Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Vote to Leave
Jan 14, 2022 2:25 PM CST
Another GOP Impeachment Vote to Leave
Rep. John Katko won't run again after supporting Jan. 6 panel, infrastructure bill
- Rep. John Katko announced Friday that he won't seek reelection from his New York district, making him the third of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach former President Donald Trump to decide to go home. "My conscience, principles and commitment to do what's right have...
in a Tense Call
Nov 29, 2021 4:17 PM CST
Omar, Boebert Argue Apology in a Tense Call and Afterward
Members' conversation about anti-Muslim story doesn't settle the issue
- After Rep. Lauren Boebert told an anecdote about mistaking Rep. Ilhan Omar for a terrorist , House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy suggested the Colorado Republican call the offended Democrat and just talk it out. Boebert and Omar talked Monday, but the conversation didn't defuse the situation, the Hill reports. Afterward,...
Greene Wants Congress'
Highest Honor for Rittenhouse
Nov 25, 2021 7:19 AM CST
Greene Wants Congress' Highest Honor for Rittenhouse
Teen who killed 2 men is 'a hero who defended his community,' she says
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene wants to see Kyle Rittenhouse join George Washington, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Jr., and the Dalai Lama in receiving the legislative branch's highest honor. The Republican congresswoman introduced a bill Tuesday to award the Congressional Gold Medal to Rittenhouse, who fatally shot two people...
Among Republicans, Worries
Raised About Infighting
Nov 18, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Among Republicans, Worries Raised About Infighting
Senate Republicans unhappy with counterparts in the House
- By most political forecasts—including this new one at
—Republicans stand a good chance of retaking the House next year. But another theme is emerging in coverage as well: Friction within the House GOP is getting worse and threatening to hurt the party's progress. The Hill...
GOP Trump Critic Kinzinger
Won't Run for Reelection
Oct 29, 2021 9:56 AM CDT
GOP Trump Critic Kinzinger Won't Run for Reelection
Illinois congressman says he's not done with politics, however
- One of the GOP's most vocal critics of former President Trump will not run for reelection in the House next year. Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois announced his decision in a video Friday morning, reports CNN . "I also remember during [my 2009] campaign saying that if I ever...
GOP Congressman Who Made
'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Oct 4, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
GOP Congressman Who Made 'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Mo.'s Todd Akin, who made inflammatory comment about abortion and women's bodies, has died at 74
- Former US Rep. Todd Akin, a conservative Missouri Republican whose comment that women's bodies have a way of avoiding pregnancies in cases of "legitimate rape" sunk his bid for the US Senate, and who became a cautionary tale for other GOP candidates, died late Sunday. He was 74....
McCarthy Pulls All Jan. 6 Picks
After Pelosi Objects to 2
Jul 21, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
McCarthy Pulls All Jan. 6 Picks After Pelosi Objects to 2
He refuses to submit any names after Pelosi rejects Trump allies
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy submitted his picks for the committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack Tuesday. But the Republican included two congressmen, Reps. Jim Banks of Indiana and Jim Jordan of Ohio, who vocally supported objections to finishing the electoral vote count and formalizing President Biden’s election....
Changing Earth's Orbit
in case you missed it
Jun 13, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Lawmaker Suggests Changing Earth's Orbit
'That would have profound effects on our climate,' said GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert
- A Republican lawmaker from Texas is curious to know whether we could alter our planet's orbit to address climate change. Rep. Louie Gohmert was attending a House Natural Resources Committee hearing Tuesday when he noted that a past NASA director had told him the orbits of the Earth and...
House Dems Push Back
on GOP Mask Rebellion
May 20, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
House Dems Push Back on GOP Mask Rebellion
Resolution filed by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy to nix mask mandate on House floor fails
- The face mask war continues in Congress, with battle lines continuing to be drawn along party lines. Last week, House members were informed by the group's attending physician that they'd need to keep wearing masks on the House floor (unless they were speaking) and during committee meetings, even...
Defy Mask Rule
May 19, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
10 House Republicans Defy Mask Rule in Chamber
3 are fined $500 each, 7 issued warnings
- Ten House Republicans, in defiance of coronavirus rules imposed in January, removed their masks in the chamber Tuesday. Three of them—Brian Mast of Florida, Beth Van Duyne of Texas, and Mariannette Miller-Meeks of Iowa—will be fined $500 for going maskless on the House floor, and face $2,500...
