Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Planes Flew in From South
Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Nov 27, 2021 9:15 AM CST
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Dutch authorities are now testing passengers to see if they have worrisome omicron variant
- Two flights arrived in the Netherlands on Friday, bearing some 600 passengers from South Africa, and also a good number of COVID cases—and those people are now being tested to see if they've got the newly emerging omicron variant . Reuters reports that 61 of the flights' passengers who...
FAA Wants Fines of $160K
From 8 Airline Passengers
Nov 22, 2021 4:58 PM CST
FAA Wants Fines of $160K From 8 Airline Passengers
All of the disruptions involved alcohol
- Federal officials said Monday they are seeking more than $160,000 in fines from eight airline passengers over incidents involving alcohol. The Federal Aviation Administration said the biggest single proposed fine, topping $40,000, involves a passenger who brought alcohol on the plane and drank it, smoked marijuana in the...
37 Airline Passengers
Considered for Prosecution
Nov 5, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
37 Airline Passengers Considered for Prosecution
FAA has new process to send cases of misbehavior to FBI
- The Federal Aviation Administration says it has referred 37 cases involving unruly airline passengers to the FBI for possible criminal prosecution since the number of disruptions on flights began to spike in January. FAA and Justice Department officials said Thursday that in the past three months, they have developed a...
After Plane Lands,
Passenger Exits Onto Wing
Sep 30, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
After Plane Lands, Passenger Exits Onto Wing
Traveler at Miami International went out emergency door, likely faces federal charges
- In today's chronicle of bizarre behavior by airplane passengers , authorities at Miami International Airport say a man exited an emergency door and stood on the wing of his plane after it landed. The incident took place when an American Airlines flight from Colombia landed at the airport Wednesday evening,...
Passengers Kicked Off Flight,
Rest of Plane Celebrates
Sep 20, 2021 4:34 PM CDT
Passengers Kicked Off Flight, Rest of Plane Celebrates
Two people were forced to deplane after refusing to mask up properly
- Masks are required in airports and on commercial airliners. It’s not just a common-sense guideline to curtail the spread of COVID, it’s a federal law . And it’s not new; the rule has been in place since February . But it still seems to come as a surprise to...
Sep 3, 2021 9:22 AM CDT
Altercation Between Woman, Flight Attendant Turned Bloody
Passenger recorded May 23 encounter on Southwest Airlines flight
- A California woman is facing two felony charges after allegedly punching a flight attendant, who was left bloodied with three broken teeth. Vyvianna Quinonez of Antelope is charged with assault resulting in serious bodily injury and interfering with a flight crew—which could mean up to 20 years in prison...
United to Crew: Please Don't
Duct-Tape Unruly Passengers
Aug 17, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
United to Crew: Please Don't Duct-Tape Unruly Passengers
Exec says crew members should 'follow de-escalation process'
- United Airlines has asked its employees not to reach for the duct tape whenever they have a difficult passenger to deal with. In a recent memo seen by
, Senior Vice President of Inflight Services John Slate reminded crew members that disruptive passengers should not be taped to their seats...
FAA Makes Big
Ask of Airports to
Control Unruly Travelers
Aug 5, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
FAA Makes Big Ask of Airports to Control Unruly Travelers
Agency wants bars, restaurants to nix booze 'to go,' as passengers try to bring those drinks on board
- Multiple airlines have already cut back on serving alcohol in the air, due to a spike in incidents involving out-of-control passengers, and now the Federal Aviation Administration is appealing to airports to do their part. Per NBC News , FAA chief Steve Dickson's letter to airport managers on Tuesday noted...
Lawyer: Passenger 'Said the
Magic Words You Do Not Say'
Jul 13, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
Lawyer: Passenger 'Said the Magic Words You Do Not Say'
Wegal Rosen, 74, arrested after bomb scare at Fort Lauderdale airport
- A Canadian who lives part time in Florida never completed his trip to Ontario over the weekend after an incident that caused chaos at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. Per a police report and release cited by the
, Wegal Rosen, 74, became miffed on Saturday when he was told...
Southwest Keeps Flights Dry
After Passenger Clashes
May 28, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Southwest Keeps Flights Dry After Passenger Clashes
Alcohol service had been scheduled to resume this summer
- Southwest Airlines is delaying serving alcohol again on flights after an increase in incidents of unruly passengers. The airline was planning to resume selling alcohol next month on Hawaii flights and in July on other flights, the AP reports, a move that was questioned by the president of the union...
