Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 101 - 120 |
by Biden's Fed Move
Nov 22, 2021 3:38 PM CST
Markets Reassured by Biden's Fed Move
But late drop robbed S&P 500 of record high
- A late drop robbed the S&P 500 of another record high on Wall Street Monday and left major indexes mostly lower after being up for much of the day. The S&P 500 ended 0.3% lower. It was up as much as 1% earlier. The Nasdaq fell 1....
Visa Dives 4.7% After
Big Move From Amazon
Nov 17, 2021 3:44 PM CST
Visa Dives 4.7% After Big Move From Amazon
Company will no longer accept UK-issued Visa cards
- Stock indexes shuffled lower on Wall Street Wednesday, pulling a bit further off their record heights. The bond market was relatively calm following turbulent trading recently amid worries about high inflation. The yield on the 10-year Treasury fell to 1.59%. Shorter-term yields also fell, giving up a portion of...
Report on Consumer Spending
Gives Markets a Boost
Nov 16, 2021 3:44 PM CST
Report on Consumer Spending Gives Markets a Boost
Government says consumers stepped up their spending despite inflation
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday as investors reviewed solid earnings reports from retailers and an encouraging update on consumer spending. Home Depot rose 5.8% after the home improvement retailer reported surging sales and solid profits last quarter amid a hot housing market, the AP reports. New data...
Casper Surges 89%
on Buyout News
Nov 15, 2021 3:37 PM CST
Casper Surges 89% on Buyout News
Major indexes were little changed
- Major indexes ended a wobbly day mostly lower on Wall Street as the market comes off its first weekly loss in six weeks. The S&P 500 ended little changed and the Dow Jones Industrial Average edged barely higher, the AP reports. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose...
Hits Markets Hard
Nov 10, 2021 3:39 PM CST
Inflation Report Hits Markets Hard
Dow dropped 240 points
- An eye-opening report on inflation that was hotter than expected slammed into the bond market on Wednesday, sending yields jumping, and helping knock stocks lower, the AP reports. The sharpest inflation since 1990 forced investors to boost bets that the Federal Reserve will have to raise short-term interest rates more...
Markets' Longest Winning
Streak Since 2019 Is Over
Nov 9, 2021 3:55 PM CST
Markets' Longest Winning Streak Since 2019 Is Over
Tesla drops another 12%
- US stocks closed lower Tuesday, ending the market’s longest winning streak in more than two years. The S&P 500 fell 0.4%. The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.3% and the Nasdaq fell 0.6%. Tesla slumped again, losing 12% after its CEO Elon Musk said over...
$1T Infrastructure Bill
Boosts Construction Stocks
Nov 8, 2021 3:43 PM CST
$1T Infrastructure Bill Boosts Construction Stocks
S&P 500 hits record high after 8th straight gain
- Stocks notched some modest gains on Wall Street Monday, enough to mark more record highs for major US indexes. The S&P 500 edged up 0.1% for its eighth straight gain, matching its longest winning streak since April 2019, though most of the gains during that stretch have been...
Stocks Hit More Record Highs
After Fed Announcement
Nov 3, 2021 3:48 PM CDT
Stocks Hit More Record Highs After Fed Announcement
Activision, Zillow were among the day's losers
- Stocks climbed to more record highs Wednesday after the Federal Reserve said it will begin dialing back the extraordinary aid for the economy it has been providing since the early days of the pandemic. The S&P 500 rose 29.92 points, or 0.6%, to 4,660.57. The...
Dow Closes Over 36K
for the First Time
Nov 2, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Dow Closes Over 36K for the First Time
S&P 500 also hit a new record
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday, pushing the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its first close above 36,000 points. The Dow added 138.79 points, or 0.4%, and closed at 36,052.63. The S&P 500 rose 16.98 points, or 0.4%, to 4,630....
Tesla Jumps 8.5%
as Major Indexes
Reach Record Highs
Nov 1, 2021 4:12 PM CDT
Tesla Jumps 8.5% as Major Indexes Reach Record Highs
Dow was up 94 points
- Stocks ended a wobbly day modestly higher on Wall Street, enough to notch more all-time highs for major indexes. The S&P 500 rose 8.29 points, or 0.2%, to 4,613.67. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 94.28 points, or 0.3%, to 35,913.84....
