Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heard in New Mexico,
Cops Find a Tiger
Jan 12, 2023 6:35 PM CST
After Gunshots Heard in New Mexico, Cops Find a Tiger
Months-old cub kept in dog crate has been moved to a zoo
- Responding to a report of gunfire on Tuesday, police in Albuquerque, New Mexico, were hardly expecting to find an adorable but illegal tiger cub. Officers initially responded to a convenience store, where a person had been shot in the leg by a stray bullet around 2pm local time, CNN reports....
Survey Has Surprisingly
Good News on Tigers
Jul 25, 2022 5:49 PM CDT
Survey Has Surprisingly Good News on Tigers
Estimated number in the wild is up 40% from 2015
- Wildlife groups are still very worried about the world's tigers, but the situation isn't quite as bleak as earlier thought, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature . The group says there are an estimated 3,726 to 5,578 wild tigers in the world, up 40%...
Die in Traps
Apr 26, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
3 Endangered Sumatran Tigers Die in Traps
They represent almost 1% of the estimated population
- Three endangered Sumatran tigers have been found dead, dealing a blow to a population thought to number around 400. Conservation officials discovered the bodies of a male and female tiger, whose legs were ensnared in a trap, in Aceh, at the northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island, on Sunday....
Jungle Search Is On for Tiger
That Lost a Hind Leg
Feb 9, 2022 5:44 PM CST
Jungle Search Is On for Tiger That Lost a Hind Leg
Wildlife group in Thailand wants to move animal to safety
- Forest rangers in western Thailand are searching a remote jungle on the Myanmar border hoping to rescue a wild tiger with a missing leg from an area where poachers have recently been operating. Staff from the wildlife protection organization Freeland spotted the animal earlier this week on video recorded by...
Report Clears Zoo
in Tiger's Attack, Death
Feb 3, 2022 6:50 PM CST
Report Clears Zoo in Tiger's Attack, Death
Florida man survived, but the animal didn't
: A zoo in Naples, Florida, is not to blame for a tiger's attack that ended with the animal shot to death, a state investigation has found. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said that River Rosenquist, 26, ignored clear signs and barriers to reach into the tiger'...
9 Big Cats at National Zoo
Being Treated for COVID
Sep 18, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
9 Big Cats at National Zoo Being Treated for COVID
Keepers aren't sure how the lions and tigers got sick
- Lions and tigers and … COVID? Several big cats at the Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, DC, have tested positive after showing symptoms like decreased appetite, lethargy, and sneezing, per NBC 4 Washington . Zoo officials aren’t sure how the big cats got sick—they’re too far from visitors...
of Killing 70 Tigers
Jun 1, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Poacher Accused of Killing 70 Tigers
Bangladesh man finally in custody after 20 years
- A poacher suspected of killing a significant proportion of his country's population of wild Bengal tigers is finally in custody, authorities in Bangladesh say. Habib Talukder, 50, is believed to have killed up to 70 endangered tigers over the last 20 years, the BBC reports. The pelts and other...
Dozens of Underfed Big Cats
Rescued From Tiger King Park
May 21, 2021 5:11 AM CDT
Dozens of Underfed Big Cats Rescued From Tiger King Park
Feds say 68 animals were seized from Jeff and Lauren Lowe's park
- Some 68 underfed and neglected big cats from a park owned by Joe Exotic's former business partner will go to "responsible animal preserves where they can be safely maintained rather than exploited," the Justice Department says. The animals—seven lions, 46 tigers, 15 lion-tiger hybrids, and one...
Tiger's 'Mess' of an Eye
Fixed in Notable Surgery
May 17, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Tiger's 'Mess' of an Eye Fixed in Notable Surgery
The corneal surgery is thought to have never been performed on a tiger before
- A veterinarian in England says performing corneal surgery on a 205-pound tiger is a lot like operating on a smaller cat—only with "a lot more anesthetic." Dr. David Williams, who rose up to the challenge after staff at a wildlife park noticed the 17-year-old Sumatran tiger's...
Missing Tiger Found, Alleged
Owner Faces Serious Charges
May 16, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Missing Tiger Found, Alleged Owner Faces Serious Charges
Cub seen roaming Houston is safe
- A tiger that frightened residents after it was last seen briefly wandering a Houston neighborhood has been found after a nearly week-long search and appears to be unharmed, police announced Saturday, per the AP . In a short video tweeted by Houston police, Cmdr. Ron Borza can be seen sitting next...
