Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inflation Is a Big Worry
for Black Friday Shoppers
Nov 25, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Inflation Is a Big Worry for Black Friday Shoppers
People are more reluctant to spend big this year
- Black Friday marks a return to familiar holiday shopping patterns, but inflation is weighing on consumers. Elevated prices for food, rent, gasoline, and other household costs have taken a toll on shoppers. As a result, many are reluctant to spend unless there is a big sale and are being more...
New Inflation Numbers
Are Good News
Nov 15, 2022 7:53 AM CST
New Inflation Numbers Are Good News
Wholesale prices rose less than expected, and Dow futures jump as a result
- Another new economic report adds to the notion that inflation is easing—and markets appear to be pretty happy about it. The government said Tuesday that the producer price index, seen as a measure of wholesale inflation, rose 0.2% in October from September, less than the expected mark of...
Inflation Is Rising
Fastest in This US City
Nov 10, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Inflation Is Rising Fastest in This US City
Sorry, residents of Phoenix
- The nation's latest inflation report may have delivered better news than expected, but prices remain stubbornly high across the nation. And, of course, some places are worse than others. WalletHub has crunched Consumer Price Index data to determine the metropolitan areas in the US where inflation is rising the...
Stock Market Soars
on Inflation Data
Nov 10, 2022 3:18 PM CST
Stock Market Soars on Inflation Data
S&P rises 5% for its best day since 2020
- Stocks had their best day in years Thursday after a report showed inflation in the US slowed last month by more than expected:
The benchmark S&P 500 surged 207 points, or 5.5%, to 3,956.
The Dow rose 1,201 points, or 3.7%, to 33,715.
October Inflation Report
Pushes Dow Futures Way Up
Nov 10, 2022 8:03 AM CST
October Inflation Report Pushes Dow Futures Way Up
Consumer inflation hit 7.7% from a year ago, the smallest gain since January
- Price increases moderated in the United States last month in the latest sign that the inflation pressures that have gripped the nation might be easing as the economy slows and consumers grow more cautious. Consumer inflation reached 7.7% in October from a year earlier and 0.4% from September,...
1.3 Million Diabetic Americans
Forced to Ration Insulin
Nov 7, 2022 4:52 PM CST
1.3 Million Diabetic Americans Forced to Ration Insulin
It can have serious if not deadly consequences
- Nearly 30 million Americans have been diagnosed with diabetes, and over 7 million of them rely on a daily dose of insulin, including almost 1.9 million living with Type 1. For them, access to insulin is a matter of life and death, but as the
reports, a recent...
'Take What You Get' on
Turkeys This Thanksgiving
Oct 21, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
'Take What You Get' on Turkeys This Thanksgiving
Inflation, supply chain issues, avian flu are pushing bird prices up, with no relief in sight
- Just a few weeks ago, economists with the American Farm Bureau Federation warned that Americans should brace themselves for higher turkey prices this year heading into the holidays, blaming inflation and an outbreak of avian flu. Now, more recent numbers are in, and that dour outlook for the Thanksgiving dinner...
IRS Announces Record
Boost for 401(k) Infusions
Oct 21, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
IRS Announces Record Boost for 401(k) Infusions
For 2023, you can deposit $22,500 to qualified retirement plans—up to $30K for those 50 and over
- Good news for those who want to pump more money into their retirement savings: The IRS just raised the contribution limit on 401(k) plans for 2023, as well as for similar tax-deferred plans for public education workers, federal and state employees, and those who work for tax-exempt groups. That new...
Tax Rates Announced
Oct 19, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
Inflation-Adjusted Tax Rates Announced
Some could see lower tax rates in 2023
- The Internal Revenue Service on Tuesday announced the adjustments that will be in effect for 2023 tax rates in response to soaring inflation, meaning some taxpayers could see a lower tax bill. As the
New York Times
reports, typically when tax rates are adjusted for inflation, the adjustments are "...
Macron Rivals, Nobel Laureate
March Against Inflation
Oct 16, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Macron Rivals, Nobel Laureate March Against Inflation
Demonstrators increase pressure on government
- Thousands of protesters, including France's newly crowned Nobel literature laureate, piled into the streets of Paris on Sunday, in a show of anger against the bite of rising prices and pressure on the government of President Emmanuel Macron. The march for wage increases and other demands was organized by...
