Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Glenn Youngkin Wins
Tight Virginia Governor's Race
Nov 2, 2021 11:44 PM CDT
Glenn Youngkin Wins Tight Virginia Governor's Race
The AP has called the race
This file has been updated after the race was called.
Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Republican Glenn Youngkin were locked in a tight race for Virginia governor Tuesday night, the most closely watched contest in an off-year election that could prove a referendum on President Biden’s first year in...
Trump Plans Rally as Va. GOP
Candidate Distances Himself
Nov 1, 2021 2:59 PM CDT
Trump Plans Rally as Va. GOP Candidate Distances Himself
Glenn Youngkin has not emphasized his ties to the former president
- Donald Trump is going to rally for Glenn Youngkin and his gubernatorial campaign in Virginia—whether Youngkin wants him to or not. Terry McAuliffe, a former Democratic governor, has been running his race—and it’s a tight one —with a lot of emphasis on his opponent’s ties...
Virginia Polls Vary, but
All Show Youngkin Gaining
Oct 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Virginia Polls Vary, but All Show Youngkin Gaining
Fox has Republican up 8 points over McAuliffe, though other results show a tighter race
- The most recent polls in the Virginia governor's race show Republican Glenn Youngkin closing ground on Democrat Terry McAuliffe—if not already ahead—as the campaigns reach final days. A Fox News poll taken early last week is by far the most encouraging for Youngkin, showing him up 53%-45%...
New Flashpoint in Virginia
Race: a 1987 Novel
Oct 28, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
New Flashpoint in Virginia Race: a 1987 Novel
Controversy over Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' resurfaces in McAuliffe-Youngkin contest
- The closely watched governor's race in Virginia is in its final days, and controversy over a Toni Morrison novel is suddenly dominating the conversation. It all revolves around the differing opinions of the candidates—Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Republican Glenn Youngkin—on how much say parents should have in...
In Virginia, Two Words
Democrats Hate: 'Dead Heat'
Oct 26, 2021 12:13 PM CDT
In Virginia, Two Words Democrats Hate: 'Dead Heat'
New poll shows tight race for governor in contest with national implications
- Democrats have won the last two races for governor in once-red Virginia, but a three-peat won't be easy. A new poll from
/Suffolk University shows Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Republican Glenn Youngkin tied at about 45%. "Dead heat," is how Suffolk's David Paleologos puts...
Obama Comes Out Swinging
In Race for Virginia Gov
Oct 24, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Obama Comes Out Swinging In Race for Virginia Gov
Terry McAuliffe wants to be governor again
- Former President Barack Obama offered a sharp rebuke of the Republican candidate for Virginia governor, Glenn Youngkin, as he encouraged voters on Saturday to support Democrat Terry McAuliffe in the closely watched race. Obama accused Youngkin of portraying himself as a friendly everyman while encouraging what Obama called “lies...
Sorry for Possible
Oct 16, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Psaki Says Sorry for Possible Breach: 'Words Certainly Matter'
Ethics watchdog says press secretary shouldn't have promoted Va. gubernatorial contender McAuliffe
- President Biden's camp is going all in for support of Terry McAuliffe, the Democratic candidate for Virginia governor, but one member of that team is now getting dinged for not lying low. Reuters reports that the nonprofit watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has called for an...
Biden Team Fears
in case you missed it
Oct 2, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Biden Team Fears Damage From Virginia Loss
McAuliffe leads Youngkin, but Democrats worry about complacency
- Worried about the implications for President Biden's agenda and the party, Democratic officials are going all in on Terry McAuliffe's candidacy for governor of Virginia. Biden's team and national party leaders are planning to become more involved in the campaign, Politico reports. With five weeks of campaigning...
VA Primary Results Are
Good News for McAuliffe
Jun 9, 2021 12:06 AM CDT
VA Primary Results Are Good News for McAuliffe
Former governor wins Democratic gubernatorial primary
- Terry McAuliffe, the energetic former Virginia governor and longtime fixture of Democratic politics, won the party’s nomination Tuesday in his quest for a second term in office, the AP reports. McAuliffe, 64, will go on to face GOP nominee and political newcomer Glenn Youngkin in the November general election,...