Dow Drops 266 Points
as Markets Pull Back
Oct 27, 2021 3:58 PM CDT
Dow Drops 266 Points as Markets Pull Back
Tech gains helped counter some of the losses
- Stocks faded in the last hour of trading and ended mostly lower Wednesday, a day after the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average set their latest record highs. Several big technology companies posted solid gains, led by Microsoft, which reported a 24% surge in profits last quarter...
UPS Jumps 6.8%
After Beating Forecasts
Oct 26, 2021 3:56 PM CDT
UPS Jumps 6.8% After Beating Forecasts
Dow, S&P 500 hit record highs
- Stocks held on to modest gains on Wall Street Tuesday, pushing the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average further into record heights. The S&P 500 added 0.2% and the Dow edged up less than 0.1%. Solid earnings from several companies helped push stock prices...
Tesla Jumps 12.7% After
Hertz Deal Announced
Oct 25, 2021 3:56 PM CDT
Tesla Jumps 12.7% After Hertz Deal Announced
Dow, S&P 500 hit record highs
- Wall Street notched some more record highs on Monday as a better-than-expected profit reporting season gets into higher gear. The S&P 500 rose 0.5%, surpassing the peak it set on Thursday. Tesla jumped 12.7% to the biggest gain in the S&P 500 after Hertz said it...
Strong Health Care Earnings
Push Indexes Near New Highs
Oct 20, 2021 4:11 PM CDT
Strong Health Care Earnings Push Indexes Near New Highs
Pinterest jumps 12.8% amid acquisition rumors
- Solid earnings from health care companies helped send stocks higher on Wall Street Wednesday and pushed the benchmark S&P 500 to the brink of another record high. The market has been gaining ground as investors shift their focus to the latest round of corporate earnings. The S&P 500...
First Bitcoin ETF
Jumps 4.8% in Market Debut
Oct 19, 2021 3:54 PM CDT
First Bitcoin ETF Jumps 4.8% in Market Debut
S&P 500 is closing in on record high
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday, giving the S&P 500 its fifth straight gain and getting it closer to the record high it set in early September. The Dow Jones Industrial Average and the Nasdaq also closed higher. Health care companies made some of the biggest gains. Johnson...
Markets Lose Momentum
After Best Week Since July
Oct 18, 2021 3:46 PM CDT
Markets Lose Momentum After Best Week Since July
Tech stocks rose; health stocks were down
- Stocks wobbled to a mixed finish on Wall Street Monday as the market’s momentum slowed down following its best week since July. The S&P 500 index rose 0.3% but the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.1%. Gains in several big technology companies helped push the Nasdaq...
in S&P 500
Oct 13, 2021 3:48 PM CDT
Delta Was Biggest Loser in S&P 500
Airline drops 5.8% after warning that fuel, labor costs could hit profits
- Stocks ended another day of choppy trading modestly higher Wednesday, enough to break a three-day losing streak for the S&P 500. The benchmark index rose 0.3%. Delta Air Lines fell 5.8%, the most in the S&P 500, after warning that higher fuel and labor costs could...
Stocks Slip as Investors
Await Inflation Data
Oct 12, 2021 3:46 PM CDT
Stocks Slip as Investors Await Inflation Data
Labor Department releases 2 big updates this week
- Stocks ended an up-and-down day mostly lower on Wall Street as traders wait for more data on inflation and corporate earnings this week. The S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and the Nasdaq fell. Small-company stocks ended higher. A mix of retailers and other companies that rely on...
After Early Gains
Oct 11, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Stocks Fizzle After Early Gains
But energy stocks did well after crude price rose above $80 a barrel
- Stocks closed broadly lower after a day of choppy trading on Wall Street Monday as investors prepared for a busy week of corporate earnings and inflation updates. The major indexes made early gains, but slowly fizzled as the day progressed, the AP reports. The S&P 500 fell 30.15...
Energy Prices Retreat,
Easing Inflation Fears
Oct 6, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Energy Prices Retreat, Easing Inflation Fears
Natural gas dived 9.7%
- Stocks closed slightly higher on Wall Street Wednesday as investors shook off a bout of volatility after nearly a week of high volatility. Major indexes recovered from early losses after Senator Mitch McConnell offered Democrats a short-term extension of the debt ceiling , relieving some of the uncertainty over a possible...
Stories 101 - 120 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Trump at State AG Deposition: I Plead the Fifth
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Son Charged With Murdering His Punk Pioneer Father
Family: Body at Wake Reeked, Face 'Looked Like It Was Caved In'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.