Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Texas System Set to Overtake
Harvard as Nation's Richest
Aug 24, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
Texas System Set to Overtake Harvard as Nation's Richest
University of Texas system manages millions of acres of oil-rich land
- In the late 1800s, theTexas government donated millions of acres of land considered almost entirely worthless to fund the higher education system, believing grazing rights would bring in a little money. But oil was discovered on the west Texas land in 1923, and the following 99 years made the University...
Harvard Gives Artifact
Back to Chief's Tribe
Jun 23, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Harvard Gives Artifact Back to Chief's Tribe
Campus museum had held Standing Bear's tomahawk since 1982
: A tomahawk that once belonged to Chief Standing Bear is back with his tribe. A museum at Harvard University turned over the artifact to members of the Nebraska and Oklahoma Ponca tribes in a ceremony on June 3, the AP reports. The tomahawk had been in Harvard's possession...
Harvard Should Have
No Native American
Remains. It Has 7K
Jun 3, 2022 7:40 AM CDT
Harvard Should Have No Native American Remains. It Has 7K
Leaked report says it has only repatriated 3K of the 10K it had over the last 32 years
- Harvard University holds human remains belonging to 7,000 Native Americans though a 1990 federal law bars that very thing, according to a draft report from a school committee commissioned to look into the issue last year. The unfinalized report from the Steering Committee on Human Remains in Harvard Museum...
Harvard: We Benefited From
'Profoundly Immoral Practices'
Apr 26, 2022 1:44 PM CDT
Harvard: We Benefited From 'Profoundly Immoral Practices'
University releases 130-page report on its connections with slavery
- Harvard University set out to uncover and record "every discoverable connection between Harvard and slavery," reports the
. The result—the product of three years of work by faculty and student researchers—is a 130-page report that makes clear that the connections were there, and persisted for...
to 'Shut Up' About
Feb 10, 2022 7:35 PM CST
Lawyer: Harvard Wants Students to 'Shut Up' About Harassment
3 students sue, alleging university ignored complaints about professor John Comaroff
- Harvard for years ignored sexual harassment complaints against a renowned professor who threatened to derail the careers of those who reported him, according to a new lawsuit. The suit, brought by three graduate students, claims officials failed to remove John Comaroff, a professor of anthropology and African and African American...
Supreme Court to Hear
Pivotal College Race Case
Jan 24, 2022 8:55 AM CST
Supreme Court to Hear Pivotal College Race Case
Harvard and UNC accused of discriminating against Asian-American applicants
- The conservative-dominated Supreme Court on Monday agreed to hear a challenge to the consideration of race in college admissions, adding another blockbuster case to a term with abortion, guns, religion, and COVID-19 already on the agenda. The court said it will take up lawsuits claiming that Harvard, a private institution,...
Victim of Harvard Jobs Scam:
'How Could I Be So Stupid?'
Dec 25, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Victim of Harvard Jobs Scam: 'How Could I Be So Stupid?'
'NYT' digs in to the fraudsters who targeted Nidhi Razdan, others
- "How could I be so stupid?" It's the question that repeats in Nidhi Razdan's brain. She's the former NDTV news anchor who in January revealed she had been the victim of a sophisticated scam: one in which she quit her high-profile job to take a position...
Harvard Prof Who Concealed
China Ties Could Get 26 Years
Dec 22, 2021 8:13 AM CST
Harvard Prof Who Concealed China Ties Could Get 26 Years
Charles Lieber convicted of 6 counts, including failure to disclose a Chinese bank account
- A Harvard professor was convicted Tuesday of lying about his involvement in a Chinese recruitment program as part of the Justice Department's controversial effort to crackdown on Chinese influence in US research. Jurors convicted nanoscientist Charles Lieber, a former chair of Harvard's chemistry department, of two counts of...
4 More Years
Dec 17, 2021 1:24 PM CST
Harvard Extends Big Pandemic Change for 4 More Years
Candidates won't be required to send in their SAT, ACT scores until at least 2026
- It was a change brought about by the pandemic, and one that Harvard University now plans on continuing for at least four more years—and maybe even for good. The
New York Times
reports the Ivy League school has decided to go the test-optional route, not requiring SAT and ACT...
This Is the Best
College in America
Oct 18, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
This Is the Best College in America
MIT is No. 1, at least according to WalletHub
- Deciding where to go to college can be a stressful time for high schoolers. For those who are determined to attend the best of the best, WalletHub tries to ease the burden by sifting through all the pros and cons of more than 1,000 higher-ed institutions. The site looked...
