Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inflation Report Is
Better Than Expected
Nov 14, 2023 8:06 AM CST
Inflation Report Is Better Than Expected
It cools off in October to 3.2%
- The new inflation report is out, and it's likely to make the Federal Reserve pretty happy: It cooled down last month in a sign that the Fed's interest rate hikes are having the desired effect, per the AP .
Tuesday's report from the Labor Department showed
At 140%, Inflation Changes
Clothes Shopping in Argentina
Nov 13, 2023 6:10 PM CST
At 140%, Inflation Changes Clothes Shopping in Argentina
Secondhand markets boom: 'We simply can't buy new things'
- With Argentina in its worst economic crisis in decades, shopping for clothes has become more complicated. "You can't just go to the mall and buy something you like as you did before," said Aylen Chiclana, 22, a student in Buenos Aires. "Today prices are unthinkable."...
'It Doesn't Make Sense to Me
to Spend $100 on Candy'
Oct 28, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
'It Doesn't Make Sense to Me to Spend $100 on Candy'
Ahead of Halloween trick-or-treaters, inflation for gum, other sweet treats reaches double digits
- Spooked by the high price of Halloween candy? There's not much relief in sight. For the second year in a row, US shoppers are seeing double-digit inflation in the candy aisle. Candy and gum prices are up an average of 13% this month compared to last October, more than...
Prices Continue to Rise
More Than the Fed Wants
Oct 12, 2023 8:41 AM CDT
Prices Continue to Rise More Than the Fed Wants
But in general, inflation continues its slow downward trend
- The latest inflation report shows that prices are still rising faster than the Federal Reserve would like, though inflation generally remains on a slow and uneven downward trajectory:
Prices in the US increased 0.4% from August to September, down from a faster pace the previous month,
Wholesale Inflation Rose
More Than Expected Last Month
Oct 11, 2023 8:34 AM CDT
Wholesale Inflation Rose More Than Expected Last Month
Producer prices rose at the fastest rate since April
- US wholesale prices rose last month at the fastest pace since April, suggesting that inflationary pressures remain despite a year and a half of higher interest rates, reports the AP . The Labor Department reported Wednesday that its producer price index—which measures inflation before it hits consumers by looking at...
Gas Prices Drive
Latest Inflation Increase
Sep 13, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
Gas Prices Drive Latest Inflation Increase
Labor Dept.'s new report is a mixed bag, with signs of continued cooling in consumer prices
- A spike in gas prices pushed up inflation in August, yet most other costs rose at a more modest pace, evidence that consumer price increases overall are still cooling. In a set of conflicting data on Wednesday, the Labor Department said the consumer price index rose 3.7% in August...
Yellen: Signs Point
Away From Recession
Sep 11, 2023 4:49 PM CDT
Yellen: Signs Point Away From Recession
Treasury secretary expresses confidence about economy
- Polls show Americans are feeling a bit better about the US economy lately, per the
Wall Street Journal
, and that includes Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen. Asked if the nation will be able to head off a recession while keeping inflation under control, she told Bloomberg , "I think you'd...
Yearlong Streak of Inflation
Decline Has Come to an End
Aug 10, 2023 8:13 AM CDT
Yearlong Streak of Inflation Decline Has Come to an End
Inflation in US ticked up by 0.2% from June, with consumer prices up 3.2% from a year earlier
- Inflation in the United States rose in July after 12 straight months of declines, boosted by costlier housing. But excluding volatile food and energy prices, so-called core inflation rose just 0.2% from June, matching the smallest monthly increase in nearly two years, per the AP . The inflation figure the...
Fed Hikes Interest Rates
to a 22-Year High
Jul 26, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Fed Hikes Interest Rates to a 22-Year High
Quarter-point increase is 11th in 17 months
- The expectation was that the Federal Reserve would lift its key interest rate for the 11th time in 17 months, and that's exactly what came to pass on Wednesday. The quarter-point hike brings the the Fed's short-term rate to roughly 5.3%, the highest level since 2001. As...
Finally, the Curves Flip
on Paychecks, Inflation
Jul 17, 2023 7:28 AM CDT
Finally, the Curves Flip on Paychecks, Inflation
After 2 years, wages hikes are finally rising faster than inflation
- Generally speaking, Americans have been getting pay raises over the last two years—it just hasn't felt like it because prices were rising even more. Finally, however, wage increases have begun to outpace inflation, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Average hourly wages, after being adjusted for inflation, rose 1....
