Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 14, 2022 2:35 AM CST
US Paralympic Swimming Champion Allegedly Sexually Abused Teammate
Lawsuit filed against Robert Griswold, 25
- Robert Griswold, a 25-year-old US Paralympic champion swimmer, is accused of grooming a younger teammate with intellectual and developmental disabilities starting last year, then sexually abusing him at the Tokyo Games last summer. A lawsuit filed against Griswold, who has cerebral palsy, also accuses him of continuing the abuse at...
Make It to Paralympics:
'It's a Miracle'
Mar 4, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Ukrainian Athletes Make It to Paralympics: 'It's a Miracle'
As war rages on back home, Paralympians converge on Beijing, with Russian athletes banned
- The Winter Paralympics open Friday in Beijing, with the Russian athletes sent home and the Ukrainian team escaping a war zone to get to China. "It's a miracle that we have made it to the Paralympics," Ukrainian delegation head Valerii Sushkevych said, per the AP . Russia's...
Paralympics Does U-Turn
on Russia, Belarus Athletes
Mar 3, 2022 4:28 AM CST
Paralympics Does U-Turn on Russia, Belarus Athletes
They're now banned from Beijing Games
- The 2022 Winter Paralympic Games kick off in Beijing Friday—and after an abrupt reversal from the International Paralympic Committee, athletes from Russia and Belarus will not be taking part. In a statement , IPC President Andrew Parsons said an "overwhelming number" of national committees had contacted the organization, with...
Because He Was
3 Minutes Late
Sep 1, 2021 9:49 AM CDT
Shot Putter Loses Gold Because He Was 3 Minutes Late
Malaysian athlete's fate causes controversy at Paralympics
- Controversy at the Paralympics Games: Malaysian shot putter Muhammad Ziyad Zolkefli appeared to have won gold in the shot put in the F20 class. But after the victory on Tuesday, he was disqualified because he had shown up three minutes late for the competition. International Paralympic Committee rep Craig Spence...
2 Evacuees Reach
Tokyo to Compete
Aug 28, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
2 Evacuees Reach Tokyo to Compete in Paralympics
International effort gets athletes safely out of Kabul, to Paris, then to the Paralympic Village
- An international, multi-organization effort has delivered two Kabul evacuees to Tokyo, by way of Paris, in time to compete in the 2020 Paralympics. Zakia Khudadadi and Hossain Rasouli have safely arrived in Paralympic Village, CNN reports. The Afghanistan Paralympic Committee had said they wouldn't be able to go to...
Open in Empty Stadium
Aug 24, 2021 7:29 PM CDT
2020 Paralympics Open in Empty Stadium
A volunteer carried Afghanistan's flag in Tokyo
- The Paralympics began Tuesday in the same empty National Stadium—during the same pandemic—as the opening and closing ceremonies of the recently completed Tokyo Olympics. Japanese Emperor Naruhito got it all started again, this time under the theme “We Have Wings.” Among the few on hand were...
Stands Will Be Empty
for Tokyo Paralympics
Aug 16, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
Stands Will Be Empty for Tokyo Paralympics
Rising coronavirus infections cause Japan to lengthen its state of emergency
- As they did with the just-completed 2020 Summer Olympics, fans will have to sit out the Paralympic Games, organizers announced Monday in Tokyo. The coronavirus situation is worsening in Japan, where the lambda variant has arrived and the government has extended its state of emergency until Sept. 12; the Games...
in case you missed it
Jul 24, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
2 Controversies, Same Theme: Female Athletes' Bottoms
One is told her briefs are too small, while a team is scolded for wearing bigger shorts
- Two different athletic controversies were making headlines Tuesday, but both revolved around the same theme—the clothes women wear during competition. In one case, an athlete was told by a judge that her briefs were too revealing. In the other, a handball team was scolded because they ditched bikini bottoms...
Deaf-Blind US Swimmer
Decision to Withdraw
Jul 20, 2021 6:46 PM CDT
Deaf-Blind US Swimmer Makes 'Gut-Wrenching' Decision to Withdraw
Becca Meyers is not being allowed to bring assistant to Paralympic Games
- An American swimmer who brought three golds and a silver home from Rio de Janiero in 2016 says she is heartbroken to be pulling out of the Tokyo Paralympic Games—but US Olympic authorities have left her no choice. Becca Meyers, who is deaf and blind, has been told she...
Oct 27, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
Ruling Finds Prostheses Make Runner Unfairly Tall
Blake Leeper sees an effort to keep disabled athletes out of Olympics
- Blake Leeper has been running in top events, including the Paralympics, with the help of prostheses for five years. He was working toward making the next US Olympic team, to compete against able-bodied runners. But Leeper, 31, hit a major obstacle Monday, when the top sports court in the world...
