Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Ex-Bank CEO's Expense
Report Was Eyebrow-Raising
Apr 13, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
This Ex-Bank CEO's Expense Report Was Eyebrow-Raising
Former Raiffeisen chief Pierin Vincenz gets nearly 4 years in prison after $214K in strip club bills
- A former "banker of the year" in Switzerland used his company credit card to pay for a Tinder date, a trip to Australia, and $214,000 in bills from strip clubs, according to testimony heard in a Zurich court before Pierin Vincenz was sentenced Wednesday to nearly four years...
'Removed From Society'
Jumped From Building
Mar 30, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Family Members 'Removed From Society' Jumped From Building
Swiss police had tried to summon the father shortly before
Four members of a French family who fell to their deaths from an apartment building in Switzerland last week jumped "one after the other," according to police. A 40-year-old man, his 41-year-old wife, her twin sister, and the couple's 8-year-old daughter died. The couple's 15-year-old...
Not So Neutral on Russia
Feb 28, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Neutral Switzerland Not So Neutral on Russia
Nation freezes assets of Putin and Russian oligarchs
- Switzerland is traditionally, famously, neutral in international conflicts, but not this one. The nation said Monday that it would freeze the assets of Vladimir Putin, other top Russian officials, and nearly 400 individuals, reports the
New York Times
. In following the European Union's lead on the penalties, Switzerland condemned...
Whistleblower Reveals 18K
Secret Swiss Bank Accounts
Feb 21, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Whistleblower Reveals 18K Secret Swiss Bank Accounts
Credit Suisse did business with some nefarious characters
- The idea of not-so-upright characters stashing money in a Swiss bank account is a staple of Hollywood—and a large leak of account holders with the giant Credit Suisse suggests it's right on the money:
A whistleblower gave the German newspaper
data on more than
Bank Leader Resigns
Over COVID Breach
Jan 17, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Bank Leader Resigns Over COVID Breach
Credit Suisse Chairman Antonio Horta-Osorio reportedly traveled despite quarantine rules
- Credit Suisse said Monday that its chairman has resigned following an internal investigation that reportedly found he violated quarantine rules intended to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, per the AP . The resignation of Antonio Horta-Osorio, a British-Portuguese national who took the job barely eight months ago, was announced shortly after midnight...
Suicide Pod Can Be
Used in Switzerland
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2021 2:45 PM CST
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
The Sarco is cleared for use
- An assisted suicide pod first introduced three and a half years ago has now been cleared for use in Switzerland. The Sarco, invented by Dr. Philip Nitschke of the Exit International nonprofit, has passed a legal review and can be operated in the country, SwissInfo reports. Assisted suicide was already...
Facebook: Scientist Behind
Misinformation Doesn't Exist
Dec 1, 2021 4:58 PM CST
Facebook: Scientist Behind Misinformation Doesn't Exist
Account claimed US was pushing its scientists to blame virus on China
- A disinformation network with ties to China used hundreds of fake social media accounts— including one belonging to a fictitious Swiss biologist—to spread an unfounded claim that the US pressured scientists to blame China for the coronavirus, Facebook said Wednesday. The company based in Menlo Park, California, did not...
During Pandemic, This Nation's
Economy Takes Top Billing
Sep 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
During Pandemic, This Nation's Economy Takes Top Billing
Switzerland is No. 1 on WIPO's Global Innovation Index for 132 economies around the world
- To get through something like a pandemic, countries have had to innovate—especially when it comes to keeping their economies humming. And there are "reasons to be optimistic" on that front, according to one of the editors of the World Intellectual Property Organization's annual Global Innovation Index , which...
Same-Sex Marriage Wins
Sep 26, 2021 12:25 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage Wins Overwhelming Support
Switzerland approves referendum backed by government and all parties but one
- Swiss voters overwhelmingly approved same-sex marriage on Sunday, endorsing a measure that carried all 26 of the nation's cantons. The referendum was on track to receive the support of 64% of voters, the BBC reports. Supporters expressed relief, and Amnesty International called the decision a "milestone for equality,...
Sep 4, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Same-Sex Marriage
Only civil unions are legal in Switzerland now
- Tens of thousands protested in Switzerland on Saturday for the legalization of same-sex marriage in the Alpine country. The protests came ahead of a national referendum Sept. 26 on the legalization of gay marriage, which has already been introduced in European countries including Germany, Austria, France , and the Netherlands, the...
