Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
USPS Suspends Deliveries
in Neighborhood After Attacks
Apr 11, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
USPS Suspends Deliveries in Neighborhood After Attacks
'Multiple carriers have been subjected to assaults,' USPS says of Santa Monica area
- "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night" deters mail carriers, according to the United States Postal Service's unofficial motto—but in Santa Monica, a person with an apparent vendetta against carriers has done what the weather couldn't. The USPS has halted services in one...
Injury' at USPS Facility,
Possible Big Fines
Mar 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
After 'Life-Changing Injury' at USPS Facility, Possible Big Fines
Worker has arm amputated after accident at NC mail facility; OSHA finds 'serious safety violations'
- A US Postal Service worker lost an arm after an accident involving a machine at a North Carolina mail processing center, and now the agency could face fines of more than $170,000, reports WGHP . Per a release from the US Department of Labor, the mechanic at the USPS' Greensboro...
'Most Significant Overhaul'
of USPS Closer to Reality
Feb 9, 2022 2:13 PM CST
'Most Significant Overhaul' of USPS Closer to Reality
House OKs bill that will help USPS 'succeed into the 21st century'
- Under bipartisan legislation the House approved Tuesday, Congress would lift onerous budget requirements that have helped push the Postal Service deeply into debt and would require it to continue delivering mail six days per week. The election-year bill, coming at a time of widespread complaints about slower mail service, would...
Feds: Mail Carrier Stole
Greeting Cards for the Cash
Jan 7, 2022 2:46 PM CST
Feds: Mail Carrier Stole Greeting Cards for the Cash
Florida's Miranda Delee Farleigh, 25, allegedly stole 4K pieces of mail, was turned in by parents
- Authorities say that a Florida mail carrier accused of stealing 4,000 or so pieces of mail around the holidays was busted by her own parents, and that she sifted through greeting cards to find cash due to her drug addiction. The alleged monthlong scheme carried out by 25-year-old Miranda...
1945 Letter Finally Delivered:
'It's Like He Came Back to Me'
Jan 7, 2022 10:04 AM CST
1945 Letter Finally Delivered: 'It's Like He Came Back to Me'
John Gonsalves' widow received letter intended for late husband's mother
- A letter sent from a US soldier stationed in Germany to his mother in Massachusetts has been delivered 76 years after it was sent, per the AP . Army Sgt. John Gonsalves, 22 at the time, wrote to his mother in Woburn in December 1945 after the official end of WWII,...
FBI: Gunman Among
3 Dead in USPS Shooting
Oct 13, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
FBI: Gunman Among 3 Dead in USPS Shooting
All were USPS employees
- A gunman fatally shot two people and himself Tuesday afternoon at a United States Postal Service facility in Memphis, authorities say. Postal carriers typically depart the East Lamar Carrier Annex in the morning, while other staff members remain to sort mail and perform other tasks. No retail customers are typically...
Cops: Man Blocked Mail Truck,
Shot Worker Multiple Times
Oct 8, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Cops: Man Blocked Mail Truck, Shot Worker Multiple Times
Suspect Erik Kortz claimed that Louis Vignone had poisoned him
- A 58-year-old Pittsburgh-area mail carrier who was looking forward to retirement has become the latest postal worker to be killed in the line of duty. Police and postal inspectors say Erik Kortz blocked Louis Vignone's mail truck with his van in a Collier Township neighborhood before shooting him multiple...
19 States Push Back on
USPS' Unpleasant Changes
Oct 8, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
19 States Push Back on USPS' Unpleasant Changes
They, plus DC, are filing a challenge to the agency's budget-cutting plan
- The United States Postal Service launched its 10-year plan to cut costs on Oct. 1, including such unpleasant-sounding practices as slowing mail delivery , reducing post office hours, and increasing postage costs. Now, attorneys general in 19 states plus the District of Columbia are fighting back. They've filed an administrative...
Report: USPS Managers
Often Cheat Workers Out of Pay
Sep 1, 2021 5:02 PM CDT
Report: USPS Managers Often Cheat Workers Out of Pay
Records show hundreds have been caught changing carriers' time cards
- Nancy Campos’ back ached as she loaded more than 100 Amazon packages onto her truck. The 59-year-old grandmother, a mail carrier for the US Postal Service, had worked 13 days in a row without a lunch break, and now she was delivering on the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday to...
Your Mail Is About
to Get Slower, Pricier
in case you missed it
Jul 25, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Your Mail Is About to Get Slower, Pricier
- "Get used to me," Postmaster General Louis DeJoy told Democratic lawmakers who described him as a "Trump holdover" earlier this year. Starting next month, Americans will have to get used to some of the changes he has introduced, including slower mail for a higher price, CBS reports....
