Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Women's Soccer Team
Finally Gets Its Equal Pay
May 18, 2022 7:40 AM CDT
US Women's Soccer Team Finally Gets Its Equal Pay
US Soccer Federation is first in the sport to promise both sexes matching money
- The US Soccer Federation reached milestone agreements to pay its men's and women's teams equally, making the American national governing body the first in the sport to promise both sexes matching money. The federation announced separate collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) that run through December 2028 with the unions...
US Women's Soccer
Just Scored a Gooooaaaal
Feb 22, 2022 8:17 AM CST
US Women's Soccer Just Scored a Gooooaaaal
$24M settlement reached in legal battle for equal pay with US Soccer Federation
- US women soccer players reached a landmark agreement with the sport's American governing body to end a six-year legal battle over equal pay, a deal in which they are promised $24 million plus bonuses that match those of the men, per the AP . The US Soccer Federation and the...
US Men's Soccer
Misses Olympics for
'Embarrassing' 3rd Time
Mar 29, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
US Men's Soccer Misses Olympics for 'Embarrassing' 3rd Time
That's the longest period without playing in the games in half a century
- For the third time in a row, US men's soccer missed qualifying for the Olympics. That's the program's longest period of time being kept from the Games in more than half a century, NBC Sports reports, and the first time it has missed three consecutive Games since...
Trump: 'Won't Be
Watching' Anthem Protests
Jun 14, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Trump: 'Won't Be Watching' Anthem Protests
President not a fan of US Soccer, NFL moves to allow player protests
- US Soccer may have reversed its stance on allowing players to kneel during the national anthem, but one high-profile viewer won't be around to watch it happen. "I won't be watching much anymore!" tweeted President Trump on Saturday in response to the move, per
US Soccer Drops Rule
Jun 10, 2020 7:20 PM CDT
US Soccer Drops Rule Against Kneeling
Megan Rapinoe had followed the NFL's Colin Kaepernick in protest
- US Soccer's board of directors has voted to repeal a policy that required national team players to stand during the national anthem, a rule adopted after Megan Rapinoe kneeled in support of Colin Kaepernick. The board made the decision during a conference call, US Soccer announced Wednesday. Policy 604-1...
Mar 17, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
US Soccer Tries Again on 'Offensive' Court Brief
Federation resubmits filing on women after deleting widely denounced language
- Earlier this month, the US Soccer Federation submitted a court filing about the US women's team that was seen as so outrageous it caused the federation's president to apologize and later resign . Among other things, the brief in the ongoing dispute over pay equity declared that male players...
US Soccer Chief Resigns Over
Insult to Women in Lawsuit
Mar 13, 2020 7:24 AM CDT
US Soccer Chief Resigns Over Insult to Women in Lawsuit
Move ushers in the federation's first female president
- The US Soccer Federation's president of 13 years has resigned following an uproar over claims made in legal filings related to a gender discrimination suit. The federation's claims: that players on the women's national team have less responsibility and physical ability than their male counterparts. Carlos Cordeiro,...
Women Soccer Players' Rep
Blasts 'Caveman' Remarks
Mar 12, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Women Soccer Players' Rep Blasts 'Caveman' Remarks
USSF chief apologizes after saying women have lesser responsibilities, physical abilities than guys
- The US Soccer Federation apologized Wednesday after contending in court documents that women on its national team had lesser responsibilities and physical abilities than male counterparts, an assertion that drew widespread criticism and sparked a player protest, per the AP . "On behalf of US Soccer, I sincerely apologize for...
Women's Soccer Players
Name Their Price in Suit
Feb 21, 2020 9:42 AM CST
Women's Soccer Players Name Their Price in Suit
They want $66M in damages from US Soccer Federation over unequal pay
- Players on the US women's national team are seeking more than $66 million in damages as part of their gender discrimination lawsuit against the US Soccer Federation, per the AP . The damages were included in slew of papers filed Thursday in US District Court in Los Angeles ahead of...
US Soccer: Women's Team
Is Paid More Than Men's
Jul 30, 2019 5:33 AM CDT
US Soccer: Women's Team Is Paid More Than Men's
'Utterly false,' counters rep for female players
- US Soccer claims it has paid more to players on the World Cup-winning women's national team than their male counterparts over the past decade. With weeks to go before mediation in the federal gender discrimination lawsuit, US Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro released a fact sheet Monday showing the women'...
