Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Infected Tourist Blamed
After Top Ski Race Axed
Jan 13, 2021 3:01 PM CST
Infected Tourist Blamed After Top Ski Race Axed
Visitor linked to 27 cases in Swiss resort
- Switzerland's most prestigious ski race has been canceled, and authorities are blaming a British tourist. The Lauberhorn, the longest World Cup downhill race, was called off after a spike in COVID-19 cases, reports Reuters . Authorities in the resort of Wengen say only 10 COVID cases were detected up until...
At Ski Resort, Untouched
Food Trays Were a Clue
Dec 28, 2020 12:18 PM CST
At Ski Resort, Untouched Food Trays Were a Clue
Hundreds of British skiers fled Swiss facility despite quarantine
- Hundreds of British skiers appear to have ignored orders to quarantine at a Swiss ski resort and instead snuck out at night for home, reports Reuters . The unusual situation unfolded at the Swiss resort of Verbier, where more than 420 British guests were staying before Christmas, per the BBC . By...
Young Mormon Missionary
Dies on Swiss Hike
Oct 16, 2020 10:38 AM CDT
Young Mormon Missionary Dies on Swiss Hike
Annabelle Nielsen of Utah, 20, fell down a steep incline
- A 20-year-old Utah woman has died in a hiking accident in Switzerland, where she was serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Annabelle Nielsen was hiking with five other missionaries when she slipped and fell down a steep incline, a rep for the Mormon...
EU Immigration Limits Lose Big
Sep 27, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
EU Immigration Limits Lose Big
Opponents warned of a possible backlash
- Voters in Switzerland on Sunday strongly rejected a nationalist party's proposal to limit the number of European Union citizens allowed to live and work in their country. Public broadcaster SRF reported, based on a partial count, that the measure was rejected by 61.3% of voters, with 38.7%...
Like Something Out of
Willy Wonka: Cocoa Snow
Aug 18, 2020 1:37 PM CDT
Like Something Out of Willy Wonka: Cocoa Snow
It came down around a Swiss factory after a glitch
- Residents of a Swiss town got a bit of a shock when it started snowing particles of a fine cocoa powder after the ventilation system at a chocolate factory malfunctioned. The Lindt & Spruengli company confirmed local reports Tuesday that there was a minor defect in the cooling ventilation for...
As Others Watched in Horror,
Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
Jul 6, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
As Others Watched in Horror, Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
55-year-old worker killed at Zurich Zoo in Switzerland
- A 5-year-old Siberian tiger attacked and killed a zookeeper Saturday at Switzerland's Zurich Zoo as other staff and guests looked on in horror. The BBC reports the attack on the 55-year-old keeper happened just after 1pm local time in the tiger enclosure, where Irina, the female tiger who went...
Owner of Gold
Left on Train
Jun 15, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Switzerland Seeks Owner of Gold Left on Train
Somebody walked off a train last fall and left $200K in gold behind
- Authorities in Switzerland are trying to locate a person who left more than six pounds of gold on a train and apparently didn't miss it. Police say the gold, worth almost $200,000, was left in a parcel on a train between St. Gallen and Lucerne last October, the...
You'll Need to
May 29, 2020 10:02 AM CDT
Switzerland to Sex Workers: You'll Need to Social Distance
Nation gives OK to prostitutes but still prohibits judo, boxing, wrestling, ballroom dancing
- If you're a sex worker in Switzerland, you'll soon be back in business. If you're a judo, ballroom dancing, or boxing aficionado, you're going to have to wait a little longer. Bloomberg reports that the country's legal prostitution industry will be permitted to reopen on...
Ancient Ice Tells
of a Murderous
in case you missed it
Apr 4, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Ancient Ice Tells of a Murderous King's Struggles
Lead pollution sheds light on British turmoil in 12th century
- Scientists say they've found evidence of key moments in British medieval history, including the assassination of an archbishop, nearly 1,000 miles away in the Swiss Alps. There was no sword buried in the snow. Rather, scientists analyzed lead pollution in laser-carved slivers of ice, each representing a period...
This Is the World's
Mar 6, 2020 12:43 PM CST
This Is the World's Best Cheese
Gruyere from Switzerland takes top prize at world's biggest cheese, butter, yogurt competition
- A Gruyere from Switzerland has been named the world's best cheese, chosen from a record number of entrants from 26 nations in the World Championship Cheese Contest in Wisconsin. The cheese from Bern, Switzerland, made its maker, Michael Spycher of Mountain Dairy Fritzenhaus, a two-time winner. Spycher also won...
