Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Puerto Rico Prepares
for Landslides, Flooding
Sep 17, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Puerto Rico Prepares for Landslides, Flooding
Forecasters expect tropical storm to become a hurricane
- Tropical Storm Fiona was expected to become a hurricane as it neared Puerto Rico on Saturday, threatening to dump up to 20 inches of rain as people braced for potential landslides, severe flooding, and power outages. The storm previously battered various eastern Caribbean islands, with one death reported in the...
Henri Makes Landfall
in Rhode Island
Aug 22, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Henri Makes Landfall in Rhode Island
Heavy rain has begun in Northeast, and storm's winds are reaching 70mph
- Now a tropical storm, Henri hit the coast of Rhode Island on Sunday afternoon, with high winds that knocked out power to thousands of homes and rain that has brought flash flooding to the Northeast. Even as a tropical storm, Henri had wind gusts up to 70mph, the AP reports,...
New England Prepares
for Hurricane's Direct Hit
Aug 20, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
New England Prepares for Hurricane's Direct Hit
Henri is a tropical storm now but could gain strength over the weekend
- In a time of rare weather events, New England is preparing for another one: a hurricane. On Friday, the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for much of New England, saying Tropical Storm Henri probably will become a hurricane and hit the Northeast coast over the weekend, NPR reports....
Teams Drill Holes
for Explosives in
Jul 4, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Teams Drill Holes for Explosives in Remaining Structure
Officials worry storm will take bring building down at the wrong place
- Crews were setting up the part of the Florida condo building that's still standing for demolition on Sunday, while others were preparing the site for a tropical storm. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said the Federal Emergency Management Agency recommended the structure be brought down, WPLG reports. Teams were...
Surfside Crews Plan
Demolition for Sunday
Jul 3, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Surfside Crews Plan Demolition for Sunday
Officials want operation to take place before storm hits but have details to work out
- Demolition workers plan to bring down the remainder of a collapsed condo building on Sunday ahead of an approaching storm that added to worries that the damaged structure could come down on its own, officials said Saturday. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava, meanwhile, said two more bodies were found in...
Storm of Season
May 10, 2021 1:45 AM CDT
We Already Have Our First Named Storm of Season
Andres is earliest tropical storm on record to form in eastern Pacific
- Hurricane season doesn't start in the eastern Pacific until Saturday, but the first tropical storm of the season is already here: Andres, which formed hundreds of miles off the west coast of Mexico and had sustained winds of 40mph Sunday. While tropical systems are known to develop before the...
Here's What's Worrying
New Orleans as
Zeta Takes Aim
Oct 28, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Here's What's Worrying New Orleans as Zeta Takes Aim
Gulf Coast steeling itself for 11th hurricane of the season
- Residents of the storm-pummeled Gulf Coast steeled themselves Tuesday for yet another tropical weather strike as Tropical Storm Zeta took aim at southeast Louisiana, fraying the nerves of evacuees from earlier storms and raising concerns in New Orleans about the low-lying city’s antiquated drainage pump system. Zeta, the 27th...
Why 6K People Want to Change
Tropical Storm Laura to 'Polo'
Aug 25, 2020 3:33 AM CDT
Why 6K People Want to Change Tropical Storm Laura to 'Polo'
Then it would be with 'united' with Marco for all time, petition says
- Tropical Storm Marco is already wreaking havoc , and it will soon be joined by Tropical Storm Laura, which is forecast to become a hurricane Tuesday, per the AP . Because of the odd occurrence of two storms battering the same area at essentially the same time, WSBT reports that a Change....
Reporter Stops Reporting
to Save Injured Dog
Sep 16, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
Reporter Stops Reporting to Save Injured Dog
Julie Wilson does more than tell the story
- Who says journalists just watch the world go by? Julie Wilson was reporting for WTVD in New Bern, NC, on Friday when she helped rescue an injured dog, ABC News reports. Wilson saw a woman who identified herself as Tasha trying to save the Rottweiler from two-foot-high water. "It'...
Nate Weakens to
Oct 8, 2017 5:22 PM CDT
Nate Weakens to Tropical Depression
No catastrophic damage reported
- Hurricane Nate brought a burst of flooding and power outages to the US Gulf Coast before weakening rapidly Sunday, sparing the region the kind of catastrophic damage left by a series of hurricanes that hit the southern US and Caribbean in recent weeks. Nate—the first hurricane to make landfall...
