Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Parents Lose Fight
to Keep Baby From
Getting Vaccinated Blood
Dec 7, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Parents Lose Fight to Keep Baby From Getting Vaccinated Blood
New Zealand's health service granted temporary medical custody
- A 4-month-old boy in need of heart surgery was on Wednesday ordered into the temporary medical custody of health officials by a New Zealand court, in a contentious case that has attracted international press. His parents have refused to proceed with the surgery unless their son only be given blood...
Doctor Removes Tumor
From Patient Not Born Yet
Dec 27, 2021 12:53 PM CST
Doctor Removes Tumor From Patient Not Born Yet
Surgery at Cleveland Clinic is thought to be only the second of its kind worldwide
- A surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio successfully removed a rare tumor from the heart of his patient, but even rarer were the circumstances—the patient had yet to be born. As News5Cleveland reports, it's only the second time worldwide such an operation has been successfully performed. The...
Man's Back Surgery
Led to Cement Piercing Heart
Oct 6, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Man's Back Surgery Led to Cement Piercing Heart
Man recovering from complication of kyphoplasty surgery: report
- A man who visited an emergency room with chest pain and shortness of breath turned out to have a thin, 4-inch-long piece of cement piercing his heart. As
reports, the problem stemmed from a back surgery the 56-year-old had undergone the previous week. Kyphoplasty involves the injecting of...
Palace: Prince Philip's Heart
Procedure Was a Success
Mar 4, 2021 12:01 AM CST
Palace: Prince Philip's Heart Procedure Was a Success
99-year-old will remain hospitalized 'for a number of days'
- Prince Philip has had a successful heart procedure at a London hospital, Buckingham Palace said Thursday. The palace says the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, "underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital," the AP reports. “...
The 'Terminator' Just Got
Another Body Upgrade
Oct 24, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
The 'Terminator' Just Got Another Body Upgrade
Arnold Schwarzenegger, 73, has heart surgery to get a new aortic valve
- Even the "Terminator" gets laid up now and again.
reports that actor and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is on the mend after undergoing heart surgery in Cleveland. "Thanks to the team at the Cleveland Clinic, I have a new aortic valve to go along with my...
Kim Jong Un's
Apr 26, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Experts Watch Kim Jong Un's 'Personal Train'
Is the North Korean leader dead? Has his younger sister already seized power?
- Kim Jong Un is in a "vegetative state" or flat-out dead after a failed heart surgery. Or he's got COVID-19. Or just a sprained ankle. The rumor mill is turning after reports emerged that a Chinese medical team had been dispatched to help North Korea's leader in...
Survives Health Scare
Mar 6, 2020 1:46 AM CST
JPMorgan Chief Survives Health Scare
Jamie Dimon had emergency heart surgery
- JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon is recovering from another health scare, six years after he survived throat cancer . The bank says the CEO is "recovering well" after emergency heart surgery Thursday to treat an acute aortic dissection—a separation of tissues in the aorta wall, which is often fatal....
After 'Tragedy of
Jan 2, 2020 10:00 AM CST
After 'Tragedy of Errors,' Woman Awarded Millions
Carolyn Boerste had to have leg amputated after nurses left sponge in her
- A woman whose leg was amputated six years after undergoing heart surgery was awarded $10.5 million by a jury last month, after what her lawyers say was a "tragedy of errors" by multiple medical personnel. "Everything has changed," Carolyn Boerste says, per WAVE , which along with...
Neil Armstrong's Death
Holds a Darker Backstory
Jul 24, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Neil Armstrong's Death Holds a Darker Backstory
Family settled with hospital where he died in 2012 for $6M over alleged wrongful death
- Neil Armstrong's family received $6 million to settle a wrongful death claim after experts said the astronaut's Aug. 25, 2012 death may have been preventable. The news is only now being reported by the
New York Times
, which received documents relating to the settlement from an anonymous sender,...
2 Get Life-Saving
Surgery After Tip
From Apple Watch
Jul 17, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
2 Get Life-Saving Surgery After Tip From Apple Watch
Device alerted UK men to irregular heartbeats
- Two UK men have received life-saving surgery after their Apple Watches alerted them to irregular heartbeats. Paul Hutton of Bradfield, Essex, first visited a doctor after his Apple Watch—updated in September to notify users of irregular heart rates—alerted him that his rate kept dropping below 40 beats per...
