Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Have a Problem
With Its Shiny
Jul 25, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Twitter May Have a Problem With Its Shiny New Logo
Trademark infringement questions arise over news that Meta, Microsoft also have 'X' registered
- "X" may not mark the spot after all for Elon Musk in his attempted rebrand of Twitter. Although Musk has officially unveiled the 24th letter of the alphabet as his social media site's new name and identity, Insider reports that rival Meta appears to own the trademark for...
A Weird Fight Over Phrase
'Taco Tuesday' Is Over
Jul 18, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
A Weird Fight Over Phrase 'Taco Tuesday' Is Over
Taco John's gives up legal battle against Taco Bell
- It was one of the more unusual trademark fights on the books, revolving around the phrase "Taco Tuesday." The chain Taco John's had it trademarked for decades, and the much larger chain Taco Bell filed a formal challenge to the trademark earlier this year, reports the
Swiss Apple Growers
Not Thrilled With Apple
Jun 21, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
Swiss Apple Growers Not Thrilled With Apple
Farmers group worries it may have to change its century-old logo in trademark battle
- Apple the company has been around since 1976. Apple the fruit, a lot longer—which helps explain how a Swiss farmers organization has been using an apple as its logo for 111 years. But as
explains, perhaps not for much longer. The Fruit Union Suisse is in the...
SCOTUS Agrees to Hear
'Trump Too Small' Case
Jun 5, 2023 2:18 PM CDT
SCOTUS Agrees to Hear 'Trump Too Small' Case
Man tried to register phrase as trademark
- The Supreme Court has agreed to hear an unusual case in which the Biden administration is fighting a man's attempt to trademark a slogan that includes the name Trump. Attorney Steve Elster has been trying for years to trademark "Trump Too Small" for use on T-shirts, Politico reports....
Taco Bell on Trademark War:
'Taco Tuesday' Belongs to All
May 17, 2023 6:21 AM CDT
Taco Bell on Trademark War: 'Taco Tuesday' Belongs to All
Fast-food giant asks Patent and Trademark Office to force smaller chain to give up rights to the term
- Declaring a mission to liberate "Taco Tuesday" for all, Taco Bell is asking US regulators to force Wyoming-based Taco John's to abandon its long-standing claim to the trademark. Too many businesses and others refer to "Taco Tuesday" for Taco John's to be able to have exclusive...
Katy Perry Loses
Katie Perry Trademark Fight
Apr 28, 2023 12:01 PM CDT
Katy Perry Loses Katie Perry Trademark Fight
'This is a tale of two women, two teenage dreams and one name'
- The Australian fashioner designer who created a line of clothing called Katie Perry has prevailed in what she calls a "David and Goliath" trademark case against Katy Perry. Designer Katie Taylor, who was born Katie Perry, created the label in 2007 and registered the trademark in 2008, the year...
Adidas Protests BLM Logo,
Quickly Abandons That
Mar 29, 2023 5:41 AM CDT
Adidas Protests BLM Logo, Quickly Abandons That
Company reverses course fast after claiming 3 yellow stripes too similar to its own
- It took all of 48 hours for Adidas to backtrack on its protest of a Black Lives Matter logo. The company announced Wednesday that it would withdraw its opposition to the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation's trademark application "as soon as possible," Reuters reports. Adidas did...
Has Bad News for Meghan
Mar 8, 2023 8:34 AM CST
Trademark Office Has Bad News for Meghan
Request to trademark 'Archetypes' is denied
- It's a no go: Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, has been denied her request to trademark "Archetypes," the title of her Spotify podcast. Archewell Audio, the podcast production company launched by Meghan and husband Prince Harry, filed the request to trademark the word as it applies to...
Baghdad's 'Starbucks' Points
to Growing Problem in Iraq
Dec 22, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Baghdad's 'Starbucks' Points to Growing Problem in Iraq
Country is a hub for trademark violation, costing companies billions
- Everything from the signboard outside down to the napkins bears the official emblem of the top international coffee chain. But in Baghdad, looks are deceiving: The "Starbucks" in the Iraqi capital is unlicensed. Real Starbucks merchandise is imported from neighboring countries to stock the three cafes in the city,...
