Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Evidence Raises Questions
About US Drone Strike
Sep 11, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Evidence Raises Questions About US Drone Strike
Driver could have been putting canisters of water, not explosives, in his vehicle
- Video footage and interviews in Kabul have raised questions about the Pentagon's account of the final, fatal US drone attack of the Afghanistan war. The drone struck a vehicle in a residential neighborhood on Aug. 29 that the military said carried explosives and was "an imminent ISIS-K threat"...
Hit Record High
Jan 29, 2020 11:25 AM CST
US Bombings in Afghanistan Hit Record High
7,423 munitions dropped in 2019, compared to 947 in 2015
- The US dropped more bombs on Afghanistan in 2019 than in any other year since the Pentagon began keeping track in 2006. A total of 7,423 munitions were dropped, up from 7,362 in 2018 and 4,361 in 2017, Military.com reports based on data from the US...
See Grim, New Low
Aug 3, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Afghanistan Civilians See Grim, New Low
July has worst civilian casualties since 2017
- July saw the highest number of civilian casualties in Afghanistan in a single month since 2017, the UN mission said Saturday, per the AP . Its preliminary findings indicate more than 1,500 civilians were killed or wounded, mainly due to a spike in casualties from insurgent attacks. It did not...
Amnesty: US Is Killing
Civilians in Somalia
Mar 20, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Amnesty: US Is Killing Civilians in Somalia
Pentagon disputes report
- There is credible evidence that US military airstrikes in Somalia have killed or wounded nearly two dozen civilians, an international human rights group said Tuesday, charging that the Pentagon is not adequately investigating potential casualties. US Africa Command officials immediately disputed the allegations laid out in a report by Amnesty...
US Military: 33 Civilians Killed
During Strike on Taliban
Jan 12, 2017 6:56 AM CST
US Military: 33 Civilians Killed During Strike on Taliban
Pentagon conducts investigation after mass casualties
- The US military's investigation into a November firefight with the Taliban has shown that 33 civilians died in the raid during which American troops fired on Afghan homes, reports the AP . The inquiry followed claims that civilian deaths resulted from airstrikes called in to support Afghan and US forces...
Man Sues After Drones
Kill His Relatives
Dec 14, 2016 4:45 PM CST
Man Sues After Drones Kill His Relatives
His appellate court hearing made history
- In August 2012, a US drone strike in Yemen killed two innocent men, and the US should apologize for their deaths, according to a historic lawsuit filed by Yemeni engineer Faisal bin Ali Jaber. Jaber, who wants the drone strike that killed his family members Ahmed Salem Bin Ali Jaber...
Nov 10, 2016 10:00 AM CST
US Doubles Estimated Civilian Airstrike Deaths
Military says 119 killed since 2014 in Iraq and Syria
- US Central Command says airstrikes in Iraq and Syria have killed at least 64 civilians during the past year, more than doubling the number of civilian deaths since renewed operations began in 2014, reports the
. On Wednesday, the Department of Defense released an official statement describing the review...
at Least 12 for
Mar 17, 2016 9:34 AM CDT
US Disciplines at Least 12 for Airstrike on Hospital
Strike on Doctors Without Borders hospital a 'tragic but avoidable accident'
- More than a dozen US military personnel have been disciplined, but face no criminal charges, for errors that led to the aerial attack on a civilian hospital that killed 42 people in northern Afghanistan last year, say US defense officials speaking anonymously. Per the AP , the officials say the disciplinary...
Details, Mr. President
Mar 16, 2015 12:44 PM CDT
ACLU Suit: Spill Killer-Drone Details, Mr. President
Complaint says administration has been stonewalling about 'kill list' since 2013
- In October 2013, the ACLU filed a FOIA request to find out more about the US counterterrorism drone program, the
reports. Since then, the Obama administration has fought "tooth-and-nail" against releasing documents and "failed to follow through on … commitments to openness," the ACLU said today...
Jumped 22%: UN
Feb 18, 2015 8:25 AM CST
Afghan Civilian Casualties Have Jumped 22%: UN
Taliban responsible for 72% of them, report says
- The number of civilians killed or wounded in fighting in Afghanistan climbed by 22% in 2014 to reach the highest level in five years as foreign troops concluded their combat mission, the UN says in an annual report released today. The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan in 2014 documented 10,...
