Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Wins Its Appeal to
Extradite Julian Assange
Dec 10, 2021 5:41 AM CST
US Wins Its Appeal to Extradite Julian Assange
The extradition request now passes to the home secretary
- "The court allows the appeal," wrote a UK judge in granting the United States' request to extradite Julian Assange. The US was appealing a Jan. 4 ruling that denied the extradition request on the basis of Assange's mental health concerns, with the judge in that case saying...
Can Now Get
Nov 12, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Julian Assange Can Now Get Married
Stella Moris had said the couple was being blocked from wedding
Julian Assange has been given permission to marry his fiancee in prison. The WikiLeaks founder and Stella Moris must pay all the costs themselves, with no taxpayer money involved, the BBC reports. Moris reportedly said she's "relieved that reason prevailed" and that she hopes "there will...
Canada to Manning: Come
Here So We Can Deport You
Oct 8, 2021 8:31 AM CDT
Canada to Manning: Come Here So We Can Deport You
'Confounding' request was made ahead of hearing on admissibility to country
- Chelsea Manning is fighting to be allowed into Canada, and the Canadian government recently made her an offer that she decided to refuse. In advance of a hearing that started Thursday, the former Army intelligence analyst was invited to attend in person in Montreal—so that border agents could physically...
Report: CIA Considered
Sep 27, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
Report: CIA Considered Assassinating Assange
Yahoo investigation says former chief Pompeo was 'seeing blood'
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is currently imprisoned in London, but a Yahoo News investigation suggests things could have gone much worse for him. The story asserts that the CIA under Mike Pompeo and former President Trump considered kidnapping or even killing Assange while he was holed up in the Ecuadorian...
Julian Assange's Citizenship
Jul 28, 2021 12:11 AM CDT
Ecuador Revokes Julian Assange's Citizenship
Wikileaks founder's lawyer pledges to appeal
- Ecuador has revoked the citizenship of Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks who is currently in a British prison. Ecuador’s justice system formally notified the Australian of the nullity of his naturalization in a letter that came in response to a claim filed by the South American country’s...
No Supermax for Assange, US
Promises in Extradition Appeal
Jul 7, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
No Supermax for Assange, US Promises in Extradition Appeal
British court agrees to reconsider American case
- In an effort to win the extradition of Julian Assange, the US has told Britain the WikiLeaks founder would not be sent to the Supermax prison in Colorado if convicted. Along with others, the assurance was part of an appeal of a ruling by a British judge in January blocking...
Jan 10, 2021 2:45 PM CST
Assange Awaits Decision Monday
WikiLeaks founder faces extradition from UK
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange will find out Monday whether he can be extradited from the UK to the US to face espionage charges over the publication of secret American military documents. District Judge Vanessa Baraitser is due to deliver her decision at London's Old Bailey courthouse at 10am Monday,...
Gets More Bad News
Jan 6, 2021 6:41 AM CST
WikiLeaks Founder Gets More Bad News
UK judge denies bail to Julian Assange, saying he's a flight risk
- A UK judge on Wednesday denied bail to WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange, who has been jailed in Britain since 2019 as he fights extradition to the US. District Judge Vanessa Baraitser ordered Assange to remain in prison while the courts consider an appeal by US authorities against a decision not...
Lawyer Says She
Witnessed Trump Offer
to Pardon Assange
Sep 18, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Lawyer Says She Witnessed Trump Offer to Pardon Assange
Jennifer Robinson tells court GOP congressman Rohrabacher proposed the deal
- A London court has been told in detail that President Trump offered Julian Assange a deal for a pardon through a Republican congressman. Jennifer Robinson, Assange's lawyer, provided a witness statement in which she said she was there when Dana Rohrabacher, a Republican House member at the time, presented...
Assange Outburst Leads to
'Clear Warning' From Judge
Sep 8, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Assange Outburst Leads to 'Clear Warning' From Judge
WikiLeaks founder on thin ice after shouting during witness testimony in London courtroom
- A judge threatened to have Julian Assange thrown from the London courtroom where he's fighting extradition to the US from Britain on Tuesday after he shouted from the dock during witness testimony. "If you interrupt proceedings and disrupt a witness who is properly giving their evidence, it is...