Sorry, Mariah, You're Not
the Only 'Queen of Christmas'
Nov 16, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Sorry, Mariah, You're Not the Only 'Queen of Christmas'
Trademark office denies singer's claim for rights to the phrase
- Mariah Carey isn't getting the holiday gift she wanted from the US Patent and Trademark Office. The office on Tuesday denied the singer's request to trademark "Queen of Christmas," after rejecting her applications for "QOC" and "Princess Christmas" earlier this month, per the
Add Up for
Aug 27, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
Snags, Bills Add Up for Truth Social
Partner appears wary of merging with Trump's site
- Truth Social, the social media website launched by former President Donald Trump, is up against a series of unsolved issues that could be serious enough to be giving the company that agreed to merge with it cold feet. The issues include:
in the World Wants
Ownership of His
Aug 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Fastest Man in the World Wants Ownership of His Victory Pose
Retired sprinter Usain Bolt has filed to trademark signature celebration move to use logo on merch
- If you're a famous athlete with the name "Bolt," and you've got a signature victory move that resembles a jagged line of electricity, chances are you're going to make sure you control that likeness. There's only one man this situation currently applies to in...
NBCUniversal Makes a
Michael Scott-Level Snafu
Jul 7, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
NBCUniversal Makes a Michael Scott-Level Snafu
Company files suit against 'trademark squatter' that snatched up Dunder Mifflin name before it could
- NBCUniversal is suing to ensure no one else gets to sell merch branded with
's fictional paper company, Dunder Mifflin. In "a classic Michael Scott-style bungling," the company doesn't actually own the Dunder Mifflin trademark, per AV Club . The company is suing alleged "trademark...
OSU Wins Trademark
Approval for 'THE'
Jun 23, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
OSU Wins Trademark Approval for 'THE'
Trademark only applies to branded clothing sold through 'customary' channels
- While it's still OK to use the word "the" in conversation—and British post-punk band The The probably doesn't have to worry about a lawsuit—Ohio State University has successfully trademarked the most common word in the English language. The US Patent and Trademark Office has approved...
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit
Arguing Branding Confusion
Apr 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit Arguing Branding Confusion
Boy Scouts can avoid gender references by using 'scouting,' ruling says
: The Girl Scouts have lost the legal argument that its brand and recruiting efforts have been damaged by the wording used by Boy Scouts in marketing. Because Boy Scouts are entitled to leave gender out of it by using "scouting" and similar terms, "there are no issues...
Meghan Markle Tries to
Trademark 500-Year-Old Word
Apr 6, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
Meghan Markle Tries to Trademark 500-Year-Old Word
'Archetypes' is the title of her new Spotify podcast, examining female stereotypes
- Meghan Markle is seeking to trademark "archetypes," which in addition to being a 500-year-old word is also the title of her upcoming Spotify-exclusive podcast. The Duchess of Sussex, acting through her Archewell Audio company, filed the application with the US Patent and Trademark Office in March, the same...
Ringo: OK, I'll Let This Sex Toy
Be Called 'Ring O'
Jun 25, 2021 1:38 PM CDT
Ringo: OK, I'll Let This Sex Toy Be Called 'Ring O'
Ex-Beatle ends trademark battle over penis ring with similar-sounding name
- Hear "Ringo Starr," and the first words you may associate with him are "the Beatles," "drummer," maybe "Octopus's Garden" —but probably not "penis rings." The 80-year-old star wanted to keep it that way, which is why he filed a...
Banksy Just Suffered
a 'Devastating' Loss
Sep 17, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Banksy Just Suffered a 'Devastating' Loss
Street artist loses EU trademark fight with greeting card company over his own artwork
- In a desperate move to claim the trademark for one of his most famous works, British street artist Banksy, usually known for floating untethered in anonymity, opened up a shop last fall, hoping to sway European Union judges in his favor. His efforts—deemed a "weakass attempt" by Techdirt...
Apr 24, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Astronomer Sues American Girl Over Doll
Lucianne Walkowicz argues similarities with Luciana Vega aren't coincidental
- An astronomer in Chicago has sued the maker of American Girl dolls, alleging the Wisconsin company stole her likeness and name to create its astronaut doll. The federal trademark lawsuit filed in Madison this week by Lucianne Walkowicz asks American Girl and its parent company, Mattel, to stop selling the...
Apr 10, 2020 3:22 PM CDT
Brady's First Attempt Involves Wordplay
With his new team, quarterback wants to own 'Tompa Bay'
- Tom Brady has lost before at the US Patent and Trademark Office —when he sought sole rights to "Tom Terrific" while with the New England Patriots—but you don't become a star athlete by giving up. Now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the quarterback wants to reserve...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.