jackpot
'Over the Moon'
Sep 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Winners of $1.34B Mega Millions Jackpot 'Over the Moon'
Illinois pair finally steps forward to claim prize, is choosing to stay anonymous
Mystery solved—kind of. Until this week, it wasn't clear if the person(s) who'd won the second-biggest Mega Millions lottery ever, a staggering $1.34 billion jackpot, knew they'd purchased the winning ticket in Illinois, let alone who that was. Now, at least the first half...
Guy's Joke About Lottery
Win Proves a Prescient One
Sep 3, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Guy's Joke About Lottery Win Proves a Prescient One
Charles Smith of Newport News, Va., joked with wife he'd hit it big, then won nearly $230K
- Charles Smith is probably joking about a lot more these days. That's because a wisecrack he made to his wife earlier this summer turned out to be prescient, and he's now nearly $230,000 richer, per WAVY . The man from Newport News, Va., was saying goodbye one day...
Delaware Man Has Unusual
Luck With Maryland Lottery
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Delaware Man Has Unusual Luck With Maryland Lottery
Duane Ketterman, who travels for work, has racked up $50K from 2 separate winnings in 5 weeks
- It was Duane Ketterman's lucky day—and then it was his lucky day again, just five weeks later. CNN reports that the man from Millsboro, Del., won the lottery in neighboring Maryland not once but twice in about a month's time, taking home nearly $50,000 in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.