Assange, in Court,
Loses Bid for Delay
Sep 7, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Assange, in Court, Loses Bid for Delay
Lawyers argued they didn't have time to prepare for broadened US case
- A British judge on Monday rejected a request by lawyers for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to delay his extradition hearing until next year to give his lawyers more time to respond to US allegations that he conspired with hackers to obtain classified information, per the AP . The adjournment request came...
DOJ: Assange Was
on an International
Jun 25, 2020 7:07 AM CDT
DOJ: Assange Was on an International Hacking Mission
New indictment says WikiLeaks founder tried to recruit hackers in Europe, Asia
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange sought to recruit hackers at conferences in Europe and Asia who could provide his anti-secrecy website with classified info, and conspired with members of hacking groups, per a new Justice Department indictment Wednesday. The superseding indictment doesn't contain additional charges beyond the 18 counts the...
Free on Bail
Jun 1, 2020 4:33 PM CDT
Australians Want Assange Free on Bail
WikiLeaks founder skips court hearing
- Julian Assange refused to attend a court hearing Monday in England, even as a group of Australian lawmakers, journalists and human rights advocates pushed for him to be released on bail. A judge in London said an email from the prison where the WikiLeaks founder is being held said that...
Stone to Assange:
'I'll Bring Down the
Entire House of Cards'
Apr 29, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Stone to Assange: 'I'll Bring Down the Entire House of Cards'
Documents reveal 2017 communications, 2016 political influence campaign
- President Trump's associate Roger Stone used hundreds of fake Facebook accounts to push stories related to Russia and WikiLeaks around the 2016 election, while keeping in contact with Julian Assange, according to former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigators. One of dozens of search warrants unsealed Tuesday indicates Stone...
Woman Reveals Her
Julian Assange Secret
Apr 12, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Woman Reveals Her Julian Assange Secret
Stella Morris says they had 2 children together
- Looks like Julian Assange had a secret life in the Ecuadorian Embassy. A woman claims in a new video that she had two children with the WikiLeaks founder as he hid in the embassy in London, the
reports. "I love Julian deeply and I am looking forward...
Mar 12, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Judge Orders Chelsea Manning Freed
Grand jury that subpoenaed her testimony no longer exists
- A federal judge on Thursday ordered the release of former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning, who has been incarcerated since May for refusing to testify to a grand jury. US District Judge Anthony Trenga ordered Manning's release from jail after prosecutors reported that the grand jury that subpoenaed her...
End It All
Mar 12, 2020 1:07 AM CDT
Lawyers: Chelsea Manning Tries to End It All
The former intelligence officer has been in jail for refusing to testify
- Chelsea Manning's legal team said Wednesday that the former intelligence analyst tried to take her own life Wednesday, but was transported to a hospital where she is recovering, the AP reports. Manning has been in jail since May 2019 for refusing to testify before a grand jury investigating WikiLeaks....
Assange Lawyer: They Stripped
Him Twice on Day One
Feb 25, 2020 1:23 PM CST
Assange Lawyer: They Stripped Him Twice on Day One
Attorney says client is being mistreated as extradition hearing continues
- A lawyer for Julian Assange complained Tuesday that the WikiLeaks founder was handcuffed 11 times, stripped naked twice, and had court papers taken away on the first day of a hearing on his extradition to the United States, per the AP . Attorney Edward Fitzgerald told a judge that the treatment...
Yeah, I Talked to
Assange About a Pardon
Feb 20, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Ex-Congressman: Yeah, I Talked to Assange About a Pardon
But Rohrabacher says Trump had nothing to do with it
- Former GOP congressman Dana Rohrabacher tells Yahoo News in a new interview that, yes, he did talk to Julian Assange about getting the WikiLeaks founder a presidential pardon if Assange said that Russia was not responsible for the DNC email leak . However, he says he never actually spoke to President...
Assange's Lawyer Makes
Explosive Claim Involving Trump
Feb 19, 2020 3:48 PM CST
Assange's Lawyer Makes Explosive Claim Involving Trump
Alleges Trump offered him a pardon if he'd say Russia had no hand in DNC email leak
- Julian Assange's extradition hearing begins on Monday, but an explosive claim was heard in a pre-trial hearing Wednesday in London: that Assange was in August 2017 allegedly offered a pardon by President Trump if he would say Russia had no role in the leak of DNC emails, which WikiLeaks...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.