Embattled Governor 'Now
Feb 4, 2019 5:16 AM CST
Embattled Governor 'Now Considering Resignation'
Ralph Northam met with senior staffers Sunday night
- Ralph Northam was still the governor of Virginia as of Sunday night—but with dozens of his fellow Democrats calling for him to step down over a racist photo in his 1984 medical school yearbook, few observers expect him to last another week. Sources tell the
Outgoing Virginia Governor
Pranks His Successor
Jan 16, 2018 12:33 AM CST
Outgoing Virginia Governor Pranks His Successor
Terry McAuliffe gives Ralph Northam an unnerving welcome to the governor's mansion
- Playing pranks on your successor is a tradition among Virginia governors. When Mark Warner moved out of the governor's mansion in 2006, for example, he left a life-size cutout of himself in the shower for the recently elected Tim Kaine, the
reports. Kaine paid that favor forward...
Thomas Jefferson Statue
Vandalized at UVa
Aug 25, 2017 10:46 AM CDT
Thomas Jefferson Statue Vandalized at UVa
Also, Charlottesville mayor says police chief told him to stay out of safety talks
- While the aftermath of the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville continues to play out on a national level, developments are emerging locally as well. The
and WTOP shed some light on what's been happening in the college town, as well as in the state of Virginia, since...
Mourning the 3 Who
Died in Charlottesville
Aug 14, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Mourning the 3 Who Died in Charlottesville
RIP to state troopers H. Jay Cullen, Berke MM Bates and civilian Heather Heyer
- Friends and family are mourning the three people who died over the weekend during a white nationalist rally in Virginia, per the AP . Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe said he was touched by the deaths of two state troopers, whom he knew personally, who died when their helicopter crashed in a...
Charlottesville Mayor, Va. Gov.
Call Out White Supremacists
Aug 13, 2017 5:29 PM CDT
Charlottesville Mayor, Va. Gov. Call Out White Supremacists
'You go home, you stay out of here, because we are a commonwealth that stays together'
- Charlottesville's mayor and Virginia's governor are speaking out in the wake of the white supremacist rally and ensuing attack that killed a counter-protester:
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe spoke during Sunday services at Charlottesville's Mt. Zion First African Baptist Church, reports
He called the white supremacists "
13K Felons in Virginia
Now Have Voting Rights
Aug 23, 2016 12:45 AM CDT
13K Felons in Virginia Now Have Voting Rights
Governor is restoring rights case by case
- Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's autopen has had a busy month. The Democrat announced Monday that he has signed papers restoring voting rights to 13,000 former felons, and he's working on restoring rights to up to 193,000 more, reports the
. McAuliffe signed an order in April...
Va. Gov. Vows to Restore
Voting Rights, Felon by Felon
Jul 23, 2016 10:22 AM CDT
Va. Gov. Vows to Restore Voting Rights, Felon by Felon
Republicans say he's trying to help Clinton
- It's safe to assume that there will be some serious hand cramping in Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s future. The Democratic governor vows to "expeditiously sign nearly 13,000 individual orders" to restore the voting rights of felons in his state, NPR reports. "And I will continue...
Apr 22, 2016 11:44 AM CDT
Virginia Ditches Civil War-Era Rule, Lets Felons Vote
Gov. Terry McAuliffe restoring rights to felons
- Since the Civil War, convicted felons in Virginia have been stripped of their right to vote. That will change Friday as Gov. Terry McAuliffe signs an executive order restoring the voting rights of some 206,000 nonviolent and violent felons, reports the
. They'll also be able to...
Va. Governor Blocks Bill on
Apr 11, 2016 7:46 AM CDT
Va. Governor Blocks Bill on Electric Chair
Would have been Plan B if lethal injection drugs ran out
- Death-row inmates in Virginia won't have to face the electric chair—unless they want to. Gov. Terry McAuliffe has blocked a measure that would have made death by electrocution the mandatory Plan B if the state runs out of lethal-injection drugs, reports the
. McAuliffe had until midnight...
Va. Gov: Dump
Jun 23, 2015 11:16 AM CDT
Va. Gov: Dump Confederate License Plates
Symbol 'unnecessarily divisive and hurtful': Terry McAuliffe
- Walmart has dumped its Confederate flag merchandise , South Carolina pols are pushing to rid the symbol from the Capitol , and now Virginia's governor says he wants to erase the icon he calls "unnecessarily divisive and hurtful" from license plates. Terry McAuliffe announced his intentions this morning in Richmond,...
Man Spends 29 Years in Jail ... for Looking Like Rapist
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 17, 2015 10:36 AM CDT
Man Spends 29 Years in Jail ... for Looking Like Rapist
Michael Kenneth McAlister's conviction had been in doubt for decades
- Michael Kenneth McAlister was freed Wednesday after spending about half his life in prison for having the wrong face at the wrong time. Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe granted a full pardon to the 58-year-old after a serial rapist who bears a very strong resemblance to McAlister—side-by-side mugshots can be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.