Is an Atheist
Aug 27, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Harvard's New Chief Chaplain Is an Atheist
Greg Epstein is author of 'Good Without God'
- In best-selling book
Good Without God
, Greg Epstein argues that belief in a higher being is not a mandatory requirement for leading a good, moral life. It's also not a requirement for becoming chief chaplain at Harvard. Epstein, the university's humanist chaplain since 2005, has been unanimously elected...
Harvard Admissions Essay of
Teen Who Lost Mom Goes Viral
May 11, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Harvard Admissions Essay of Teen Who Lost Mom Goes Viral
Abigail Mack explains why she hates the letter S
- Getting into Harvard is an impressive achievement by anyone's measure. But for one Massachusetts teen, her admittance involves a most emotional backstory and a TikTok video series that has since gone viral. Per Upworthy , 18-year-old Abigail Mack lost her mother to cancer, and she took to the social media...
Descendant of Slaves Loses
Photo Fight With Harvard
Mar 5, 2021 8:12 AM CST
Descendant of Slaves Loses Photo Fight With Harvard
Mass. judge rules university is rightful owner of photos of slaves taken for racist project
- Photos of an enslaved father and daughter taken for a racist project at Harvard belong to the school, not the slaves' direct descendant, a Massachusetts judge has ruled. Tamara Lanier, who grew up hearing about great-great-great grandfather Renty, only learned about the 1850 daguerreotypes of himself and daughter Delia in...
a New Owner
Feb 19, 2021 4:38 PM CST
JFK's Harvard Sweater Has a New Owner
Presidential items auctioned ran from Washington to Biden
- John F. Kennedy's Harvard University sweater, given away to a television cameraman who mentioned that he was chilly while interviewing Jacqueline Kennedy, has sold at auction for more than $85,000. The crimson wool cardigan, featuring a large, black, block-letter "H" and eight white mother-of-pearl buttons, was one...
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job.
Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2021 3:35 PM CST
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job. Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
Nidhi Razdan of NDTV says she fell victim to a 'sophisticated and coordinated phishing attack'
- Nidhi Razdan spent 21 years as the lead anchor of India's NDTV, which one might think would give her the chops to take on a position as an associate professor of journalism at Harvard. In fact, in June she said she was giving up her job to do that...
And Now, a New College
Nov 17, 2020 12:10 AM CST
And Now, a New College Admissions Scandal
Ex-Harvard coach, father charged in $1.5M scam
- The former fencing coach at Harvard and a wealthy Maryland businessman were arrested Monday on accusations that the coach took $1.5 million in bribes in exchange for helping the businessman get his two sons into the Ivy League school as recruited fencers, the AP reports. Peter Brand, 67, who...
10 Best Colleges in the US
Sep 18, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
10 Best Colleges in the US
Harvard is best overall; University of Michigan tops among public schools
- It's an unusual year for colleges, but a new ranking by the
Wall Street Journal
/Times Higher Education has a familiar theme: Ivy League schools dominate, thanks largely to their deep pockets. The rankings take into account a number of factors, including graduates' salaries and debt, how much the...
Harvard, MIT Sue Over ICE
Order on Foreign Students
Jul 8, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Harvard, MIT Sue Over ICE Order on Foreign Students
'Its cruelty surpassed only by its recklessness': Harvard president on order to send students home
- Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are suing the Trump administration over its plan to force international students to leave the US or transfer to another college if their schools offer online-only classes this fall. "The order came down without notice—its cruelty surpassed only by its...
Harvard Students Will Pay
$49,653 for Remote Learning
Jul 6, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Harvard Students Will Pay $49,653 for Remote Learning
40% of undergrads can live on campus this fall
- Harvard says that because of the pandemic, students this year will experience "a fall like no other"—although one familiar thing will be the tuition fees. The university says all classes will be conducted remotely, but tuition will not be discounted from $49,653, CNBC reports. The university...
Mind on That $8.7M
Apr 23, 2020 12:24 AM CDT
Harvard Changes Mind on That $8.7M
University reverses course on federal aid after criticism from Trump and others
- President Trump is getting his wish . Harvard University said Wednesday it would not accept $8.7 million in federal aid from the $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief package. Stanford, Princeton, and Yale also announced they would not take the millions set aside for them, as scrutiny of the wealthy universities'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.