Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Newlyweds to Blame
for Palm Sunday
Church Bombing: Officials
Mar 30, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Newlyweds to Blame for Palm Sunday Church Bombing: Officials
Suicide bombers in Indonesia were married 6 months before attack in Makassar, authorities say
- A recently married couple with suspected militant links used pressure cooker bombs to blow themselves up outside a Roman Catholic cathedral during Palm Sunday Mass, Indonesian officials said Monday. The attack wounded 20 people, including four church guards, and broke windows at the church and nearby buildings in Makassar, the...
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019:
He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Dec 30, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019: He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Pamela Perry reportedly warned cops about Nashville bomber Anthony Warner
- After the Christmas morning RV explosion that wreaked havoc in Nashville, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said suspected bomber Anthony Quinn Warner—who died in the blast that injured at least eight people, seriously damaged dozens of buildings, and disrupted telecommunications across the Southeast—had not been "on our...
Media Won't Call Nashville
Bomber What He Is
Dec 29, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Media Won't Call Nashville Bomber What He Is
He's a suicide bomber and a domestic terrorist, writes a Refinery29 columnist
- The Nashville narrative is pretty clear: Authorities say Anthony Quinn Warner packed his RV with explosives and blew it and himself up on Christmas while parked downtown. He was, by the most basic definition of the term, a suicide bomber. And yet you'd be hard-pressed to find the phrase...
Sri Lanka Bans Face
Coverings, Including Veils
Apr 29, 2019 2:17 AM CDT
Sri Lanka Bans Face Coverings, Including Veils
Law bans garments that 'hinder identification'
- Muslim women in Sri Lanka will no longer be able to veil their faces under an emergency law ordered by President Maithripala Sirisena that bans all kinds of face coverings that may conceal people's identities. The law takes effect Monday, eight days after the Easter bombings of churches and...
Sri Lankan Official:
the 'Worrying Factor'
Apr 24, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Sri Lankan Official: the 'Worrying Factor' About Suspects
Defense minister says it appears many bombing suspects lived, studied abroad
- The Islamic State has claimed credit for helping suicide bombers pull off the Easter weekend attacks in Sri Lanka, and the nation's defense minister is now citing a "worrying factor" about them. "Most of them are well-educated and come from middle- or upper-middle class [families], so they...
A Month After Trump
Declared Victory in Syria,
US Soldiers Killed
Jan 16, 2019 10:40 AM CST
A Month After Trump Declared Victory in Syria, US Soldiers Killed
As many as 4 US service members may have been killed in suicide bomber attack
- It may have been the deadliest attack against US forces in Syria yet: A suicide bomber detonated an explosive vest amid international forces on a routine patrol in the northern town of Manbij Wednesday. It's not yet clear how many US service members were killed; per Bloomberg , the Trump...
Suicide Bomber Hits
Gathering of Top Clerics
Jun 4, 2018 12:44 AM CDT
Suicide Bomber Hits Gathering of Top Clerics
At least 7 killed in Kabul attack
- A suicide bombing targeted a gathering of Afghanistan's top clerics on Monday in Kabul, killing at least seven people and wounding nine, police say. Shortly before the attack, the clerics had issued a fatwa against suicide bombings and urged peace talks to end the Afghan war. Ghafor Aziz, police...
The Girls Are Made Beautiful,
With a 'Deadly Consequence'
Feb 8, 2018 11:05 AM CST
The Girls Are Made Beautiful, With a 'Deadly Consequence'
A look at Boko Haram's use of female suicide bombers
- The Chibok girls were infamously taken by Boko Haram in 2014. That was the same year the group used a female suicide bomber for the first time. Writing for the BBC , Vladimir Hernandez and Stephanie Hegarty look at the group's practice of using suicide bombers—noting the militants far...
He Grabbed a
in a 'Bear Hug,'
Saved Many Lives
Nov 17, 2017 5:10 PM CST
He Grabbed a Suicide Bomber in a 'Bear Hug,' Saved Many Lives
Police officer hailed as hero
- Fourteen people were killed Thursday when an ISIS-aligned suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest outside a hall in Kabul, Afghanistan, Thursday. But many more would have died were it not for Afghan Police Lt. Sayed Basam Pacha. Pacha suspected the man was a bomber and told him to stop; when...
Viral Anti-Terrorism Ad:
'Bomb Delusion With Truth'
May 31, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Viral Anti-Terrorism Ad: 'Bomb Delusion With Truth'
Telecom firm in Kuwait planned music video to launch at start of Ramadan
- As the Muslim holy month of Ramadan kicked off over the weekend, so, too, did an ad by a telecom company in Kuwait tackling terrorism. CNN reports on Zaid's three-minute music video , which has so far amassed more than 3.6 million views, showing a suicide bomber being confronted...
