Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Year' Just Got Worse
Nov 19, 2021 8:13 AM CST
Tesla's 'Tumultuous Year' Just Got Worse
Automaker ranked almost last for reliability in new Consumer Reports ranking
- Lexus will be pleased with the latest Consumer Reports new-car reliability rankings , but one big name won't be. After surveying owners of more than 300,000 vehicles that were 2020 or 2021 models, the consumer group placed Tesla second to last (ahead of only the Lincoln brand owned by...
a Slippery Change
Sep 16, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Tesla Removes Steering Wheel, a Slippery Change
Consumer Reports' testers struggle with new yoke in Model S
- Drivers might soon feel more than ever that they're sitting in a cockpit instead of a car. The steering device in Tesla's Model S and Model X SUV looks more like an airplane's yoke than a car's usual steering wheel. Drivers keep their hands on something...
Consumer Reports Picks
Toyota-Heavy Top 10 Vehicles
Feb 20, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Consumer Reports Picks Toyota-Heavy Top 10 Vehicles
Porsche is named the best brand overall
- Consumer Reports has driven the best, safest, and coolest new cars on the market, with the latest gadgets and features, so you don't have to. It's also tested them and crunched owner surveys and other data. And the results are in . Toyota dominated the annual top 10, claiming...
Tesla's Model 3 Had
Status. Not Anymore
Feb 22, 2019 6:25 AM CST
Tesla's Model 3 Had 'Recommended' Status. Not Anymore
'Consumer Reports' pulls back coveted designation after customers complained of reliability issues
taketh away—and this time around, it's Tesla who's losing out. New Atlas documents the "love-hate relationship" between the consumer advocacy group and the electric-car maker, with the former either not offering its coveted "recommended" status to Tesla's cars...
10 Most Reliable
Cars of the Year
Oct 20, 2017 4:58 PM CDT
10 Most Reliable Cars of the Year
Toyota tops the Consumer Reports list for 5th year running
- When it comes to the most reliable cars, only one US brand made the top 10—General Motors' Buick—while three other domestic brands, Cadillac, GMC, and Ram, rank in the bottom three spots of the full list of 27. Consumer Reports is out with its annual list for 2017,...
Aug 10, 2017 1:25 PM CDT
Ditches Microsoft Recommendations
Publication pulls the recommendations it previously offered for 4 Surface laptops
- A blow for Microsoft:
says it can't currently recommend any of the company's laptops or tablets. Four Microsoft Surface laptops used to have the publication's "recommended" designation, but those recommendations have now been pulled. The magazine says it made the decision based on an...
Samsung Phone Isn't:
Jul 8, 2016 9:31 AM CDT
'Water-Resistant' Samsung Phone Isn't: Consumer Reports
S7 Active failed immersion test—twice
- Samsung claims its "water-resistant" S7 phones can spend 30 minutes in five feet of water and still be usable. To prove its point, it has Lil Wayne douse an S7 Edge in champagne, then drop it in a fish tank in a commercial . But
Oct 20, 2015 6:50 PM CDT
Yanks Tesla Recommendation
Model S has too many maintenance problems
- The ultra hip Tesla Model S tests great, but it seems it might not hold up in the long run, according to a new report published Tuesday by
. The publication gave the electric vehicle its best performance rating ever —a seemingly mathematically impossible 103 out of 100—...
EPA Allegations Are
Already Costing VW
Sep 19, 2015 4:30 PM CDT
EPA Allegations Are Already Costing VW
Consumer Reports pulls recommendations of Volkswagen vehicles
- "Buying bible"
has yanked its favorable ratings of diesel Jettas and Passats in the wake of the EPA's allegations that Volkswagen installed software in its vehicles to skirt federal emissions laws,
reports. "These recommendations will be suspended until
can re-test these...
Burgers Found At...
Jul 3, 2014 8:18 AM CDT
America's Worst Burgers Found At...
McDonald's, per 'Consumer Reports' subscribers
- Love biting a McDonald's burger? Then you're likely not a
subscriber. Some 32,405 subscribers weighed in on their experiences at 65 fast-food and fast-casual chains, and they handed McDonald's the title of worst-tasting burger (on a scale of 1 to 10, the chain's...
