Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Panama Canal,
7 Hikers Massacred
Jul 21, 2020 4:34 AM CDT
At Panama Canal, 7 Hikers Massacred
A man has been charged
- Seven young people on a trip at Gatún Lake, which forms part of the Panama Canal, were found murdered in a wooded area near the lake Saturday, the BBC reports. All had been shot in the head. The victims, four males and three females aged 17 to 22, were...
4 Die on Cruise Ship
Isolated Off Panama
Mar 27, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
4 Die on Cruise Ship Isolated Off Panama
Crews try to move healthy passengers to another ship
- Four passengers have died aboard a cruise ship now anchored off the coast of Panama, and two people aboard the ship have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the cruise line said Friday. Holland America Line said in a post on its Facebook page that more than 130 people aboard...
7 Killed in Panama
Jan 17, 2020 3:08 AM CST
7 Killed in Panama Exorcism Ritual
Police say residents were rounded up by preachers
- Seven people—including a pregnant woman and five of her children—were murdered by preachers in a remote area of Panama holding a bizarre ritual to make them "repent their sins," authorities say. Ten people, including the children's grandfather, were arrested in an area controlled by the...
Company Paid $25K to Name
4-Inch Critter After Trump
Dec 19, 2018 6:21 AM CST
Company Paid $25K to Name 4-Inch Critter After Trump
Worm-like 'Dermophis donaldtrumpi' buries its head in the sand
- A UK-based company paid $25,000 to name a newly discovered amphibian after President Trump. Hence the
, a small, blind caecilian that buries its head in the sand. On climate change, so does the president, according to Aidan Bell, co-founder of sustainable building materials company EnviroBuild, which bid...
Trump Firm Asked
to Intervene in Dispute
Apr 10, 2018 12:43 AM CDT
Trump Firm Asked Panama President to Intervene in Dispute
Move is clear example of conflict of interest, experts say
- President Trump's company appealed directly to Panama's president to intervene in its fight over control of a luxury hotel , even invoking a treaty between the two countries, in what ethics experts say was a blatant mingling of Trump's business and government interests. That appeal in a letter...
Trump Name Taken Off
Panama Hotel in
Mar 6, 2018 6:11 AM CST
Trump Name Taken Off Panama Hotel in Dramatic Fashion
Trump Organization kicked out of disputed property
- A fierce dispute over a 70-story Trump-branded hotel in Panama ended Monday with armed police evicting Trump Organization staff from the building and a worker with a crowbar taking the word Trump off the outside of the building. The move followed a standoff between the Trump Organization, which had a...
Reason for US Ambassador to
Panama's Resignation: Trump
Jan 13, 2018 5:00 AM CST
Reason for US Ambassador to Panama's Resignation: Trump
John Feeley is out effective March 9
- The US ambassador to Panama will no longer have that title as of March 9. John Feeley has submitted his resignation and cited President Trump as the motivating factor. Reuters quotes from part of the longtime diplomat's resignation letter: "As a junior foreign service officer, I signed an...
American Serial Killer
Aug 15, 2017 12:20 AM CDT
Panama Sentences American Serial Killer
William Holbert killed 5 other Americans
- US citizen William Dathan Holbert was sentenced to 47 years in prison by a court in Panama for robbing and killing five other Americans in a Caribbean tourist destination, authorities say. Holbert's ex-wife Laura Reese was sentenced to 26 years for her role. Authorities say Holbert admitted killing five...
Trump to Panama Prez: 'We Did
a Good Job Building' Canal
Jun 19, 2017 5:04 PM CDT
Trump to Panama Prez: 'We Did a Good Job Building' Canal
Varela reminds him it was built 100 years ago
- Walls aren’t the only thing President Trump enjoys touting. According to Politico , Trump gave props to the Panama Canal during Panamanian president Juan Carlos Varela’s visit to the Oval Office Monday. The White House blog recounts the remarks made during press availability at the meeting. After Trump greets...
One of Taiwan's Major Allies
Just Switched Sides
Jun 13, 2017 4:12 AM CDT
One of Taiwan's Major Allies Just Switched Sides
Panama switches recognition to Beijing
- Panama switched diplomatic relations from Taiwan to China on Tuesday, dealing a major victory to Beijing in its drive to isolate the self-governing island it claims as its own territory. In Panama, President Juan Carlos Varela announced the change, which entails breaking off formal relations with Taiwan, saying in a...