US Soccer Star Calls Out
'Homophobic' Fellow Player
Jul 16, 2019 1:29 AM CDT
US Soccer Star Calls Out 'Homophobic' Fellow Player
'Your religion was never the problem,' Ashlyn Harris tells Jaelene Hinkle
- Jaelene Hinkle missed out on World Cup glory after dropping out of the US women's team—a decision the left back later admitted was because she didn't want to wear a jersey designed to honor the LGBT community. Goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris slammed Hinkle as homophobic and intolerant Monday...
Bill Addresses 'Unacceptable'
Gender Pay Gap in US Soccer
Jul 10, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Bill Addresses 'Unacceptable' Gender Pay Gap in US Soccer
'They are the best in the world and deserve to be paid accordingly'
- The US women's soccer team has now won four World Cups—four more than the men's team—and a Democratic senator is among those saying the women deserve to be paid at least as much as the men. Sen. Joe Manchin introduced a bill Tuesday that would withhold...
1st Major American Sports Org
Bans Kneeling During Anthem
Mar 4, 2017 4:59 PM CST
1st Major American Sports Org Bans Kneeling During Anthem
US Soccer says national team players must 'stand respectfully'
- US Soccer is, by all appearances, the first major American sports organization to ban kneeling during the national anthem, Deadspin reports. US Soccer first addressed the issue last September after Megan Rapinoe took a knee in protest during the national anthem prior to a match. Rapinoe said she was kneeling...
Could This Be
Our First US
Nov 11, 2016 1:25 PM CST
Could This Be Our First US Soccer Superstar?
Christian Pulisic is only 18 and already a phenomenon
- Sweeter than his hometown of Hershey, Pa., is the potential represented by 18-year-old Christian Pulisic for American soccer fans: the chance for the US to claim its first bona fide soccer superstar. The Ringer profiles Pulisic, who takes to the pitch for both US Soccer and Germany's Borussia Dortmund...
US Soccer Star Kneels Before
National Team Game
Sep 16, 2016 1:27 AM CDT
US Soccer Star Kneels Before National Team Game
US Soccer says it expects players to stand
- Megan Rapinoe knelt during the national anthem before a US women's national team match against Thailand on Thursday night, the AP reports. Rapinoe first knelt during the anthem Sept. 4 before a game with her National Women's Soccer League team, the Seattle Reign. Rapinoe, a devoted advocate for...
5 Women Stars
Hit US Soccer
With Equal Pay
Mar 31, 2016 8:03 AM CDT
5 Women Stars Hit US Soccer With Equal Pay Complaint
USWNT players say they're paid 40% of what male counterparts make
- Five players acting on behalf of the US women's national soccer team have filed a complaint against the US Soccer Federation, alleging they're paid 40% of what their male counterparts earn, despite winning three World Cups and four Olympic gold medals. In a federal complaint filed with the...
Lightning Strikes Soccer Fan, Cancels Match
Jun 29, 2014 12:00 PM CDT
Lightning Strikes Soccer Fan, Cancels Match
'Like a bomb went off' outside Columbus Crew stadium
- Lightning struck an off-duty firefighter last night as he stood in the parking lot of the Columbus Crew's stadium, landing him in an Ohio hospital and canceling the soccer match as violent storms moved through the area. Medical crews revived Stu Tudor, 54, after he was hit, but the...
but US Advances
to Round of 16
Jun 26, 2014 1:15 PM CDT
Germany Wins, but US Advances to Round of 16
Portugal's narrow win over Ghana eliminates both teams
- It may not have been the glorious triumph some fans were hoping for, but the US is advancing out of its group and into the round of 16, after a 1-0 loss to Germany today. Thomas Mueller scored his fourth goal of the tournament to give the Germans the win,...
It's Do or Tie for
US and Germany
World Cup Preview
Jun 26, 2014 7:56 AM CDT
It's Do or Tie for US and Germany
Jurgen Klinsmann thinks you should take the day off work to watch the match
- This is it. The US men's national team plays a climactic match against powerhouse Germany at noon today, and, as
's For the Win blog puts it, "It's do or … tie … or lose with better goal differential … or something." Confused? Or...
US' World Cup Draw Is Horrific
Dec 6, 2013 2:30 PM CST
US' World Cup Draw Is Horrific
They'll have to face Germany, Portugal, and Ghana
- The World Cup 2014 draw was today, and it did not go well for the US. It seems the good old USA will have to face off against Germany, Portugal, and perhaps most terrifyingly of all, Ghana, in Group G, in what commentators are widely calling the "group of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
His Offer to Pay Off Women's Debt Was Too Good to Be True
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.