Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Suspected Picasso Thief
Isn't Who Police Expected
Jun 30, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Suspected Picasso Thief Isn't Who Police Expected
He's reportedly not a member of a sophisticated gang but just someone who loves art
- On Tuesday Greece heralded the discovery of a precious Picasso painting that had been stolen from the National Gallery in Athens in 2012. The
reports that the man suspected of taking "Head of a Woman," along with a work by Piet Mondrian, isn't who police expected....
Museum Dumps a Most
Jun 18, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Museum Dumps a Most Controversial Exhibit
Shanghai's OCAT gallery apologizes for Song Ta's display that ranked women from 'prettiest to ugliest'
- One of China's most respected modern museums is taking heat for a multimedia exhibit that used university students as its unwitting subjects. The
South China Morning Post
and BBC note the artwork by male artist Song Ta at Shanghai's OCT Contemporary Art Terminal, or OCAT, was displayed under...
Artist Sells 'Invisible'
Sculpture for $18K
Jun 7, 2021 6:14 AM CDT
Artist Sells 'Invisible' Sculpture for $18K
Someone just bought Salvatore Garau's 'immaterial' artwork, sight unseen
- As innovators try to take advantage of the NFT craze and come up with the latest digital asset to sell, Salvatore Garau's newest creation is a more old-fashioned piece of art that exists in the real world—kind of. The 67-year-old Italian artist has sold
Novel Technique Restores
May 31, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Novel Technique Restores Michelangelo's Gleam
Team in Italy unleashes microbes to eat away grime on marble
- Sometimes, art restorations do not go well . Not well at all . But in Florence, Italy, a team of historians, art restorers, and, crucially, scientists appears to have pulled off the feat in impressive fashion, writes Jason Horowitz in the
New York Times
. The restoration involved marble statues carved by none...
His Music Is Legendary.
But His Art Is 'Rarely Seen'
May 11, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
His Music Is Legendary. But His Art Is 'Rarely Seen'
Largest ever collection of Bob Dylan's artwork to be shown in US
- More than 120 "rarely seen" paintings, drawings, and sculptures by Bob Dylan are to be exhibited in the US for the first time. The artworks, completed over six decades, will be displayed at the Frost Art Museum at Florida International University beginning on Nov. 30, to coincide with Miami...
For $10 Million, You Get
the Artist for 10 Years
Apr 13, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
For $10 Million, You Get the Artist for 10 Years
An LA artist will live in a shed for as long as a decade if the price is right
- An artist in Los Angeles has been locked in a shed all year. If he gets enough money, he’ll stay there for 10 years. Tim C. Inzana started out 2021 by locking himself in a shed on his family’s property. He’s livestreaming himself round the clock on...
Police Searching for Man
Who Popped Bubble Wrap
Mar 27, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Police Searching for Man Who Popped Bubble Wrap
It was part of an art installation
- Popping bubble wrap is a source of satisfaction for many people. For a man in Canada, however, it may be the source of legal troubles. Police in Vancouver are asking for tips from the public as they work to track down the unidentified man shown in a video damaging a...
Angelina Jolie's Churchill
Painting Sets Auction Record
Mar 2, 2021 8:13 AM CST
Angelina Jolie's Churchill Painting Sets Auction Record
Former British prime minister's 'most important work' sells for almost $10M
- A painting by former British prime minister Sir Winston Churchill has just sold for an auction record, making Angelina Jolie millions of dollars richer. The actress had offered up
The Tower Of The Koutoubia Mosque
, which Churchill painted in Marrakech, Morroco, during World War II. An anonymous buyer nabbed it...
It Took a Group 2 Days to
Create This Giant Snow Art
Feb 10, 2021 2:21 PM CST
It Took a Group 2 Days to Create This Giant Snow Art
Finns in snowshoes made it happen
- An ephemeral artwork made with thousands of footsteps in the snow has captured attention near Finland's capital of Helsinki. Under the guidance of local resident and amateur artist Janne Pyykko, 11 snowshoe-clad volunteers stamped a series of complex geometric patterns on a golf course. Together, the designs create a...
This Manet Painting Has
Never Been Seen in Public
Jan 22, 2021 7:40 AM CST
This Manet Painting Has Never Been Seen in Public
Portrait of a pet dog expected to fetch up to $430K at auction
- A dog painting by the great French modernist artist Édouard Manet, not seen in public in the nearly 150 years since its creation, is headed for auction. "It is not one of his chefs-d'œuvre [masterpieces] but it a marvelous interpretation of Manet's skill; a wonderful...