How ISIS Is Trying
to Be Like Japan's
Mar 3, 2017 12:04 PM CST
How ISIS Is Trying to Be Like Japan's Kamikaze Fighters
Military targets are now in terrorists' sights more than civilian ones
- Suicide bombing is nothing new in terrorism circles, but for Islamic State extremists, the tactic is getting a revamp. The
reports on a new study released Monday out of the International Centre for Counter-terrorism in the Hague that shows a definite shift in how jihadi are using the...
Turns ISIS Bomber
Feb 22, 2017 9:33 AM CST
Ex-Guantanamo Detainee Reportedly Turns ISIS Bomber
Relative says man in ISIS photo is Jamal al-Harith
- A man compensated by the UK government following his release from Guantanamo Bay in 2004 has reportedly died in a suicide bombing targeting a military base in Iraq. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack Monday, sharing a photo of the smiling British suicide bomber it identified as Abu...
Taliban Claims Twin Bombings
Near Afghan Defense Ministry
Sep 5, 2016 10:00 AM CDT
Taliban Claims Twin Bombings Near Afghan Defense Ministry
At least 24 killed, 91 wounded
- Twin bombings near the Afghan Defense Ministry have killed at least 24 people, including two security force generals, in an attack claimed by the Taliban, the AP reports. A Public Health Ministry spokesman says another 91 people were wounded in Monday's attack in central Kabul; Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq...
Jul 25, 2016 12:39 AM CDT
Syrian Bomber Kills Himself, Injures 12 in Germany
Cops say he blew himself up outside city's music festival
- Police in the southern German city of Ansbach say a man killed himself and injured 12 others Sunday night when he blew himself up after being turned away from an open-air music festival, the AP reports. He was a 27-year-old Syrian who had been denied asylum, Bavaria's top security...
Man With 'Suicide Belt' of
Cookies Nabbed in Brussels
Jun 21, 2016 9:47 AM CDT
Man With 'Suicide Belt' of Cookies Nabbed in Brussels
He claimed to have been enlisted by ISIS
- A man wearing a fake explosive belt filled with salt and cookies sparked a major security alert outside a downtown Brussels shopping center and an emergency meeting of government ministers Tuesday. Police say the man—known to police and thought to have had psychiatric problems, according to prosecutors—claimed to...
Bomber Sees Her
Feb 11, 2016 11:32 AM CST
Young Suicide Bomber Sees Her Siblings, Surrenders
But 2 other females blow themselves up in Nigerian camp, killing dozens
- Two young women welcomed into a Nigerian shelter for people fleeing Boko Haram turned on their newfound campmates on Tuesday, the
New York Times
reports, blowing themselves up and killing at least 58 people ( Reuters puts the number at more than 60, while Al Jazeera notes it's upward...
Pilot of Bombed Plane:
Somali Security Is 'Zero'
Feb 7, 2016 11:08 AM CST
Pilot of Bombed Plane: Somali Security Is 'Zero'
He also hopes it will be his last bomb
- The Serb pilot who landed a jetliner in Somalia with a large hole on its fuselage says he has never doubted that it was caused by a bomb and describes the security at Mogadishu Airport as "zero." After initially saying there was no sign of foul play, Somali...
Medal of Honor
Goes to Soldier Who
Nov 12, 2015 1:20 PM CST
Medal of Honor Goes to Soldier Who Tackled Bomber
President Obama also informs audience he's not the lead singer of Korn
- President Barack Obama said Thursday that a young Army captain who is the newest Medal of Honor recipient had the instincts and courage to tackle a suicide bomber in Afghanistan during a moment of selfless bravery, saving the lives of many comrades. Florent Groberg is the 10th living service member...
Bad Idea: Soldier's Suicide Bomber Costume
Nov 1, 2015 9:22 AM CST
Bad Idea: Soldier's Suicide Bomber Costume
Did not go over well at Fort Bragg
- Halloween and bad decision-making go together like chocolate and more chocolate, but it takes a certain and utter suspension of common sense to dress up like a suicide bomber—complete with an explosives vest, because why do things in half measures?—and try to get inside a United States military...
Politician's Lesson for Kids
Was on Kid Suicide Bombers
Sep 1, 2015 11:21 AM CDT
Politician's Lesson for Kids Was on Kid Suicide Bombers
Ariz. Rep. Matt Salmon also thought nuclear weapons made for lively conversation
- Matt Salmon's job was to show up at the San Tan Charter School and give a fun civics lesson to curious second- and third-graders. But the Arizona congressman's appearance last week veered off the topic of vetoes—using the Iran nuclear deal as an example, which the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Drought Ruins Crops, Shuts Off Milan's Fountains
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.