Carole Baskin Offers
Reward for Missing Tiger
May 13, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Carole Baskin Offers Reward for Missing Tiger
$5K to go toward India's safe return and the humans' punishment
- Into the Houston tiger mystery has stepped Carole Baskin. The star of the Tiger King has put up a $5,000 reward for the missing tiger's finder, TMZ reports, with several conditions attached. The tiger, India, has to be safely turned over to a sanctuary accredited by the Global...
Loose Tiger Roams
May 10, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
Loose Tiger Roams Houston Neighborhood
Its caretaker took off with animal before cops arrived
- Police in Houston are looking for a man who claimed to be "with the zoo" after a tiger apparently escaped from his residence and roamed the neighborhood. The tiger—which was wearing a collar—was confronted by an armed off-duty Waller County Sheriff's Office deputy who was nearby...
a Tiger on the
Loose in Tennessee
Sep 10, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
There's Apparently a Tiger on the Loose in Tennessee
Authorities in Knoxville are chasing down sightings
- A strange one out of Tennessee: Wildlife authorities in Knoxville are on the hunt for a tiger—yes, a tiger—after multiple sightings, reports WVLT . The first one came from a sheriff's deputy on Wednesday night near an industrial park, and multiple residents have since called in their own....
As Others Watched in Horror,
Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
Jul 6, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
As Others Watched in Horror, Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
55-year-old worker killed at Zurich Zoo in Switzerland
- A 5-year-old Siberian tiger attacked and killed a zookeeper Saturday at Switzerland's Zurich Zoo as other staff and guests looked on in horror. The BBC reports the attack on the 55-year-old keeper happened just after 1pm local time in the tiger enclosure, where Irina, the female tiger who went...
He Said a Pit Bull Mauled Him.
The Truth Was Much Stranger
in case you missed it
Apr 26, 2020 3:05 PM CDT
He Said a Pit Bull Mauled Him. The Truth Was Much Stranger
A look back at the 'Tiger King of Harlem'
- Years from now, millions of Americans' recollection of the pandemic will also include a memory of binge-watching Netflix's
. With that show high on everyone's current watchlist, in a piece for
Zaron Burnett III introduces us to another tiger king: one that, nearly 17 years...
Judge Gives 'Joe Exotic'
Exactly What He Wants
Apr 18, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Judge Gives 'Joe Exotic' Exactly What He Wants
Joseph Maldonado-Passage says he needs more time to argue for his lawsuit
- A former Oklahoma zookeeper who was sentenced to 22 years in prison for a murder-for-hire plot and federal wildlife violations has been granted an extra month to argue why his lawsuit challenging the convictions shouldn't be dismissed, the AP reports. Joseph Maldonado-Passage, also known as "Joe Exotic,"...
Just When You Thought
Apr 6, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Just When You Thought
Cast member Jeff Lowe says Netflix will air new episode 'next week'
- "Joe Exotic" has become a household name for anyone who's been holed up at home with a Netflix account, because
the "enthralling" and "disturbing" true-life series that documents the strange goings-on at the Oklahoma roadside zoo run by Joseph Maldonado-Passage and an equally strange...
Zoo Tiger Tests Positive
Apr 5, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
Zoo Tiger Tests Positive
Nadia, a 4-year-old Malayan, showed symptoms in March
- A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the US or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday, per the AP . The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia—and...
Is Enthralling, Disturbing
Mar 26, 2020 2:36 PM CDT
on Netflix Is Enthralling, Disturbing
People stranded by COVID-19 seem to be fascinated
- Americans stuck at home right now have a lot of time on their hands, and if social media is any guide, many appear to be spending it in the bizarre world of "Joe Exotic." That would be the man more formally known as Joseph Maldonado-Passage, who is the...
Old Perfume Taking Up Space?
Zoo's Big Cats Will Take It
Jan 30, 2020 3:33 PM CST
Old Perfume Taking Up Space? Zoo's Big Cats Will Take It
Banham Zoo puts out a call for perfume, cologne
- Have any old bottles of perfume or cologne lying around? Banham Zoo in Norfolk, England, will take them. The zoo says its lions, tigers, and leopards "respond very positively to unique scents when sprayed in their enclosures," and since their supplies are running low, they're hoping the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.