Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Who Allegedly Sold Gun
to Hostage-Taker Arrested
Jan 27, 2022 8:03 AM CST
Man Who Allegedly Sold Gun to Hostage-Taker Arrested
Feds say Texas felon Henry Williams wasn't allowed to possess weapon
- A Texas man has been arrested in connection with the hostage-taking at a Dallas-area synagogue—but he's not accused of knowing anything about the attack. Henry "Michael" Williams faces a federal gun charge for allegedly selling the pistol British man Malik Faisal Akram used in the attack, the...
UK Arrests 2 in Connection
With Synagogue Standoff
Jan 20, 2022 4:27 AM CST
UK Arrests 2 in Connection With Synagogue Standoff
White House says Akram wasn't on terrorist screening database
- British police say they have arrested two people in connection with Saturday's hostage-taking at a synagogue in Texas. Counter Terrorism Police North West said one man was arrested Thursday in Birmingham, central England, and another in the city of Manchester, the AP reports. They were being held for questioning...
At American Synagogues,
a New Normal Takes Shape
Jan 18, 2022 8:39 AM CST
At American Synagogues, a New Normal Takes Shape
Armed guards, traffic barriers, safety training
- Will there be copycats? That is the "palpable fear" at synagogues around the country after the hostage-taking in Texas over the weekend, an exec with the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York tells the
New York Times
. Mitchell D. Silber adds a jarring observation: “More and more,...
Rabbi Recounts Escape
From Synagogue Gunman
Jan 17, 2022 2:34 PM CST
Rabbi Recounts Escape From Synagogue Gunman
Charlie Cytron-Walker says he threw a chair at hostage-taker
- Rabbi Charlie Cytron-Walker is being praised for his calm handling of the situation at the Texas synagogue where he was taken hostage along with three other people Saturday—and the rabbi credits his training. Cytron-Walker told CBS Monday that he waited until the gunman "wasn't in a position"...
Teens Arrested in UK
in Connection With Texas
Jan 17, 2022 1:28 AM CST
Teens Arrested in UK in Connection With Texas Synagogue Standoff
But their alleged link to hostage situation is not clear
- The man who held four people hostage at a Texas synagogue for 10 hours Saturday has been identified as a 44-year-old British national. Malik Faisal Akram arrived in the US, via New York, on a tourist visa about two weeks before the standoff, the BBC reports. He was fatally shot...
Jan 16, 2022 5:45 AM CST
10-Hour Texas Synagogue Standoff Ends
Hostages freed, captor is dead
- Four hostages are safe and their captor is dead after an hourslong standoff that began when the man took over services at a Texas synagogue where he could be heard ranting on a livestream and demanding the release of a Pakistani neuroscientist who was convicted of trying to kill US...
Police Surround Synagogue
Where Hostages Are Held
Jan 15, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Police Surround Synagogue Where Hostages Are Held
Man was heard ranting on livestream of Texas service
- Authorities said a man took hostages Saturday during services at a Texas synagogue where the suspect could be heard ranting in a livestream and demanding the release of a Pakistani neuroscientist who was convicted of trying to kill US Army officers in Afghanistan. The Colleyville Police Department tweeted Saturday afternoon...
Rabbi Injured in Attack
Is Going to Prison
Jan 6, 2022 8:41 AM CST
Rabbi Injured in Attack Is Going to Prison
Yisroel Goldstein pleaded guilty to scamming the IRS with tax fraud schemes
- "I stand here today, my head bowed in shame, remorse and disappointment over the crimes that I have committed to God and mankind," Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein told a hearing Tuesday, where he was sentenced to 14 months for his crimes against the Internal Revenue Service. The 60-year-old rabbi,...
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry:
'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Nov 16, 2021 11:13 AM CST
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry: 'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Authorities say Franklin Barrett Sechriest, 18, was found with Nazi propaganda
- A Texas teenager set fire to an Austin synagogue before confessing to the act in a journal that included racial slurs, authorities say. Texas State University student Franklin Barrett Sechriest, who resigned as a private in the Texas National Guard earlier this month, was arrested Friday on charges of arson...
Oct 1, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Calif. Synagogue Gunman Hears His Fate
John T. Earnest gets life without parole for killing one person, injuring 3 in 2019 Poway shooting
- Before John T. Earnest was sentenced Thursday for fatally gunning down one person and injuring three others, including a young girl, in a 2019 shooting at a Southern California synagogue, his lawyer asked if he could make a statement. The response of San Diego Superior Court Judge Peter Deddeh in...
