Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Congresswoman Will Retire
After Diagnosis Worsens
Sep 18, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Congresswoman Will Retire After Diagnosis Worsens
Democrat Jennifer Wexton of Virginia has 'Parkinson's on steroids'
- When congresswoman Jennifer Wexton of Virginia revealed that she had Parkinson's earlier this year, the 55-year-old said she planned to continue serving in Congress for years to come. On Monday, however, the Democrat announced that while she'll serve out her current term, she won't seek reelection because...
Makes the Call
Jul 8, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
House or Senate Run? Top Dem Makes the Call
Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin is going for his 5th term in the House of Representatives
- Congressman Jamie Raskin has launched his latest election campaign—but it's not for US Senate, as some had speculated. WBFF reports that the Democrat, who represents Maryland's 8th District in the US House of Representatives, announced Friday he'll be running for his fifth term in the House,...
House Censures Adam Schiff
as Democrats Chant 'Shame!'
Jun 21, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
House Censures Adam Schiff as Democrats Chant 'Shame!'
Republicans impose punishment over investigations of Trump
- After their attempt last week was blocked , House Republicans succeeded Wednesday in censuring Rep. Adam Schiff. The action was punishment for the California Democrat's support of past investigations into Donald Trump's connections to Russia. The vote was along party lines, 213-209, with six House members voting present,
Daughter of No. 2
May 4, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Daughter of No. 2 House Dem Must Apologize to Officer
Adult child of Rep. Katherine Clark gets probation after alleged assault in Boston
- The daughter of a top Democrat will avoid jail and instead get a year's probation after allegedly assaulting a police officer in Boston. Riley Dowell, whose mother is House Whip Katherine Clark, must complete 30 hours of community service, pay for the cost of removing spray-painted graffiti, and write...
I Have Parkinson's
Apr 11, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Virginia Congresswoman: I Have Parkinson's
Jennifer Wexton announces her diagnosis on National Parkinson's Day
- Virginia Rep. Jennifer Wexton survived a dogfight of a re-election campaign in November, but she's got a personal fight on her hands now: As Politico reports, the 54-year-old Democrat revealed on Tuesday that she has Parkinson's disease, saying in a video that if "there’s one thing...
See Biden Flip
Mar 3, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Democrats Didn't See Biden Flip Coming
'We are being hung out to dry,' one says
- President Biden's flip on crime legislation for the District of Columbia has left House Democrats steaming and Republicans claiming an unexpected victory. President Biden said Thursday he'll sign the resolution to stop the DC changes after White House guidance had led 173 Democrats to oppose the measure, the...
Jan 24, 2023 12:43 PM CST
Blue Dog Democrats Facing a Revolt
Long-standing group down to 7 after members leave in a rebranding dispute
- Blue Dog Democrats are seen as a moderate bloc in the House—a "fiscally conservative, pro-national security caucus" among Democrats that acts as a counter to progressives, per Roll Call . After the 2008 elections, the group had a healthy 54 members. Today, however, the number is down to seven,...
House Jan. 6 Panel
Releases Final Report
Dec 23, 2022 12:07 AM CST
House Jan. 6 Panel Releases Final Report
It's 'a final act for House Democrats'
- The House Jan. 6 committee’s final report asserts that Donald Trump criminally engaged in a “multi-part conspiracy” to overturn the lawful results of the 2020 presidential election and failed to act to stop his supporters from attacking the Capitol, concluding an extraordinary 18-month investigation into the former president...
The House Elects a
New Generation of Leaders
Nov 30, 2022 10:51 AM CST
The House Elects a New Generation of Leaders
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries becomes minority leader, but Rep. James Clyburn stays in the game
- Rep. Hakeem Jeffries made history on Wednesday: With his election as House minority leader, the 52-year-old Democrat became the first Black lawmaker to head a political party in Congress, per the AP .
points out it's not the only first, flagging the fact that the "top ranks of...