Drone in Yemen
Kills 9 al-Qaeda
Apr 19, 2014 4:30 PM CDT
Drone in Yemen Kills 9 al-Qaeda Suspects: Officials
3 civilians killed in attack: reports
- A drone strike in southern Yemen killed at least nine suspected al-Qaeda militants and three civilians today, authorities said. A Yemeni military official said the strike hit a vehicle carrying the militants in the Sawmaa area in the al-Bayda province as another car carrying civilians passed by. A medical official...
Is a 'Myth'
Mar 3, 2014 8:44 AM CST
Karzai: al-Qaeda Is a 'Myth'
Outgoing leader vents frustrations with US
- Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai says he's "done enough; it’s time for me to move on." But ahead of April's elections to replace him, Karzai is reflecting on his time as president—and his anger at the US government—in a lengthy
There's a Secret Provision
in Congress' Spending Bill
Jan 16, 2014 7:54 AM CST
There's a Secret Provision in Congress' Spending Bill
It would kill Obama's plans to take the drone program out of CIA hands
- Congress' $1.1 trillion spending bill contains a secret provision torpedoing President Obama's plans to pass the drone program from the CIA to the Pentagon. In a classified annex, the bill specifically prohibits any funds being used to facilitate such a transfer, the
reports. Obama wants to...
What It's Like to Pilot a Drone
Dec 30, 2013 1:48 PM CST
What It's Like to Pilot a Drone
Heather Linebaugh says she was always afraid she'd killed the wrong people
- When politicians and military officials make the US and British drone programs sound like an expert, high-precision affair, Heather Linebaugh has the urge to ask some questions. Like: Why do they feel the need to deliver false , limited , or misleading statistics about civilian casualties? "How many women and children...
US: Sorry About
Drone Strike That
Nov 29, 2013 3:55 PM CST
US: Sorry About Drone Strike That Killed Child
Top commander apologizes to Hamid Karzai
- The top US commander in Afghanistan apologized to President Hamid Karzai for a drone strike that killed a child and NATO promised an investigation today as rising tensions threatened efforts to persuade the Afghan leader to sign a long-delayed security agreement. Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford called Karzai late yesterday to...
'War on Childhood' Has
Killed 11K Kids in Syria
Nov 25, 2013 3:03 AM CST
'War on Childhood' Has Killed 11K Kids in Syria
Snipers, death squads target children as jihadists make gains
- The horrific toll civil war is taking on the children of Syria is laid bare in the first major report to focus on the issue. At least 11,420 children, more than a tenth of the conflict's casualties, have been killed since the conflict began in March 2011, including...
25% of Drone
Victims as 'Other'
Jun 6, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
CIA Classified 25% of Drone Victims as 'Other'
Agency often didn't know who it was targeting in Pakistan: report
- As it pursued suspected terrorists in Pakistan, the CIA wasn't always certain of the identity of those it was killing: Some 25% of those taken out by drones over a span of 14 months beginning in September 2010 were categorized as "other militants," NBC News finds after...
NATO Airstrike Kills at Least 10 Kids: Afghanistan
Apr 7, 2013 8:42 AM CDT
NATO Airstrike Kills at Least 10 Kids: Afghanistan
During fierce fighting in Kunar province
- At least 11 civilians have been killed in a NATO airstrike yesterday in eastern Afghanistan, reports the AP . The number of dead ranges widely, but a local official in Kunar province says that they include at least 10 children and one woman. Their deaths occurred yesterday when the airstrike destroyed...
4 Afghan Cops,
2 Civilians Dead
in NATO Airstrike
Apr 4, 2013 4:13 AM CDT
4 Afghan Cops, 2 Civilians Dead in NATO Airstrike
Planes called amid Taliban attack on police post: officials
- Four police officers and a pair of civilians have been killed in a NATO airstrike in Afghanistan's Ghazni province, Afghan officials tell AFP . NATO planes had been summoned to help officers at a police post under Taliban attack. "The NATO planes went there to assist the police, but...
6K Dead Make
Apr 2, 2013 3:33 AM CDT
6K Dead Make March Syria's Bloodiest Month
Death rate hits 200 per day as conflict grinds on
- The death rate in Syria's civil war is accelerating, with more than 6,000 deaths making March the deadliest month of the conflict that began more than two years ago. The deaths include hundreds of women and children as well as a large number of rebel fighters and government...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.