Wrong-Way Bicyclist Faces
Hate-Crime Charges in NYC
May 3, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Wrong-Way Bicyclist Faces Hate-Crime Charges in NYC
NYPD makes an arrest in series of attacks on synagogues
- The NYPD says it has caught the man responsible for a series of attacks on local synagogues —and they say he was riding a bike stolen from one of those synagogues when arrested. Officers stopped 29-year-old Jordan Burnette, a resident of the Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx, in the...
In NYC, 'Truly
of Attacks Over
Apr 26, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
In NYC, 'Truly Shocking' Series of Attacks Over the Weekend
Video footage suggests same suspect carried out attacks against 4 Bronx synagogues
- Four New York City synagogues, all in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, were attacked over the weekend, pelted by rocks in what police say may have been hate crimes. NYPD Detective Francis Sammon tells CNN that the six attacks—two each against the Riverdale Jewish Center and Chabad Lubavitch,...
US Church Membership
Hits Record Low
Mar 29, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
US Church Membership Hits Record Low
Gallup says rate has fallen below 50% for the first time
- If you're an American who belongs to a church, synagogue, or mosque, you're now in a minority, according to a new Gallup poll . Gallup says church membership has fallen below 50% to a record low of 47%, largely due to a corresponding increase in the proportion of people...
Secret NYC Wedding Was
Attended by Thousands
Nov 24, 2020 12:09 PM CST
Secret NYC Wedding Was Attended by Thousands
Williamsburg synagogue to be fined $15K
- Some viewers might assume footage of a Hasidic wedding showing thousands of maskless people packed shoulder to shoulder inside a Brooklyn synagogue harkened back to happier times, before the onset of a global pandemic. But they'd be wrong. As the
New York Post
reports, the footage spreading on social...
Shooting Suspect Was Unable
to Get Past Synagogue's Doors
Oct 10, 2019 6:15 AM CDT
Shooting Suspect Was Unable to Get Past Synagogue's Doors
Twitch says livestreamed Germany attack had more than 2K viewers
- An attack that killed two people near a synagogue in eastern Germany Wednesday was livestreamed and watched by more than 2,000 people, streaming site Twitch has confirmed. The site says its "investigation suggests that people were coordinating and sharing the video via other online messaging services," the...
They Were Honoring
Judaism's Holiest Day
When Gunman Arrived
Oct 9, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
They Were Honoring Judaism's Holiest Day When Gunman Arrived
2 killed near synagogue in German city of Halle
- A suspect is in custody, but one or more others are believed to have fled, after a fatal shooting that appeared to target a German synagogue on Judaism's holiest day. Gunmen tried to enter the synagogue in the east-central city of Halle, where 70 to 80 worshipers had gathered...
Scary Post Puts
Aug 18, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Scary Post Puts White Nationalist Behind Bars
James Patrick Reardon was arrested Saturday in Ohio
- Police arrested a 20-year-old white man Saturday over an Instagram post suggesting he was about to shoot up a Jewish community center, CNN reports. James Patrick Reardon was booked in Ohio after weeks of worry over his plans. On July 11, he posted an Instagram video of a man shooting...
He Unnerved a
2016. Now, an
Aug 10, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
He Unnerved a Neighborhood in 2016. Now, an Unnerving Arrest
Feds say Conor Climo plotted to attack Jews, LGBT bar patrons in Las Vegas
- Jews in synagogues and LGBT bar patrons were allegedly a Las Vegas man's targets—and he was working up a plan to attack them, the FBI says. NBC News reports 23-year-old Conor Climo was arrested Thursday and charged with possession of an unregistered firearm, which a Justice Department release...
Gets Face Full of Fire
Jul 7, 2019 3:20 PM CDT
Synagogue Arsonist Gets Face Full of Fire
Tristan Morgan was sentenced in a London courtroom
- An Anti-Semitic extremist who set fire to a British synagogue—and, partly, to himself—has been sentenced to remain in a hospital indefinitely, CNN reports. Tristan Morgan, 52, was seen on CCTV footage setting fire to a synagogue in Exeter, England, last July with a flammable liquid. Video shows his...
Synagogue Suspect's Parents:
He's Now Part of
'History of Evil'
Apr 30, 2019 6:35 AM CDT
Synagogue Suspect's Parents: He's Now Part of 'History of Evil'
FBI got a tip minutes before shooting
- The FBI says it received tips Saturday morning about a potential mass shooting targeting Jews—but it didn't have time to act. A California man identified only as Colin, 25, tells BuzzFeed that he was browsing the 8chan bulletin board, which is notorious for racist content, out of curiosity...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.