Getting Even Pricier
May 29, 2021 7:56 PM CDT
Stamps Are Getting Even Pricier
Cost rises to 58 cents this summer, part of Louis DeJoy's 10-year plan
- It might be a good time to stock up on Forever Stamps. Rates are going up at the US Postal Service this summer—a first-class stamp will go up from 55 cents to 58 cents. Some postal service employees will be laid off, too, the
USPS Announces Plans to
Consolidate 18 Mail Facilities
Apr 29, 2021 6:34 AM CDT
USPS Announces Plans to Consolidate 18 Mail Facilities
Union warns it will lead to more delays
- The United States Postal Service says a plan to consolidate 18 mail processing facilities around the country won't result in layoffs, but the American Postal Workers Union is still crying foul. The union warns that closing the facilities will cause further mail delays and will cause hardships for rural...
DeJoy's 10-Year-Plan for
USPS Includes Slower Mail
Mar 23, 2021 3:13 PM CDT
DeJoy's 10-Year-Plan for USPS Includes Slower Mail
Hours at some post offices will be cut
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy on Tuesday announced plans to slow mail delivery standards and cut hours at some post offices as part of a 10-year strategy to stabilize the struggling agency. Details of the long-awaited plan come at a time of intense scrutiny on the US Postal Service over persistent...
USPS Shuts Down
132-Year-Old Post Office
After Request for
$600 a Month
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
USPS Shuts Down 132-Year-Old Post Office After Request for $600 a Month
Its two employees were only paid $8.33 an hour
- When Colleen Raftis bought a building in the tiny Washington town of Nahcotta last year, it came with a historic post office staffed by two elderly women who took turns working three hours a day for $8.33 an hour. She says that when she asked the US Postal Service...
Behold, the USPS'
New 'Duck Truck'
in case you missed it
Feb 27, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Behold, the USPS' New 'Duck Truck'
United States Postal Service is modernizing its vehicles
- The United States Postal Service on Tuesday announced that its "Next Generation Delivery Vehicle," or NGDV, is coming. Oshkosh Defense scored the 10-year contract to manufacture the vehicles, which the USPS says will be a multi-billion dollar modernization effort. The Verge notes that's a blow to Workhorse,...
Biden Makes Big Move
on US Postal Service
Feb 25, 2021 6:52 AM CST
Biden Makes Big Move on US Postal Service
New board members could help oust DeJoy
- "Get used to me," Postmaster General Louis DeJoy told House lawmakers during a hearing Wednesday. They may not have to. President Biden, who can't fire DeJoy directly, has named candidates to fill three empty slots on the US Postal Service's nine-member board, which could give it...
Postmaster General to
Lawmakers: 'Get Used to Me'
Feb 24, 2021 3:40 PM CST
Postmaster General to Lawmakers: 'Get Used to Me'
Louis DeJoy says he's not a 'Trump holdover'
- President Biden can't directly fire Postmaster General Louis DeJoy—and DeJoy certainly knows it. During a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing Wednesday, DeJoy corrected a Democratic lawmaker who described him as a "Trump holdover," Politico reports. "I'm not a political appointee," he said....
Quarter of Georgia Voters
Already Have Cast Ballots
Dec 25, 2020 9:52 AM CST
Quarter of Georgia Voters Already Have Cast Ballots
USPS will treat the ballots as express mail
- The US Postal Service has agreed to take aggressive measures to make sure mail ballots get counted in Georgia's runoff elections. In a deal struck with civil rights groups, the USPS said it would treat any ballots that remain in processing centers within three days of the Jan. 5...
Sources: USPS Worker
Admits Making Up
Election Fraud Allegations
Nov 11, 2020 1:08 AM CST
Sources: USPS Worker Admits Making Up Election Fraud Allegations
But he denies that in his own update on the case
- The United States Postal Service worker who claimed a postmaster in Erie, Pa., told employees to backdate ballots that were mailed after Election Day has admitted he made up the allegations, sources tell the
. The claim, which has been cited by top Republicans including Lindsey Graham as evidence...
Mail Carrier's Wrong Turn
Earns Him an Arrest
in case you missed it
Nov 8, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Mail Carrier's Wrong Turn Earns Him an Arrest
CBP agents say 800 pieces of mail were in trunk of Buffalo USPS worker's car
- A US Postal Service mail carrier in Buffalo has been arrested after authorities say Customs and Border Protection officials found 813 pieces of mail in the trunk of his car as he drove back to Buffalo from Canada. Per a criminal complaint filed by Brendan Boone, a special agent with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.