Social Security's COLA Increase
Is the Biggest in 40 Years
Oct 13, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Social Security's COLA Increase Is the Biggest in 40 Years
It's 8.7% for 2023, but some say that's not enough to keep up with seniors' reality
- The Social Security Administration just announced the biggest cost of living adjustment in four decades in response to record high inflation. The annual inflation adjustment for 2023 is 8.7%, compared to 5.9% for 2022, meaning the country's 70 million Social Security beneficiaries will see a monthly increase...
Annual 'Core' Inflation Sees
Biggest Jump in 40 Years
Oct 13, 2022 8:13 AM CDT
Annual 'Core' Inflation Sees Biggest Jump in 40 Years
6.6% over the past 12 months
- Inflation in the United States accelerated in September, with the cost of housing and other necessities intensifying pressure on households, wiping out pay gains that many have received, and ensuring that the Federal Reserve will keep raising interest rates aggressively. Consumer prices rose 8.2% in September, compared with a...
Inflation Affects Walmart,
Target Holiday Strategies
Sep 22, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Inflation Affects Walmart, Target Holiday Strategies
With prices going up, retailers expect shopping to start earlier
- This fall, it won't just
like the holiday shopping season is starting early. Walmart and Target on Thursday announced an earlier-than-normal launch as part of their holiday sales strategy. As CNN puts it, "Halloween is still a month away, but Walmart is ready for Christmas." Anticipating...
Social Security Checks Will
Likely Get a Very Big Bump
Sep 14, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Social Security Checks Will Likely Get a Very Big Bump
Senior Citizens League now forecasts 8.7% cost-of-living adjustment
When we last read the tea leaves in May, it was looking like seniors could be looking at an 8.6% adjustment to their monthly Social Security checks in 2023. The cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) happens in October, and with just one month to go, the predicted increase has ticked...
New Inflation Report
Is an Unhappy Surprise
Sep 13, 2022 7:48 AM CDT
New Inflation Report Is an Unhappy Surprise
Consumer prices rise 0.1% in August, had been expected to decline
- Investors were fully expecting good news from the new monthly inflation report out Tuesday. But instead of declining, prices actually
in August. Which means the Federal Reserve is all but certain to forge ahead with an aggressive rate hike at its Sept. 20-21 meeting. Details:
Cost to Raise a Child
Now Tops $300K
Aug 22, 2022 4:43 PM CDT
Cost to Raise a Child Now Tops $300K
Inflation has made parenting a greater financial burden, researcher says
- Inflation's damage is being felt not just one loaf of bread or gallon of gas at a time, but in big-picture expenses—such as the cost of raising a child. A new Brookings Institution estimate puts the total for raising a child through age 17 at $310,605. The...
Lowe's Makes Big Move
to Help Workers With Inflation
Aug 18, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Lowe's Makes Big Move to Help Workers With Inflation
It's awarding $55M in bonuses for hourly employees
- To help its hourly front-line workers amid historic inflation, Lowe's said on an earnings call Wednesday that it will be awarding $55 million in bonuses for them and offering limited-time employee discounts of as much as 20% on household and cleaning essentials, NBC News reports. "We will continue...
Wall Street Roars
After Inflation Cools
More Than Expected
Aug 10, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Wall Street Roars After Inflation Cools More Than Expected
Major indexes hit 3-month highs
- Stocks closed at three-month highs on Wall Street Wednesday as investors cheered a report showing inflation cooled more than expected in July. The S&P 500 jumped 2.1% to 4,210.24 Wednesday on expectations that slower inflation will mean the Federal Reserve won’t hike interest rates as...
Inflation Takes a Breather
Aug 10, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Finally, Skyrocketing Inflation Takes a Breather
Latest report shows it slipped from its 40-year peak, but it remains a high 8.5%
- Falling gas prices gave Americans a slight break from the pain of high inflation last month, though the surge in overall prices slowed only modestly from the four-decade high it reached in June, reports the AP . Consumer prices jumped 8.5% in July compared with a year earlier, the government...
Falls Off as Prices Rise
Aug 7, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Grocery Delivery Falls Off as Prices Rise
Inflation, premium charges drive consumers back to stores
- Karen Raschke, a retired attorney in New York, started having groceries delivered early in the pandemic. Each delivery cost $30 in fees and tips, but it was worth that to avoid the store. Then this spring, Raschke learned her rent was increasing by $617 per month. Delivery was one of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.