Beginning of End for Noriega:
One Marine's Wrong Turn
May 30, 2017 12:53 PM CDT
Beginning of End for Noriega: One Marine's Wrong Turn
George HW Bush decided to invade after off-duty US officer was fatally shot
- The death of Manuel Noriega has prompted all kinds of stories about his reign and overthrow, and the
New York Times
notes that it was the fatal shooting of a US military officer that proved to be the tipping point in his downfall. In December 1989, Panamanian troops killed an...
Dead at 83
May 30, 2017 6:21 AM CDT
Ex-Dictator Manuel Noriega Dead at 83
He suffered complications after brain surgery
- Manuel Noriega, the former dictator of Panama and US ally who went on to serve nearly two decades as a US prisoner, has died. The 83-year-old died around 11pm Monday at a hospital in Panama City after undergoing surgery to remove a brain tumor in March, reports the BBC . He...
Noisy Shrimp Named
After Pink Floyd
Apr 12, 2017 12:15 PM CDT
Noisy Shrimp Named After Pink Floyd
Pistol shrimp's bright-pink claw makes such a loud sound it'll blow your mind
- If you've ever been blown away by Pink Floyd, you'll get why scientists just named a similarly thunderous crustacean in its honor. Per a post in the
journal , a species of pistol shrimp with an intensely colored red-pink claw, found in the Pacific Ocean near Panama, has...
She'd Been to 6 Continents by
23, Is Found Dead in Panama
Feb 8, 2017 7:21 AM CST
She'd Been to 6 Continents by 23, Is Found Dead in Panama
Raids held on Bastimentos Island after Catherine Johannet's death
- "I found paradise and it's called Isla Ina," wrote Catherine Johannet on Jan. 28 on Instagram of an island off Panama's coast. It would be the 23-year-old's final post. The 2015 Columbia University grad was found dead Sunday afternoon on the country's Bastimentos Island....
This Jungle Is
Why People Enter
in case you missed it
Jul 24, 2016 3:23 PM CDT
This Jungle Is Notoriously Dangerous. Why People Enter It Anyway
Welcome to the Darien Gap, lure to migrants bound for US
- The Pan-American Highway runs about 19,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina and manages to connect the Americas in remarkable fashion through a network of roads. Well,
: Even this highway can't penetrate the Darien Gap, a dangerous stretch of rainforest on the border of Panama and Colombia. As...
North America's 1st
Monkey Crossed a
Sea to Get There
Apr 20, 2016 6:40 PM CDT
North America's 1st Monkey Crossed a Sea to Get There
And it arrived 18M years before scientists thought possible
- Researchers have discovered evidence that monkeys arrived in North America 18 million years earlier than previously believed, according to a study published Wednesday in
. And they were truly impressive monkeys indeed. The newly discovered
had to somehow cross the 100 miles of water that separated South America...
Winner of Panama Papers Scandal: Bernie Sanders?
Apr 6, 2016 9:21 AM CDT
Winner of Panama Papers Scandal: Bernie Sanders?
He spoke out about offshore tax havens 5 years ago
- "Panama is the world leader when it comes to allowing wealthy Americans and large corporations to evade US taxes by stashing their cash in offshore tax havens." It's a quote as timely today as it was in 2011 when Bernie Sanders spoke about the Panama Free Trade...
Airline Announces Longest
Nonstop Flight in the World
Aug 13, 2015 3:19 PM CDT
Airline Announces Longest Nonstop Flight in the World
Route from Dubai to Panama City on Emirates will take 17.5 hours
- Seventeen hours and 35 minutes is how long you can expect to be in the air if you book tickets now for the world's longest nonstop flight, set for takeoff from Dubai and landing in Panama City, the
reports. Beginning Feb. 1, Emirates will snatch away those longest-flight...
Jul 4, 2015 5:05 PM CDT
Panama Gives Donald Trump Some Bad News
Joining Costa Rica and Mexico, Panama quits Miss Universe contest
- Panama is joining several other Latin American nations in dropping out of the Miss Universe pageant in protest over Donald Trump's comments about immigrants . The Miss Panama Organization and the Telemetro television channel say that this year they won't participate in or broadcast the Miss Universe contest partly...
The 10 Happiest Countries
Jun 27, 2015 4:43 PM CDT
The 10 Happiest Countries
Once again, Panama leads the pack
- US citizens who want a happier life may want to leave the country. The Gallup-Healthways Global Well-Being Index has issued its second annual list of country rankings, looking at 145 countries and how their residents fare in various "well-being elements." Those elements: a sense of purpose, social relationships,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Boy, 13, Dies After Ingesting Fentanyl, Collapsing at School
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.