This Is the
Most Livable City
in the World
Jun 9, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
This Is the Most Livable City in the World
Auckland, NZ, takes top spot in Economist's rankings, though Kiwis give honor the side-eye
- The pandemic has caused a major upset on the Economist Intelligence Unit's annual list of the most livable cities on the planet. Thanks to their relative isolation from the rest of the world, the island nations of New Zealand, Australia, and Japan all had strong showings in the top...
Biden to Meet With
the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
May 25, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Biden to Meet With the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
President, Vladimir Putin will get together next month in Switzerland
- President Biden will meet face to face with Vladimir Putin, the man he recently labeled a "killer," next month in Switzerland. The meeting will take place June 16 in Geneva, and the
New York Times
expects it to focus heavily on nuclear arms. But the pair should have...
Quite a Stir
in case you missed it
Apr 25, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Gymnast's Competition Outfit Causes Quite a Stir
German athlete Sarah Voss wore full bodysuit to take stand against 'sexualization' in the industry
- When the German women's gymnastics team was practicing ahead of the European Artistic Gymnastics Championships held in Basel, Switzerland, this week, the athletes wore full bodysuits for maximum comfort. That's when it hit them, says gymnast Elisabeth Seitz, per the BBC : Why couldn't they wear these outfits...
Swiss Army Relents
on Women's Underwear
Mar 31, 2021 1:53 PM CDT
Swiss Army Relents on Women's Underwear
It will no longer be made-for-men only
- One of Switzerland's big ideas to boost military recruitment involves women's underwear. The BBC reports by way of local media that the country has never provided women's underwear to military recruits. All members of the armed services, regardless of sex, are provided with men's underwear. That...
This Is the Happiest
Country in the World
Mar 19, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Country in the World
It's not the US, which comes in at No. 14, per 'Forbes'
- Saturday is marked as the International Day of Happiness , and in some parts of the world, that contentment factor is especially prevalent.
reports on the 2021 World Happiness Report , the ninth installation, which calls the past year a year "like no other." The Gallup World Poll team...
Swiss Vote to Ban
Mar 7, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Swiss Vote to Ban Face Coverings
Measure covers burqas as well as protesters' masks and bandannas
- Voters in Switzerland on Sunday narrowly approved a proposal to ban face coverings, both the niqabs and burqas worn by a few Muslim women in the country and the ski masks and bandannas used by protesters. The measure will outlaw covering one's face in public places like restaurants, sports...
Switzerland To Let Voters
Decide on Lockdown Power
Jan 17, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Switzerland To Let Voters Decide on Lockdown Power
The populace will choose whether their government can impose such restrictions
- Switzerland will hold a referendum on whether the country's government should have the power to impose lockdowns and other measures used to slow the spread of COVID in the country. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, the vote could be held as soon as June and comes amid disagreement over...
Infected Tourist Blamed
After Top Ski Race Axed
Jan 13, 2021 3:01 PM CST
Infected Tourist Blamed After Top Ski Race Axed
Visitor linked to 27 cases in Swiss resort
- Switzerland's most prestigious ski race has been canceled, and authorities are blaming a British tourist. The Lauberhorn, the longest World Cup downhill race, was called off after a spike in COVID-19 cases, reports Reuters . Authorities in the resort of Wengen say only 10 COVID cases were detected up until...
At Ski Resort, Untouched
Food Trays Were a Clue
Dec 28, 2020 12:18 PM CST
At Ski Resort, Untouched Food Trays Were a Clue
Hundreds of British skiers fled Swiss facility despite quarantine
- Hundreds of British skiers appear to have ignored orders to quarantine at a Swiss ski resort and instead snuck out at night for home, reports Reuters . The unusual situation unfolded at the Swiss resort of Verbier, where more than 420 British guests were staying before Christmas, per the BBC . By...
Young Mormon Missionary
Dies on Swiss Hike
Oct 16, 2020 10:38 AM CDT
Young Mormon Missionary Dies on Swiss Hike
Annabelle Nielsen of Utah, 20, fell down a steep incline
- A 20-year-old Utah woman has died in a hiking accident in Switzerland, where she was serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Annabelle Nielsen was hiking with five other missionaries when she slipped and fell down a steep incline, a rep for the Mormon...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.