Schwarzenegger's First Words
After Heart Surgery
Mar 31, 2018 6:00 AM CDT
Schwarzenegger's First Words After Heart Surgery
'I'm back,' according to a spokesman
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is doing fine after emergency open-heart surgery , his spokesman says. In fact, the 70-year-old's first words upon waking Friday were, "I'm back," a riff on his famous "I'll be back" catchphrase, writes rep Daniel Ketchell. The former governor was undergoing a planned...
Baby Born With
Chest Is 'Beyond
Dec 13, 2017 11:05 AM CST
Baby Born With Heart Outside Chest Is 'Beyond a Miracle'
After 3 surgeries, Vanellope Hope Wilkins, said to be first UK baby to survive condition, is 'doing well'
- Nine weeks into her pregnancy, Naomi Findlay was told "termination" was the only option. The fetus in her womb was growing a heart—but in a rare case of ectopia cordis, it was outside of the body, as was a portion of the stomach, giving the fetus less than...
There's a Reason
Surgery Is Best
Nov 2, 2017 11:35 AM CDT
There's a Reason Afternoon Heart Surgery Is Best
Heart genes aren't in top form in the morning: scientists
- Should you ever need heart surgery, it might be worth pressing for an afternoon appointment. New research in the
finds patients who undergo morning heart surgery are twice as likely to suffer heart issues and other complications as patients who have surgery in the afternoon, per the BBC . It'...
In Possible World
First, Heart Surgery
Saves Baby in Womb
Jul 26, 2017 7:57 AM CDT
In Possible World First, Heart Surgery Saves Baby in Womb
Doctors in Canada perform in utero balloon atrial septoplasty
- Doctors in Canada are patting themselves on the back after what is believed to be a first-of-its-kind heart surgery that saved the life of an unborn child. Halfway through her pregnancy, Kristine Barry of Barrie, Ont., learned her unborn son had a heart defect in which the two main arteries...
Baby Survives Heart
Surgery in the Womb
Apr 6, 2017 12:43 PM CDT
Baby Survives Heart Surgery in the Womb
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia performs only second such operation
- When a woman in Uruguay learned that her 20-week-old fetus was about to die from a tumor taking over his heart, she flew to the one place in the world she knew could help: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. In 2013, the facility performed the first successful surgery to remove...
It Was a Routine Surgery.
Then a Nurse Flipped a Switch
in case you missed it
Oct 29, 2016 10:59 AM CDT
It Was a Routine Surgery. Then a Nurse Flipped a Switch
Private hospital in London is found negligent in banker's death
- An inquest has blamed the death of an American banker who underwent a routine heart valve operation in Britain on a nurse's mistaken move, reports the
. Robert Entenman died in 2015 at age 57 at one of Britain's biggest private hospitals, London Bridge. The American, who left...
Death Rates for Babies Who Have Heart Surgery a Secret
Jun 2, 2015 4:38 PM CDT
Death Rates for Babies Who Have Heart Surgery a Secret
More than half the hospitals that do these procedures don't report, CNN finds
- No parents would ever want their child to have heart surgery, but if it's necessary, at least they can go online and check out which hospitals have the best success rates, right? Not exactly, according to a CNN investigation , which finds that of the 109 hospitals countrywide that perform...
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Has Heart Surgery
Nov 26, 2014 10:07 AM CST
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Heart Surgery
Stent was implanted to clear blockage
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has had a stent implanted to clear a blockage in her right coronary artery. A court spokeswoman says Ginsburg had some discomfort last night during routine exercise and was taken to the hospital. The 81-year-old Ginsburg had the procedure this morning after a coronary...
Man Saved Own
Nov 24, 2013 6:40 AM CST
Man Saved Own Heart—Using Gardening Trick
Now more than 40 have undergone procedure
- A heart problem put a British engineer's life at risk for decades—but presented with surgery options, he was "unimpressed." So Tal Golesworthy, now 57, decided to take matters into his own hands, and the successful procedure he came up with has now helped more than 40...
Bush Has Heart Surgery
Aug 6, 2013 9:10 AM CDT
Bush Has Heart Surgery
President gets a stent put in to fix blocked artery
- George W. Bush has successfully undergone a heart procedure after doctors discovered a blockage in an artery. A spokesman for the former president says a stent was inserted during a procedure today in Texas. The blockage was discovered yesterday during Bush's annual physical. The blockage was opened with no...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.