Really Wanted to
Dec 16, 2020 7:30 AM CST
This Person Really Wanted to See the
Bidder paid $98K to get closer glimpse of da Vinci's famous piece during annual inspection
- How much would it be worth to get to see that
smile up close and personal, without any fellow gawkers blocking your view? According to one person, $98,000 . That's how much a bidder paid for the chance to watch as da Vinci's famous painting is...
Dec 13, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Groups Work to Preserve Protest Art
Activists want murals painted after George Floyd's death 'to live on'
- Neither woman could bring themselves to watch the video of George Floyd's final moments, his neck pinned under a Minneapolis police officer’s knee. But as their city grieved, Leesa Kelly and Kenda Zellner-Smith found comfort in messages of anguish and hope that appeared on boarded-up windows as residents...
First Visitors Arrive
at Utah Monolith
Nov 27, 2020 6:19 AM CST
First Visitors Arrive at Utah Monolith
Dozens, possibly hundreds of people have visited the site this week
- The Utah Department of Public Safety would really rather you not set out for the newly discovered monolith in San Juan County. But "the genie is out of the bottle" and "it's a free country," as Corporal Andrew Battenfield tells the BBC . The outlet reports dozens,...
Online Sleuth Finds
Nov 25, 2020 6:10 PM CST
Online Sleuth Finds Mystery Monolith
And theories are popping up that might explain it
- Artists? Aliens? Prop masters? A monolith discovered in the middle of the Utah desert has spawned all kinds of theories—including the notion that a film crew left it behind, the Smithsonian reports. So let's start with that one:
It Has Banksy's
Why He Won't
Oct 23, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
It Has Banksy's Signature. Here's Why He Won't Authenticate It
Artwork was taken from a seaside wall, a no-no in the world of Banksy
- A man who appeared on the BBC's
, hoping to hear the value of his Banksy artwork, ended up receiving a rebuke from the show's specialist and Banksy's team. The unidentified man told specialist Rupert Maas that he found the artwork—featuring Banksy's name and...
'Extensive' Attack Carried Out
Against 70 Museum Treasures
Oct 21, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
'Extensive' Attack Carried Out Against 70 Museum Treasures
Berlin's Museum Island targeted on anniversary of German reunification
- At least 70 artifacts and artworks were targeted almost three weeks ago in what German newspaper
describes as "one of the most extensive attacks on works of art and antiquities in the history of post-war Germany," per Deutsche Welle . The attack on Berlin's Museum Island,...
Banksy Just Suffered
a 'Devastating' Loss
Sep 17, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Banksy Just Suffered a 'Devastating' Loss
Street artist loses EU trademark fight with greeting card company over his own artwork
- In a desperate move to claim the trademark for one of his most famous works, British street artist Banksy, usually known for floating untethered in anonymity, opened up a shop last fall, hoping to sway European Union judges in his favor. His efforts—deemed a "weakass attempt" by Techdirt...
Trump to US Diplomat:
Your $750K Art Is Mine
Sep 6, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
Trump to US Diplomat: Your $750K Art Is Mine
Ambassador Jamie McCourt didn't object, sources say
- President Trump, art lover? That's what Bloomberg is reporting. Seems the president carted home a box-load of art from the US ambassador's mansion while visiting France in 2018. Insiders say Trump told the ambassador, Jamie McCourt, that a painting, bust, and set of figurines were returning with him...
'Next to Miraculous' $9M Vase
Found in Old Woman's Cupboard
in case you missed it
Aug 8, 2020 11:31 AM CDT
'Next to Miraculous' $9M Vase Found in Old Woman's Cupboard
Rediscovered Chinese porcelain dating back 275 years kept in open cupboard near cats, dogs
- A delicate Chinese porcelain vase believed to have been crafted for an emperor 275 years ago has sold for more than $9 million after turning up in a cupboard in a country home in central Europe. The rare find—actually two vases in one, with a pierced outer layer of...
Banksy Weighs In on Lockdown
Jul 15, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Banksy Weighs In on Lockdown
Coronavirus-themed artwork has since been removed from London train
- New coronavirus-themed artwork from Banksy appeared on the London Underground before it was swiftly removed according to a "strict anti-graffiti policy." A video shared Tuesday on Banksy's social media channels shows a man posing as a professional cleaner aboard a Circle Line train, per the BBC . He...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
18-Year-Old Topples Track Record From 1965
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.