Hurricane Could Hit Texas for
First Time Since 2008
Aug 24, 2017 10:42 AM CDT
Hurricane Could Hit Texas for First Time Since 2008
Tropical Storm Harvey could turn into hurricane by Friday
- Tropical Storm Harvey could turn into a hurricane by Friday, the same day it's expected to make landfall in Corpus Christi, Texas. If it does indeed develop into a Category 1 storm, it will be the state's first hurricane since 2008, CNN reports. The National Hurricane Center is...
Oct 29, 2012 7:17 PM CDT
'Superstorm' Sandy Makes Landfall
The hurricane gets bigger and messier, but weaker
- Forecasters say the center of Superstorm Sandy has roared ashore on the New Jersey coast, packing high winds and a life-threatening storm surge. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said the center of the enormous storm made landfall at 8pm near Atlantic City, after it was reclassified from a hurricane...
Debby Changes Track,
Stays Close to Florida
Jun 25, 2012 2:30 AM CDT
Debby Changes Track, Stays Close to Florida
Forecast to hit panhandle on Thursday, disrupting oil production
- Tropical Storm Debby slowly closed in on Florida last night, leaving one person dead in tornadoes spawned by its winds, and one man missing and presumed drowned at an Alabama beach, reports Reuters . The National Hurricane Center reported significant changes for Debby's predicted path. No longer expected to grow...
Oil Workers Flee;
Brewing in Gulf
Jun 23, 2012 3:36 PM CDT
Oil Workers Flee; Tropical Storm Brewing in Gulf
Florida could see storm warnings, localized flooding
- High winds are whipping up a 90%-chance tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico today and causing oil companies to evacuate rig workers, MSNBC reports. If Tropical Storm Debby does form, the northern Gulf Coast may see tropical storm warnings, and localized flooding and heavy rain could strike Mexico, Cuba,...
Tropical Storm Alberto
Forms Off Carolinas
12 DAYS TIL HURRICANE SEASON
May 20, 2012 9:48 AM CDT
Tropical Storm Alberto Forms Off Carolinas
Year's first storm forms before start of hurricane season
- With 12 days left before the official start of hurricane season, Tropical Storm Alberto has formed about 95 miles off the coast of South Carolina, according to the National Hurricane Center. Thus far, Alberto isn't expected to make landfall, but he's got his own tropical storm warning and...
Zookeepers Shoot Bison Trapped in Floodwaters
Sep 9, 2011 7:28 AM CDT
Zookeepers Shoot Bison Trapped in Floodwaters
Remnants of Tropical Storm Lee continue to pound Northeast
- As the floodwaters rose in Pennsylvania’s Hersheypark ZooAmerica, zookeepers made a tough—and controversial—choice: Rather than let two American bison drown while trapped in their pen, zookeepers shot both. Though other zoo animals were evacuated, officials say no one anticipated how quickly the floodwaters would rise, and that...
Nate, Maria Form
Sep 8, 2011 7:39 AM CDT
Tropical Storms Nate, Maria Form
Nate expected to hit Mexico, while Maria churns in Caribbean
- Irene, Katia, and Lee all made not-so-nice headlines, and unfortunately there’s more where they came from: Tropical Storms Nate and Maria are currently taking shape in the Caribbean and Atlantic. Nate, formed in the southern Gulf of Mexico, is expected to drop anywhere from 2 to 8 inches of...
Sep 2, 2011 9:47 AM CDT
Tropical Depression to Drench Gulf Coast
Region could see 20 inches of rain
- A tropical depression heading toward the Gulf Coast could soak the area in as much as 20 inches of rain, prompting concerns about flash floods in Louisiana, whose governor declared a state of emergency yesterday. What could become Tropical Storm Lee prompted warnings from Mississippi to Texas, the AP reports,...
to Pay for
Aug 29, 2011 8:53 AM CDT
FEMA Suspends Joplin Relief to Pay for Irene Relief
And Obama will likely have to ask Congress for additional funding
- How will FEMA pay for Hurricane Irene disaster assistance? By suspending payments related to the Joplin tornado, the
reports. The FEMA disaster relief fund currently has only $900 million in it, less than the preferred $1 billion minimum. President Obama has already signed emergency declarations for the District...
Obama on Irene:
'This Is Not Over'
Aug 28, 2011 4:29 PM CDT
Obama on Irene: 'This Is Not Over'
In statement, president warns that impact will continue
- Despite Tropical Storm Irene's weakened punch, President Obama urged those in its path to stay vigilant and warned that the storm's impact would continue to be felt for some time. "This is not over," Obama said today in a statement from the Rose Garden. "The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.