Cross in Jagermeister
Logo Comes Under Fire
Feb 20, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Cross in Jagermeister Logo Comes Under Fire
Swiss court dismisses claim that it's an affront to Christians
- Jägermeister has emerged the victor in a Swiss court case in which its logo was painted as an insult to Christians. The logo, featuring a cross hovering over the head of a stag, is based on the legend of the 8th-century Christian saint Hubertus, an avid hunter, who is...
Mnuchin on Greta's Fossil
Fuels Comment: Go to College
Jan 23, 2020 7:02 AM CST
Mnuchin on Greta's Fossil Fuels Comment: Go to College
Treasury secretary takes a jab at Swedish climate activist at Davos
- The person from the Trump administration usually criticizing Greta Thunberg is President Trump himself . On Thursday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, however, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin decided to get in on the action with a jab against the 17-year-old Swedish climate activist. The talk had turned to...
At Davos, Trump Talks Up
America's 'Blue-Collar Boom'
Jan 22, 2020 9:11 AM CST
At Davos, Trump Talks Up America's 'Blue-Collar Boom'
President also had a lot to say about impeachment trial
- On the first day of President Trump's impeachment trial, Republican senators stymied Democrats' attempts to bring additional evidence and witnesses, but on the witness topic, Trump says he actually wants to see those like chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and former national security adviser John Bolton brought in to...
Report: Russian Spies
Posed as Plumbers in Davos
Jan 21, 2020 12:52 PM CST
Report: Russian Spies Posed as Plumbers in Davos
Though Russia raises some questions about the report
- It sounds like the plot of a movie: Police in Davos, Switzerland, believe Russian spies attempted to infiltrate this week's World Economic Forum by posing as plumbers, according to a local report and the
. Suspicion first arose when police questioned two Russian men back in August, after...
Greta's Davos Warning:
8 Years to Save the Planet
Jan 21, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Greta's Davos Warning: 8 Years to Save the Planet
She asks world leaders what they will tell their children when catastrophe strikes
- When Greta Thunberg addressed world leaders at the Davos World Economic Forum last year, she memorably told them that "your house is on fire," notes
. This year? "Our house is still on fire," she declared, adding that "your inaction is fueling the flames...
the 10 Best
Nations on Earth
Jan 16, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best Nations on Earth
According to new rankings out by 'US News & World Report'; the US moves up one spot
- This is the fifth year
US News & World Report
has put out its "Best Countries" report, and one country has dominated every year but one. Switzerland is tops again for 2020, as it was in 2019, 2018, and 2017. The magazine, which worked with the BAV Group and...
Crews Find Skiers
Hit by Avalanche
Dec 26, 2019 3:35 PM CST
Crews Find Skiers Hit by Avalanche
A half-dozen were buried in snow in Swiss Alps, but there were no fatalities
- An avalanche in the Swiss Alps left six people buried in the snow Thursday. They either managed to get themselves out or were rescued, CNN reports, and two of them were flown to a hospital with minor injuries. A search crew that included 25 skiers and three helicopters scoured a...
Someone Just Paid
$31M for This Wristwatch
Nov 12, 2019 7:53 AM CST
Someone Just Paid $31M for This Wristwatch
The Patek Philippe auctioned by Christie's is the most expensive wristwatch ever sold
- Someone is about to have a very well-adorned wrist. Christie's held its charity Only Watch auction in Geneva on Saturday to help raise money for research on Duchenne muscular dystrophy, an every-other-year event that features dozens of luxury timepieces, and a one-of-a-kind Patek Philippe earned the title of most...
45 Years After
Stay at Polanski's
Chalet, a 'Time Bomb'
Nov 9, 2019 10:15 AM CST
45 Years After Stay at Polanski's Chalet, a 'Time Bomb'
Former model claims 'extremely violent' rape at hands of director in 1975, when she was 18
- A new accusation has emerged against Roman Polanski, this time from a Frenchwoman who says the film director raped her in 1975, when she was 18. The
reports that former model Valentine Monnier gave her account to
, claiming she was staying at Polanski's ski chalet with...
Why Irish Politicians
Are Seeking to
Unearth James Joyce
Oct 16, 2019 1:04 PM CDT
Why Irish Politicians Are Seeking to Unearth James Joyce
They want him repatriated by 2022, but it won't be easy
- James Joyce could be in for an international move some 70 years after his death. Officials in Ireland hope to dig up the country's "premier writer" in order to repatriate his remains and those of his wife, kept at a Swiss cemetery, before the 100th anniversary of Joyce'...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
They Have 60 Hours to Run 100 Miles. It's Nearly Impossible
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.