Proposed Capitol Attack
Probe Dealt 'Serious Setback'
May 18, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Proposed Capitol Attack Probe Dealt 'Serious Setback'
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy won't support it
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said Tuesday he won't support bipartisan legislation to establish a 9/11-style commission to investigate the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, dealing "a serious setback" to the motion headed for a Wednesday vote, per Reuters . "Given the political misdirections that have marred this process,...
House Republicans Give
Stefanik No. 3 Post
May 14, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
House Republicans Give Stefanik No. 3 Post
New York congresswoman will replace Liz Cheney
- Republicans vaulted New York Rep. Elise Stefanik into the ranks of House leadership Friday, electing an ardent Donald Trump defender in hopes of calming their searing civil war over the deposed Rep. Liz Cheney's unremitting combat with the former president. Stefanik, a moderate turned Trump loyalist who's given...
'Bring It On,'
of Primary Fight
May 13, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
'Bring It On,' Cheney Says of Primary Fight
Warning about Trump's hold on the party, ousted leader won't rule out running for president
- Rep. Liz Cheney foreshadowed a lengthy struggle for control of the Republican Party in an interview Thursday, a battle that could include a primary challenge for her, an effort to keep former President Trump from winning back his old job, and possibly a criminal investigation of his conduct surrounding the...
May 12, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Cheney Vote Disturbs White House
McCarthy backs bipartisanship after meeting with Biden
- On the sidelines for this political battle, the Biden administration expressed concern Wednesday about House Republicans' decision to remove Rep. Liz Cheney from her leadership position. Cheney had refused to endorse former President Trump's version of the outcome of the presidential election last November. "It's disturbing to...
Liz Cheney Gets Booted,
Speaks Out Against Trump
May 12, 2021 8:22 AM CDT
Liz Cheney Gets Booted, Speaks Out Against Trump
As expected, vote does not go in her favor
- Rep. Liz Cheney made no effort to convince colleagues to vote in her favor in Wednesday's vote, and as expected they did not do so. She has been booted out of the No. 3 leadership post in the Republican conference. It was a voice vote, meaning there is no...
Cheney Vote Could
Backfire on McCarthy
May 11, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Cheney Vote Could Backfire on McCarthy
Reports emerge of brewing backlash against House minority leader
- Liz Cheney does indeed appear to be in her final day in a leadership post among House Republicans. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy sent a letter to rank-and-file members of the GOP on Monday telling them to expect the vote to happen Wednesday, reports Fox News . Coverage:
He's Backing Stefanik
May 9, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
McCarthy Says He's Backing Stefanik
Liz Cheney could be ousted from her post as soon as Wednesday
- The likelihood of Rep. Elise Stefanik becoming the No. 3 House Republican in the coming days got even higher on Sunday. In an appearance on Fox News'
Sunday Morning Futures,
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy gave his public backing to Stefanik as the replacement for Rep. Liz Cheney, saying "...
House's No. 2 Comes Out
Against Liz Cheney
May 5, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
House's No. 2 Comes Out Against Liz Cheney
Rep. Steve Scalise backs Elise Stefanik to take Cheney's post
- The tide turned more sharply against Rep. Liz Cheney on Wednesday with the No. 2 House Republican publicly calling for her ouster from her post over her continuing criticism of former President Trump . Rep. Steve Scalise, the House GOP whip, said via a statement that he's in favor of...
Apr 15, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Vote Establishes Commission on Slavery Reparations
House Judiciary Committee advances bill HR 40
- A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue. It's the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation, per the AP . Still, prospects for final passage...
Marjorie Taylor Greene's
Q1 Fundraising Haul Is Wild
Apr 7, 2021 12:37 PM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene's Q1 Fundraising Haul Is Wild
She thanks more than 100K donors
- In her first few months in office, freshman Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene has attacked fellow Republicans , been mocked for supporting wild conspiracy theories like "Jewish space lasers" starting wildfires, and been kicked off two House committee. A lot of donors apparently liked what they saw. Sources tell Politico that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.