Paralympian Dies Trying
to Row Across Pacific Ocean
Jun 25, 2020 12:20 AM CDT
Paralympian Dies Trying to Row Across Pacific Ocean
Angela Madsen was attempting to set world record
- A spinal cord injury during her time in the Marines left Angela Madsen a paraplegic, but it didn't slow her down. She went to the Paralympics three times, including a 2012 trip during which she won bronze in the shot put event, and won several gold medals at the...
Famed Paralympian in
Coma After Terrible Crash
Jun 21, 2020 8:29 AM CDT
Famed Paralympian in Coma After Terrible Crash
'All of Italy is fighting with you,' PM tells Zanardi
- After a horrific CART racing crash in 2001 cost him both his legs, Alex Zanardi built his own prosthetics and made an incredible comeback as a Paralympic athlete, winning gold in handcycling four times. Now, a second horrific crash for Zanardi. The 53-year-old former Formula One driver was placed in...
Legally Ends Her Life
Oct 23, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
Paralympic Athlete Legally Ends Her Life
100m champ Marieke Vervoort was 40
- Paralympian athlete Marieke Vervoort made the most out of her life—and ended it at a time of her choosing. The 40-year-old died Tuesday by euthanasia, which is legal in Belgium. Vervoort, who won the 100 meters gold and 200 meters silver medals in wheelchair racing at the London Paralympics...
Big Surprise for
Nov 8, 2016 8:00 AM CST
Big Surprise for Strangers Who Helped Stranded Wheelchair Racer
Woman they assisted during NYC Marathon was Paralympic gold medalist Zou Lihong
- In a New York minute, a Paralympic athlete's distressing experience turned into an inspiring one thanks to a smartphone app and the kindness of strangers. The
New York Times
reports on the plight of Zou Lihong, a Chinese wheelchair racer who beat US favorite Tatyana McFadden to win gold...
Paralympics Ends With
Sep 19, 2016 2:07 AM CDT
Paralympics Ends With Celebration, Mourning
Brazil's 1,192-day run of mega-events is over
- The Paralympic Games came to an end Sunday night with a closing ceremony before 45,000 spectators at Rio's Maracana stadium filled with tributes to Bahman Golbarnezhad, the Iranian cyclist who died after a crash Saturday , the BBC reports. International Paralympic Committee president Philip Craven said the movement is...
Iranian Cyclist Killed
in Paralympics Crash
Sep 18, 2016 5:51 AM CDT
Iranian Cyclist Killed in Paralympics Crash
Bahman Golbarnezhad believed to be first athlete killed in Paralympics
- An Iranian cyclist died after crashing in a road race at the Rio de Janeiro Paralympics on Saturday. Bahman Golbarnezhad, 48, received emergency treatment on the course and was transported to a Rio hospital where he died, reports the AP . "This is truly heart-breaking news, and the thoughts and...
Improving Paralympian Tech
Sep 17, 2016 1:30 PM CDT
Improving Paralympian Tech Causes Controversy
Some worry technology is making double amputees unbeatable
- Here's how good technology for prosthetic running blades has become. The AP reports Greek runner Michail Seitis set a world record for his division with a time of 49.66 seconds in the men's 400-meter final on Thursday. He came in sixth place out of eight runners. The...
4 Paralympics Runners
Best Olympic Gold Time
Sep 13, 2016 12:15 PM CDT
4 Paralympics Runners Best Olympic Gold Time
Visually impaired athletes impressive in 1500 meters
- Four visually impaired runners in the 1500 meters at the Rio Paralympics Games just earned some bragging rights: All put up times better than the US runner who took gold in the same Olympics competition, reports the
. Their times ranged from 3:48.29 (by gold medal winner Abdellatif...
Gave Models Fake
Disabilities for Paralympics
Aug 26, 2016 5:57 PM CDT
Gave Models Fake Disabilities for Paralympics
And people aren't happy about it
is taking heat this week after Photoshopping physical disabilities onto models for a Paralympics promotion instead of using actual amputees as models. The BBC reports the fashion magazine posted the offending image to Instagram on Thursday. It features models Cleo Pires (with her arm erased) and Paulo Vilhena...
Aug 7, 2016 11:33 AM CDT
Team Russia Banned From Paralympics
Blanket ban for doping, unlike IOC's ruling
- The entire Russia team was banned from competing in the upcoming Paralympic Games on Sunday as punishment for the country's doping operation that polluted sports by prioritizing "medals over morals." The International Paralympic Committee's blanket ban on Russia is in sharp contrast to the earlier decision...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.