Names Best Vehicles
Feb 25, 2014 6:41 PM CST
Names Best Vehicles
Tesla Model S takes top honors, with Chrysler's Ram 1500 best pickup
is out with its top picks for 2014 vehicles, with Tesla's Model S taking top honors as "best overall." The pricey Tesla is among four new winners this year, with the others in the categories of midsize SUVs, small SUVs, and pickups, notes
Yanks Approval From 3 Toyotas
Oct 28, 2013 2:09 PM CDT
Yanks Approval From 3 Toyotas
Meanwhile, Toyota reports winning sales figures
- It was a good news/bad news kind of day for Toyota. The good news? The Japanese automaker beat GM in sales for the second straight quarter, moving 2.5 million vehicles between July and September, it announced today, according to Bloomberg . The bad news?
yanked its recommendation of...
Gives Tesla Model S
Highest Score Ever
May 9, 2013 1:35 PM CDT
Gives Tesla Model S Highest Score Ever
Pricey plug-in vehicle gets 99 out of 100
- The hype around Tesla's Model S got a big shot in the arm today courtesy of
, which is giving the car a whopping 99 out of 100, tied for the highest score the famously demanding magazine has ever given. In fact,
director Jake Fisher tells Jalopnik...
Nov 27, 2012 7:30 AM CST
Consumer Reports Finds Widespread Pork Threat
Study cites bacteria, antibiotic danger
- Much of the US pork supply is tainted with dangerous bacteria, and the antibiotics given to pigs could be boosting drug-resistant germs, a
study finds. Some 69% of 198 tested pork samples contained bacteria called yersinia enterocolitica, which can cause fever, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Some 3% to...
Best Bagels Are...
in case you missed it
Mar 25, 2012 3:47 PM CDT
And America's Best Bagels Are...
Consumer Reports likes Dunkin' Donuts, Lender's, and CostCo
- You don't have to be in New York to get a good bagel,
finds: Three big brands offer decent alternatives. In a comparison of eight plain and four "everything" bagels, testers found Dunkin' Donuts, Lender's Original, and Costco to be the best options. Each scored...
20 Worst Used Cars
Mar 24, 2012 1:30 PM CDT
20 Worst Used Cars
Compiled by Consumer Reports
- The only thing worse than buying a lemon is buying a used lemon. Here's a list of 2012's worst used cars compiled by
and courtesy of ABC News .
New iPad Runs Hotter
Mar 20, 2012 2:32 PM CDT
Consumer Reports: New iPad Runs Hotter
Thermal imaging pegs it at 116 degrees
- In its few days on the market, the new iPad has been drawing complaints from worried customers that it runs awfully hot. A Dutch site says its tests have shown that it runs 10 degrees hotter than its iPad 2 predecessor. Now
testing has shown that it's...
of Arsenic in Fruit Juices
Nov 30, 2011 6:20 PM CST
Warns of Arsenic in Fruit Juices
It wants FDA to tighten standards
- Apple juice and grape juice have levels of arsenic that could raise kids' risk of cancer, according to an investigation by
. The study of 88 samples of fruit juice bought in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut found that 10% had arsenic levels that exceeded standards set for...
Why It Might
Pay to Skip
Nov 24, 2011 4:01 PM CST
Why It Might Pay to Skip Black Friday
Better deals on high-quality goods come later: Study
- If you’re in the market for cheap stuff—not just inexpensive, but cheap—you’ll find plenty of good deals on Black Friday. But if you want low prices on better-quality electronics, you’re better off waiting, a Consumer Reports study finds. Researchers examined the changing prices of CR-recommended...
says consumer reports
Jul 25, 2011 2:00 PM CDT
Nook Beats Out Kindle
Barnes & Noble e-reader boasts touch screen, lighter weight, two-month battery
- If you’re looking to do some e-reading on the beach this summer,
is advocating something other than the Kindle for the first time: Barnes & Noble’s Simple Touch Nook finally has beat Amazon's offering. Unlike the Kindle, the Nook has a touch screen; it’s...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Parents of Shooting Suspect Are Considered Fugitives
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Aariel Maynor Arrested in Jacqueline Avant Murder
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.