What We Know About
Pelosi's Expected Successor
Nov 18, 2022 9:40 AM CST
What We Know About Pelosi's Expected Successor
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York is a self-described Black progressive
- As Nancy Pelosi steps down from her leadership post among House Democrats, she promises not to be a meddling "mother-in-law in the kitchen" as a new generation takes over, per the Daily Beast . And while her successor as party leader in the chamber has not been officially chosen, pretty...
a New Name
Nov 17, 2022 3:00 PM CST
As Pelosi Steps Down, a New Name Emerges
Path clears for Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York to lead House Democrats
- Other top Democrats announced Thursday that they'll follow Speaker Nancy Pelosi out of top House leadership while remaining members of Congress. Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland and Democratic Whip Jim Clyburn of South Carolina said immediately after Pelosi's announcement that they too will step aside, the Hill...
For First Time in 42 Years,
a DCCC Chair May Lose
Oct 25, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
For First Time in 42 Years, a DCCC Chair May Lose
Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, head of Democrats' congressional campaign, in tight New York race
- In its reassessment of the coming midterms, the Cook Political Report on Monday made a fairly common move for this time of year—it shifted a congressional race from "lean Democrat" to "toss up." However, this particular race involves Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney of New York, who...
New Leaders After
Stock Ban Stalls
Sep 30, 2022 4:42 PM CDT
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Pelosi brings the issue up just before recess
- House Democratic leaders are taking heat for their handling of legislation to bar lawmakers from trading stocks. Rep. Abigail Spanberger, the Democrat who introduced the bill two years ago with support from both parties, issued a statement Friday saying House leaders had set the legislation up to fail, bringing the...
GOP Sees Harder
Fight in Taking
Back Senate, House
Sep 26, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
GOP Sees Harder Fight in Taking Back Senate, House
Republicans still projected to win House, but that number is falling, and Senate now looks precarious
- In just 43 days, Americans will decide the makeup of the Senate and House. And with President Biden's tepid poll numbers earlier this year, as well as historical precedence that often has the party in power ceding ground during the midterms, it seemed a given just a few months...
Landmark Bill Goes to Biden:
Here's What's in It
Aug 12, 2022 4:46 PM CDT
Landmark Bill Goes to Biden: Here's What's in It
Among other things, it includes biggest ever investment in fighting climate change
- The House gave final passage on Friday to the biggest investment ever in the US to fight climate change. The bill heading to President Biden's desk also includes a hard-fought cap on out-of-pocket prescription drug costs for Medicare recipients and a new corporate minimum tax on big businesses. All...
17 House Democrats Arrested
at Abortion RIghts Rally
Jul 19, 2022 4:24 PM CDT
17 House Democrats Arrested at Abortion RIghts Rally
They sat down in street in front of Supreme Court
- Some 17 House Democrats—including Assistant Speaker Katherine Clark, the fourth highest-ranked Democrat in the House—were arrested Tuesday afternoon at an abortion rights protest outside the Supreme Court. US Capitol Police said in a tweet that they made a total of 35 arrests, including 17 members of Congress, for...
Bill to Legalize
Apr 1, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
House Passes Bill to Legalize Marijuana
Backers say measure corrects a racial injustice
- The House approved legislation Friday to end all federal criminal penalties over the manufacture, distribution, or possession of marijuana. Speaker Nancy Pelosi told the House the measure rights injustices and is "one of the most important criminal justice reform bills in recent history." The legislation cleared 220-204 and...
Takes New COVID Money
From Spending Package
Mar 10, 2022 1:26 AM CST
Democratic Uprising Takes New COVID Money From Spending Package
Bill to keep government running has $13B for Ukraine's fight
The House approved a massive spending bill Wednesday night that would rush $13.6 billion in US aid to battered Ukraine and its European allies, after top Democrats were forced to abruptly drop their plan to include fresh funds to battle COVID-19. Senate approval was assured by week’s...
Pelosi Has Theory
Feb 13, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Pelosi Has Theory About Midterms
Speaker contradicts Manchin on his Build Back Better argument
- History shows the political party holding the White House nearly always loses congressional seats in midterm elections. But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that recent history gives her hope about Democrats' prospects this year,
reports. "One of the reasons that, in part, the president’s party loses...
There Are Now 28 House
Jan 19, 2022 1:28 AM CST
There Are Now 28 House Democrats Retiring
Ahead of what is expected to be a challenging election
- Two more House Democrats announced Tuesday they won't seek reelection in November, bringing the party's total retirements to 28 ahead of what is expected to be a difficult midterm election year, the AP reports. Reps. Jim Langevin of Rhode Island and Jerry McNerney of California both said in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.