FAA Has 2.5K Reports
of Unruly Fliers This Year
May 24, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
FAA Has 2.5K Reports of Unruly Fliers This Year
Number of cases is way up this year, and air travel is getting busier
- The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday that mask violations account for about 1,900 of the 2,500 unruly passenger reports it has received this year. The agency usually handles 100 to 150 formal cases in a year. The FAA is weighing the allegations, Reuters reports, and said 395 of...
FAA: Told to Mask Up,
Passengers Got Physical
May 6, 2021 11:56 AM CDT
FAA: Told to Mask Up, Passengers Got Physical
Agency issues 4 fines totalling more than $67K
- Two travelers are facing a combined $50,000 in fines from the FAA, and not just for their lack of masks. Both are accused of assaulting flight attendants who called them out for their rule-breaking, per the
. A female passenger told to don a mask on a Feb. 7...
Frontier: Maskless Fliers, Not
Anti-Semitism, Canceled Flight
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 AM CST
Frontier: Maskless Fliers, Not Anti-Semitism, Canceled Flight
Flight out of Miami to NYC canceled after Sunday incident with Hasidic Jewish passengers
- A chaotic scene on a Frontier Airlines flight before takeoff ended with a group of Hasidic Jews being asked to leave, the entire plane eventually being emptied, and now, accusations of anti-Semitism—all over what the airline says was the group's refusal to wear face masks. The incident took...
FAA Plans $27K Fine, Saying
Passenger Hit Flight Attendant
Feb 26, 2021 4:39 PM CST
FAA Plans $27K Fine, Saying Passenger Hit Flight Attendant
Agency eliminated requirement to issue a warning before issuing penalty
- An airline passenger has 30 days to explain why he shouldn't be fined $27,500 for hitting a flight attendant in the face. The Federal Aviation Administration announced its proposed penalty Friday,
reports. The passenger was traveling with someone who refused to wear a mask on a...
He Asked Crew Member to
Wear a Mask. He Got Booted
Sep 9, 2020 12:09 PM CDT
He Asked Crew Member to Wear a Mask. He Got Booted
Allegiant Air says passenger was 'disruptive' during preflight safety briefing
- An Allegiant Air passenger was booted off a flight this week over a face mask dispute—but he wasn't the one not complying with the airline's policy. In the incident on a Monday flight from Punta Gorda, Fla., to Portsmouth, NH, the passenger reportedly told a flight attendant...
Jul 6, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
After Flight, Senator Slams Airline: 'Incredibly Irresponsible'
Trip on American spurs Jeff Merkley to introduce bill keeping middle seats from being filled in pandemic
- Jeff Merkley flew on American Airlines last week, and he wasn't happy with how his flight went—specifically, on how crowded it was in the midst of the pandemic. "How many Americans will die bc you fill middle seats, w/ your customers shoulder to shoulder, hour after hour,...
Passenger Refuses to Wear
Mask, Gets Kicked Off Plane
Jun 18, 2020 11:07 AM CDT
Passenger Refuses to Wear Mask, Gets Kicked Off Plane
'This is insane,' says the passenger, conservative activist Brandon Straka
- American Airlines started enforcing its mandatory face mask policy this week, much to the displeasure of conservative activist Brandon Straka. He was removed from a flight from New York to Dallas Wednesday after refusing to put a mask on and arguing with flight attendants who told him it was required,...
Was Bad Before?
Try Flying During
May 8, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
Think Flying Was Bad Before? Try Flying During Pandemic
'Surreal' and 'dystopian,' writes McKay Coppins, who detailed his experience for the 'Atlantic'
- "Why did I think flying would be easy right now?" That was the question a frustrated McKay Coppins asked himself late last month when he took his first flight since the pandemic shut down the US. As he documents for the
, Coppins was initially excited at the thought...
Its 'New Flying
Apr 28, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Airline Announces Its 'New Flying Etiquette'
JetBlue will now require all passengers to wear masks 'throughout their journey'
- As airlines struggle with the travel havoc wreaked by the coronavirus, one has become the first to implement a new safety measure to try to control the virus' spread. Business Insider reports that starting May 4, JetBlue will mandate its passengers don face coverings not just for their flight, but...
A Jarring Notification on
Flight: You Have Coronavirus
Mar 13, 2020 8:26 AM CDT
A Jarring Notification on Flight: You Have Coronavirus
JetBlue bans passenger who found out his test came back positive
- A passenger who flew from New York to Florida found out he tested positive for the new coronavirus while on the plane, and now he won't be flying JetBlue anymore. CNN reports that, per the airline, the unidentified man got the notification of his test results while traveling from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
Somebody Torched the Christmas Tree at Fox News HQ
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.