June's Inflation Number
Is a Welcome One
Jul 12, 2023 8:55 AM CDT
June's Inflation Number Is a Welcome One
At 3%, it's lowest since March 2021
- After two years of painfully high prices, inflation in the United States has reached its lowest point since March 2021—3% in June compared with 12 months earlier—a sign that the Federal Reserve's interest rate hikes have steadily slowed price increases across the economy, reports the AP . The...
Strong Jobs Numbers
Put Dow in a Sour Mood
Jul 6, 2023 10:01 AM CDT
Strong Jobs Numbers Put Dow in a Sour Mood
Job openings fall below 10M, but they remain historically high
- US job openings slipped in May but remained at levels high enough to illustrate that the American labor market remains resilient in the face of sharply higher interest rates. Employers posted 9.8 million job vacancies, down from 10.3 million in April, the Labor Department said Thursday. But layoffs...
Swedish Economist Blames
Inflation on Beyonce
Jun 14, 2023 7:45 PM CDT
Swedish Economist Blames Inflation on Beyonce
Stockholm concerts created a small but noticeable uptick, he says
- The start of Beyonce's world tour was an event so big in Sweden that it produced a bump in the inflation rate, according to Danske Bank's chief economist in the country. Michael Grahn says the star's two concerts in Stockholm last month added around 0.2 percentage...
Inflation Has Cooled. So Has
This Social Security Estimate
Jun 14, 2023 6:21 AM CDT
Inflation Has Cooled. So Has This Social Security Estimate
Recipients may see 2024 cost-of-living adjustment of just 2.7%, down from this year's 8.7%
- This year's Social Security cost-of-living adjustment, or COLA, was the highest in four decades, coming in at 8.7% to account for record inflation. Beneficiaries shouldn't expect quite such a boost for 2024. According to new government data, the annual inflation rate fell in May to its lowest...
New Inflation Numbers Likely
to Ward Off Rate Hike
Jun 13, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
New Inflation Numbers Likely to Ward Off Rate Hike
Prices continue to cool as Fed meets to assess policy
- Consumer prices in the United States cooled last month, rising just 0.1% from April to May and extending the past year's steady easing of inflation. Still, inflation remains well above normal levels, and some measures of underlying price pressures remained high.
Measured year over year, inflation
10 US Cities Where Inflation
Is Rising the Most
May 11, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
10 US Cities Where Inflation Is Rising the Most
Sorry, Miami residents
- Inflation isn't rising as fast as it was a year ago nationwide, but it remains near a historically high rate of 5%. Some areas of the country are feeling it more than others, and WalletHub crunched data related to the Consumer Price Index to determine the cities where inflation...
Wall Street Likes Latest
News on Consumer Prices
May 10, 2023 8:58 AM CDT
Wall Street Likes Latest News on Consumer Prices
4.9% inflation was a tad less than expected
- Consumer prices in the United States rose again in April, and measures of underlying inflation stayed high, suggesting that rising costs could persist for months to come—but the annual increase came in a hair under what was expected, cheering investors. The major points:
Prices rose 0.4% from March
Inflation Comes in
Lower Than Expected
Apr 12, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
Inflation Comes in Lower Than Expected
Year-over-year rate in March was 5% after small bump in March
- US consumer inflation eased in March, with less expensive gas and lower food prices providing some relief to households that have struggled under the weight of surging prices for nearly two years, per the AP .
Smaller than expected:
The government said Wednesday that consumer prices rose just 0.1% from
Surprise OPEC Move May
Complicate Fed's Strategy
Apr 3, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
Surprise OPEC Move May Complicate Fed's Strategy
Decision to limit output expected to raise gas prices, along with fears about inflation
- Oil prices soared nearly 6% on Monday after Saudi Arabia and other major oil producers said they will cut production by 1.15 million barrels per day from May until the end of the year, per the AP . The move by members of the so-called OPEC+ group of oil exporting...
Amid Yearlong Price Pressures,
an 'Encouraging Sign'
Mar 31, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
Amid Yearlong Price Pressures, an 'Encouraging Sign'
Federal Reserve's favored inflation gauge slowed sharply last month
- The Federal Reserve's favored inflation gauge slowed sharply last month, an encouraging sign in the Fed's yearlong effort to cool price pressures through steadily higher interest rates. Friday's report from the Commerce Department showed that consumer prices rose 0.3% from January to February, down from a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.